Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    it was a ground for all of us.
    Yes agree. All teams used play there at some point each week back in the day (80s).
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

My experience there at our great ground about 5 weeks now. Go Dogs!

"Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

3. Thanks GVGjr, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just whilst this thread has popped up, thought it worthwhile to post about the ending of another chapter for many old Dogs fans' pre and post WO game rituals. Although it hasn't gone the same way as the Buck, or the Rising Sun or the Albert and is thankfully remaining a pub, the Vic or Hart's Hotel in Victoria Street, Footscray closed its doors last month.

Thankfully (to some extent) it's going the way of the Plough.... Upmarket, or slightly 'hipster' that is.. Another sign of gentrification. Will have to wait and see if it gets the thumbs up.... I liked the Vic - it was the last of the old breed surrounding WO. Should be grateful that it's remaining a pub. It'd be tragic to have yet more apartments pop up in place of an historic watering hole.

Just hope it doesn't go too wankey!

http://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/n...0170718-gxdqvp

5. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Just whilst this thread has popped up, thought it worthwhile to post about the ending of another chapter for many old Dogs fans' pre and post WO game rituals. Although it hasn't gone the same way as the Buck, or the Rising Sun or the Albert and is thankfully remaining a pub, the Vic or Hart's Hotel in Victoria Street, Footscray closed its doors last month.

Thankfully (to some extent) it's going the way of the Plough.... Upmarket, or slightly 'hipster' that is.. Another sign of gentrification. Will have to wait and see if it gets the thumbs up.... I liked the Vic - it was the last of the old breed surrounding WO. Should be grateful that it's remaining a pub. It'd be tragic to have yet more apartments pop up in place of an historic watering hole.

Just hope it doesn't go too wankey!

http://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/n...0170718-gxdqvp
    You won't be allowed entry unless you have a hipster beard.

Post Thanks / Like

Was great going there to get the experience of what it most likely was like in those 70-80s winters and before for our fans watching the mighty Doggies there. Would consider going to a VFL final there wished I went to the one there in 2014.

Was a good trip in on the Belgrave line getting off at Flinders street then getting on the Sunbury train line to West Footscray. Was fun going in from West Footscray to Southern Cross for the main game afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    You won't be allowed entry unless you have a hipster beard.
    Hmmm, i'll have to glue one on then. If I do I'll go all the way with a Zaine Train mo.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many hipsters does it take to change a light globe?
    Well, I'm not sure so I asked a hipster.
    He stopped re-constucting his de-constucted latte for a moment and opined: "That's an interesting question. I couldn't tell you exactly but I'm sure it's one from an eclectic mix of numbers."
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get down to open training Thursday at 11am
    Last edited by bornadog; 09-08-2017 at 08:28 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately many games are simply unwatchable at the Whitten Oval nowadays when there is a strong wind. With no protection from the old stand, any strong wind makes for a poor standard game.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Get down to open training tomorrow at 11am
    Did any woofers get down to training today?

Enjoyed eating in the Barkers Cafe last time I was there for the VFL game. Had a hotdog and coffee. Will be good next time I go there to check out the Bulldog museum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Did any woofers get down to training today?

Enjoyed eating in the Barkers Cafe last time I was there for the VFL game. Had a hotdog and coffee. Will be good next time I go there to check out the Bulldog museum.
    Sorry, I this is on Thursday - my mistake
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few great pics from the GF training session at Whitten Oval last year. What a great morning that was getting the train in from Parliament and the train driver was a Doggies supporter.

Post Thanks / Like

A few pics from 2017 Pre-season game at the Whitten Oval. 2 of the great Whitten statue.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news ladies and gents...

The Victoria Hotel has once again opened in Footscray. Like our club, pretty unrecognisable to its old self, yet still
    Pleasingly familiar...

Slightly more expensive Parmas, but not as much as some cynics had suggested.. $24 is not so bad.. perhaps...

Just pumped that it's back open. Four and a bit months by my count.

Spent GF night, 2016 there celebrating with all the locals. Can't help feeling it's closure was a bit of a jinx... play on!

20. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking to the manager:

Asked "Will you play all Dogs games?"
    "Yes."

Said "we will support both men's and women's teams."

Good.

He said "Of course. The owner is good friends with both Bob Murphy and Nathan Brown."

I replied " Just to confirm, does Nathan Brown have anything to do with this place?!!"

He replied "No, he just knows the owner."

I said "Okay. Play on."

Maybe not so bad.

Parma was $24. A premium on the $14 half Parma offered at the old Vic. To be fair, it was the same height & width, but thicker and better quality. Chips a bit dry and salad was lacking onion and tomato. But could've been worse.