Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

As a younger Doggie supporter who hasn't experienced a match there as yet I wanted to get woofers insights on what a typical matchday there was for the fans at that time. Was it a case of a short stroll down the street to the WO or was it a longer journey with the car from the other side of the city? Did you go to the pubs before and after games etc etc. things like that.

Love to hear some stories.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Very different now compared to when I used to watch us play games there.

Early on for me it was with the parents or grand parents standing for more than 6 quarters of football.

In my teens, traveling down from the country by train and once again standing for the vast majority of 2 games on the day. Long trip home probably getting there by 7.15pm to 7.30pm. Jam doughnuts were a culinary highlight before getting on to the train.

Later on when I was living in Melbourne I was in the ground the moment the gates opened and raced up the stairs to secure a seat in the Can Bar. To this day the best seats I have had at a game of footy sitting right near the 3WRB team "Footballs Best in the West" listening to the Big H, Tommy Lahif and Raquel Stevens.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Train from ripponlea , they had to hand write the train ticket
    Change at flinders st a hub of different footy supporters wearing their colours
    I remember people getting on the train with live chickens they had bought at the market
    Get off at west footscray walking across the bridge full of excitement
    Usually a long trip home

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid we'd have salad rolls for lunch and I'd walk up to the ground with my mates. It was was the first place I was allowed to go by myself. We didn't always go straight there.

The Can Bar was the most brilliant place to watch footy from ever, period. I reckon anyway. You could almost bang on the window of the coach's box. Poor Alan Jeans having to sit there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Easty, this is your big chance to finally visit WO on Sunday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Moved this thread to the Bulldogs Unleashed board. Thought it is better suited here.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bump. Thought I'd bring this thread up. It's a good off season type Bulldog thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Late 70's first memory of dad and I driving from Mulgrave near Waverley Park in our blue fairlane marquis LTD with the velour trim driving to my nanna's house(RIP) in Adelaide St Saturday mornings.
    Sometimes we would have fish and chips for lunch from around the corner from her house,caked with skipping girl brown vinegar DELICIOUS!.Other days we would meet my Nan and her bestie Uncle Bert at the ground at the scoreboard end just to the left of the goals with prime front row seats as the two of them would be there when the gates opened to watch all 3 matches.
    They would always have on hand for dad and I a couple of rounds of cornbeef and pickle sangers and a full thermos of hot tomato soup(I can taste and smell it all as if it was yesterday).
    Mum would always stay at home as she didn't want to see her to MEN upset after another unforseable heavy loss,hoping the long drive back home to Mulgrave would erase most of the disappoint from another loss but it never truly did.

12. Likes Eastdog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Being brought up in Glen Waverley it was always a long trip out on the train, changing at Flinders St station...but it was often a much longer trip home after another loss. Having never lived in the western suburbs, it was somewhat strange that I always felt at home at the Western Oval and I look back on those times with great affection even though the facilities were well under par.

When I got my licence it was a much easier trip and I always managed to find a park in the side streets of Footscray between the ground and Gordon St. Loved getting there a bit early to watch the reserves do their thing and see who the young blokes were pushing for senior selection.

When I married and we started our family I introduced my young son to the experience at a fairly young age. I used to bring some foldaway steps with me that enabled him to climb up and see the game. They used to let you bring in almost anything those days. Happy times.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

14. Likes Eastdog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. Some great insights into the long and short trips for woofers around in the VFL days to the spiritual home. Did you usually have a drink before and after the games at the pub nearby. After win I'm sure many of you would have

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Some great insights into the long and short trips for woofers around in the VFL days to the spiritual home. Did you usually have a drink before and after the games at the pub nearby. After win I'm sure many of you would have
    The Rising Sun Hotel and The Buck were great spots to catch up with some mates before and after a game, especially after a win.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    The Rising Sun Hotel and The Buck were great spots to catch up with some mates before and after a game, especially after a win.
    And the Albert.

All gone now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And the Albert.

All gone now.
    I think you mentioned there now sites for apartments which seems to be the trend nowadays not just in the inner city areas but in the suburbs as well as the population increases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I think you mentioned there now sites for apartments which seems to be the trend nowadays not just in the inner city areas but in the suburbs as well as the population increases.

Yep. All the pubs mentioned are now apartments. Horrible looking dog boxes they are.

I noticed the other day that the front bar of The Buck is still intact, maybe they are planning on opening it as a micro pub?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And the Albert.

All gone now.
    and the can bar
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.