Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ascot Vale and Maribyrong are Essendon territory

Maribyrnong is more disputed than that I reckon. It's the wrong side of the River to be Essendon's but I sort of see their point given you could literally kick a footy from Maribyrnong into Essendon.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Maribyrnong is more disputed than that I reckon. It's the wrong side of the River to be Essendon's but I sort of see their point given you could literally kick a footy from Maribyrnong into Essendon.
    Maybe it is in the west with the river as the border.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ascot Vale and Maribyrong are Essendon territory
    I'll grant Ascot Vale. In fact I believe Essendon's original home ground was in Ascot Vale. I was just chipping away at off stump on that one, as I reckon a bit of crossover's crept in over the years.

However Maribyrnong is absolutely our turf - not Essendon's.

Post Thanks / Like

Maribyrnong /Ascot Vale are ranked as our 12th biggest membership area and are 14th for Essendon. They of course have more members than us overall but I'd reckon we'd probably have more in Maribyrnong and they certainly would have far more in Ascot Vale.

Interestingly, this is also the 8th ranked area for North but I reckon like Essendon these would be significantly more located in Ascot Vale.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/int...4eade7b2dc620b

5. Thanks Twodogs, boydogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Maribyrnong /Ascot Vale are ranked as our 12th biggest membership area and are 14th for Essendon. They of course have more members than us overall but I'd reckon we'd probably have more in Maribyrnong and they certainly would have far more in Ascot Vale.

Interestingly, this is also the 8th ranked area for North but I reckon like Essendon these would be significantly more located in Ascot Vale.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/int...4eade7b2dc620b
    Thanks PI, that's a great tool. I wonder if winning the premiership last year has affected us one way or the other in those areas?

I have always said that if you go to Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds or Essendon train stations and check the cars in the car park there are always more bulldoog bumper stickers on the cars parked there than there are Essendon, or North Melbourne for that matter.

That means there are more bulldog supporters living there than we think or people are driving from St Albans and other western suburbs really early in the morning and taking all the parking spots.

7. Likes Prince Imperial, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PI, that's a great tool. I wonder if winning the premiership last year has affected us one way or the other in those areas?

I have always said that if you go to Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds or Essendon train stations and check the cars in the car park there are always more bulldoog bumper stickers on the cars parked there than there are Essendon, or North Melbourne for that matter.

That means there are more bulldog supporters living there than we think or people are driving from St Albans and other western suburbs really early in the morning and taking all the parking spots.
    I don't know if you've seen the Outsiders yet, but in an early scene Bob is driving to the Whitten Oval from his home in North Fitzroy for our 2015 preseason game and he sees a car with a Doggies sticker and he comments that he sees more such stickers on cars everywhere than for any other club. This was after four years of not playing finals and 60 seasons without a premiership! I think we underestimate just how proud and passionate and loyal our supporter base has been over such a long period of heartbreak and struggle.

Interestingly, Essendon/Aberfeldie is our 15th highest area so I suspect we have a decent following along that train line.

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just on the Port discussion, the Swans have it as their 10th highest membership area in Melbourne and geographically it makes sense given their South Melbourne heritage. Given the Swans only have 12k Vic members, it's probably no mans land overall though.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you've seen the Outsiders yet, but in an early scene Bob is driving to the Whitten Oval from his home in North Fitzroy for our 2015 preseason game and he sees a car with a Doggies sticker and he comments that he sees more such stickers on cars everywhere than for any other club. This was after four years of not playing finals and 60 seasons without a premiership! I think we underestimate just how proud and passionate and loyal our supporter base has been over such a long period of heartbreak and struggle.

Interestingly, Essendon/Aberfeldie is our 15th highest area so I suspect we have a decent following along that train line.

Go ahead, underestimate us. But remember you'll be doing it at your peril. The way you end up after this transaction is completely down to you...

Just on the Port discussion, the Swans have it as their 10th highest membership area in Melbourne and geographically it makes sense given their South Melbourne heritage. Given the Swans only have 12k Vic members, it's probably no mans land overall though.

One of my friends grew up in Port Melbourne (in a pub in Port in the '70s-could you imagine the pleasant Sunday mornings?. Shes got a huge stockpile of stories about the Painters and Dockers, Billy Longly, putty nose Nicholls and all those blokes) anyway she's a huge Swanny supporter.

12. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I live in Flemington. My thoughts...

Flemington, Kensington, West Melbourne (North Melbourne station is even there)= North Melbourne
    Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds= Essendon
    Port Melbourne= Going to give this one to the Dees but really as neutral as it gets.
    West Melbourne has Footscray Road. When I see the Port of Melbourne I feel that is part of our heartland.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The Port of Melbourne and Port Melbourne are different places Easty.

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Port of Melbourne and Port Melbourne are different places Easty.
    Yep the Port of Melbourne is part of West Melbourne not to be confused with Port Melbourne which is south of the Port of Melbourne.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yep the Port of Melbourne is part of West Melbourne not to be confused with Port Melbourne which is south of the Port of Melbourne.

My brain is starting to hurt!

Post Thanks / Like

My brain is starting to hurt!
    Yeah that does give the mind a workout. Anyway back to Port Melbourne the suburb being part of the western suburbs I believe the Port Melbourne Colts did play in the Western Region Football League along with a few teams from the Flemington/Kensington area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I'll grant Ascot Vale. In fact I believe Essendon's original home ground was in Ascot Vale. I was just chipping away at off stump on that one, as I reckon a bit of crossover's crept in over the years.

However Maribyrnong is absolutely our turf - not Essendon's.
    Maribyrnong clearly is ours. Footscray Town Hall is HQ for Maribyrnong Council!

20. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yeah that does give the mind a workout. Anyway back to Port Melbourne the suburb being part of the western suburbs I believe the Port Melbourne Colts did play in the Western Region Football League along with a few teams from the Flemington/Kensington area.
    I played footy for flem/ken at the old Holland park and it was all north supporters back then.
    Through my experiences , braybrook all the way to Melton are very bulldog owned and I think out Werribee way we are getting a lot of Sudanese etc coming on board.
    Tarniet, hoppers seem to be growing as a bulldog heartland too.
    Bring back the biff