Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You've been living in East Melbourne for too long. It was there until early last year.

:
    Ok. we are talking different shops. My uncle owned the building and sold it off and the new people had a different business there. His shop was on the the north side of Barkley st between Argle st and Buxton.

The fish and chip shop you are talking about is on the opposite side of Barkley (south side of street) but close to Russell st - that was opened after my Uncle's closed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Your an old-school Yarraville man TD

My grandad worked in the CBA in old school Footscray and old school Port Melbourne
    I can remember when Dennis Pagan was coach of Yarraville.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Pagan

From Wikipedia: Pagan's coaching career began when he took the role of captain-coach of the Yarraville Football Club in the VFA second division in 1979. He piloted the team to the 1980 minor premiership and Grand Final, but the club lost the Grand Final against Brunswick.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ok. we are talking different shops. My uncle owned the building and sold it off and the new people had a different business there. His shop was on the the north side of Barkley st between Argle st and Buxton.

The fish and chip shop you are talking about is on the opposite side of Barkley (south side of street) but close to Russell st - that was opened after my Uncle's closed.
    Yep. That's the one I mean, two doors down from Russell Street. I think that there was a fish shop in Essex Street that we used to walk to from Whitten oval at halftime back in the '70s. It was still there last time I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Pagan

From Wikipedia: Pagan's coaching career began when he took the role of captain-coach of the Yarraville Football Club in the VFA second division in 1979. He piloted the team to the 1980 minor premiership and Grand Final, but the club lost the Grand Final against Brunswick.
    That GF was one of my worst days at the footy ever. We really should have won. That side was far too good to be playing in the second division of the VFA.

I remember one day at halftime Pagan told the players they were playing like cowboys with pineapples on their heads. Still trying to figure that one out.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a lot of the Yarraville matches from the 60's onwards. I vaguely remember Don Whitten had Ted give the 3/4 time address to the players. Not sure which game though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I saw a lot of the Yarraville matches from the 60's onwards. I vaguely remember Don Whitten had Ted give the 3/4 time address to the players. Not sure which game though.
    Before my time. I started following them when David Thorpe was coach. I think it was in 1977.

Post Thanks / Like

Before my time. I started following them when David Thorpe was coach. I think it was in 1977.
    Ok. For a number of years it was the dogs on a Saturday and the Eagles on a Sunday. I stopped following as much when the were delegated to 2nd division. 1961 was a great year. Eagles won the premiership and doggies played off in the GF. A lot of the Yarraville shops had the Eagles and doggies colours showing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. For a number of years it was the dogs on a Saturday and the Eagles on a Sunday. I stopped following as much when the were delegated to 2nd division. 1961 was a great year. Eagles won the premiership and doggies played off in the GF. A lot of the Yarraville shops had the Eagles and doggies colours showing.
    I really enjoyed the fact that you could go into the rooms at halftime and the players stayed for a pissup after the game, I can remember one night Richard Radziminski decided to do a poll among his teammates and the opposition players about whether sex the night before a game affected player performance. He got some very odd looks! Winning lots of games was pretty good too.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed the fact that you could go into the rooms at halftime and the players stayed for a pissup after the game, I can remember one night Richard Radziminski decided to do a poll among his teammates and the opposition players about whether sex the night before a game affected player performance. He got some very odd looks! Winning lots of games was pretty good too.
    Yes good days TD. Rags was a local too wasn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes good days TD. Rags was a local too wasn't he?
    From the FDL from memory.

He wore three different numbers in his fourteen games for Footscray

Post Thanks / Like

Ted Whitten after leading Footscray into the 1961 GF was then invited to Coach Yarraville in their 1961 Premiership win. Their normal Coach, ex St Kilda full back and twice B&F winner , Keith Drinan, had led Yarraville into the GF but due to a business trip to South Africa was forced to miss the Grand Final which they won easily against Williamstown with Ted Whitten being invited to take over as its winning Premiership Coach.

12. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit late to this thread i know.... Grew up in Ivanhoe, my dad is the most diehard dogs fan north of the yarra in the 80's (and probably still now). For us it was always a drive - a fair drive too through clifton hill, parkdale, flemington, then into footscray. We'd always park a walk from the ground as we never paid for parking (i still dont). Spent my childhood weekends usually freezing my ass off in the forward pocket of the Barkly Street end of Western Oval. Or we'd trek out to opponents grounds, pay the 50c entry fee and be surrounded by opposition fans - but this thread is about WO.

These days I never go there, the last couple of times has been by train. Can only imagine the station has changed completely from those days.
    The dam wall has busted!

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Bit late to this thread i know.... Grew up in Ivanhoe, my dad is the most diehard dogs fan north of the yarra in the 80's (and probably still now). For us it was always a drive - a fair drive too through clifton hill, parkdale, flemington, then into footscray. We'd always park a walk from the ground as we never paid for parking (i still dont). Spent my childhood weekends usually freezing my ass off in the forward pocket of the Barkly Street end of Western Oval. Or we'd trek out to opponents grounds, pay the 50c entry fee and be surrounded by opposition fans - but this thread is about WO.

These days I never go there, the last couple of times has been by train. Can only imagine the station has changed completely from those days.
    Parkville you mean AshMac

Yeah great stuff AshMac. Many Dogs supporters back in the day I reckon did indeed travel a quite a way each week to see us in action on the Saturday.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post

The station has actually changed location. They knocked it down and moved it about 300 metres along Cross street about 3 or 4 years ago.

17. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Ted Whitten after leading Footscray into the 1961 GF was then invited to Coach Yarraville in their 1961 Premiership win. Their normal Coach, ex St Kilda full back and twice B&F winner , Keith Drinan, had led Yarraville into the GF but due to a business trip to South Africa was forced to miss the Grand Final which they won easily against Williamstown with Ted Whitten being invited to take over as its winning Premiership Coach.
    Thanks for that NBP. I was at the game but it is foggy at the best.