Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yes sounds like you made a good decision. Yeah I remember you used to live there Twodogs in West Footscray just past Warleigh Road.
    I did, in Clive Street. It was an awesome place to live. A really good neighbourhood close to the Barkly Street shopping precinct and Some supermarket. Neighbours were nice and lots had kids the same age as my kids. Close to public transport-i could be at telstradome in 20 minutes. But nothing lasts forever I guess.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I did, in Clive Street. It was an awesome place to live. A really good neighbourhood close to the Barkly Street shopping precinct and Some supermarket. Neighbours were nice and lots had kids the same age as my kids. Close to public transport-i could be at telstradome in 20 minutes. But nothing lasts forever I guess.
    Not sure where I read it but they said that West Footscray was a suburb in Melbourne that had a strong community spirit.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Not sure where I read it but they said that West Footscray was a suburb in Melbourne that had a strong community spirit.
    It certainly does. A great place to live. I used to see Tory Dickson and Tom Campbell around there quite a bit. I think they must have lived locally.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which end of Clive st? I lived on Barkley st for awhile, near the intersection of Russell which crosses Clive. Went to West Footscray Primary on Argle st.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Which end of Clive st? I lived on Barkley st for awhile, near the intersection of Russell which crosses Clive. Went to West Footscray Primary on Argle st.
    No 4. Our next door neighbours were on the corner of Clarke street. Russell was the other end of the block.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No 4. Our next door neighbours were on the corner of Clarke street. Russell was the other end of the block.
    3 min walk around the corner from me, but I was there in 1961 to 63. My uncle ran the fish and chips shop, and he went overseas for a few years, so the old man agreed to run it. The trams use to come right pass our door those days. i remember walking to the ground as a 5 year old for home matches.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3 min walk around the corner from me, but I was there in 1961 to 63. My uncle ran the fish and chips shop, and he went overseas for a few years, so the old man agreed to run it. The trams use to come right pass our door those days. i remember walking to the ground as a 5 year old for home matches.
    I drove past the other day and the fish shop was gone. It must be the first fish shop I've seen close down ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You're one of those latte sipping Yarraville hipsters now, TD?
    We even have a record store now.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We even have a record store now.
    Having a Grill'd on such a prominent corner must kill you
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Having a Grill'd on such a prominent corner must kill you
    I can live with Grill'd. Better than the empty shop on the corner opposite.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid we lived near the corner of Williamstown rd and Francis street Yarraville and walked to and from all home games. A good walk but it was a breeze when we won.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I drove past the other day and the fish shop was gone. It must be the first fish shop I've seen close down ever.
    It has been gone for a very long time. My uncle ran it up to the early 80s.

Post Thanks / Like

You're one of those latte sipping Yarraville hipsters now, TD?
    Born and bred mate. I lived here when local cuisine was the hotdogs the bakery sold and Fred's was the fashion capital!

As Ollie Olsen says:

19. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been gone for a very long time. My uncle ran it up to the early 80s.
    You've been living in East Melbourne for too long. It was there until early last year.

:

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Born and bred mate. I lived here when local cuisine was the hotdogs the bakery sold and Fred's was the fashion capital!

As Ollie Olsen says:

Your an old-school Yarraville man TD

My grandad worked in the CBA in old school Footscray and old school Port Melbourne
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"