Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and the can bar

What a great place. The number one footy viewing spot of all time.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What a great place. The number one footy viewing spot of all time.
    I'm not old enough to know the can bar, where was it?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'm not old enough to know the can bar, where was it?

Top Deck John Gent Stand. You can see a great big section between the media boxes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Top Deck John Gent Stand. You can see a great big section between the media boxes.
    Thanks. Was it just an open standing area?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Yes and it was pretty much rubbish up there but who cared.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Two rows of seats and standing room behind that. I used to get there early and rush up the stairs and grab a seat near a former U19's coach who had a seat reserved for him. The best time was when Harry and Tommy would call the football on 3WRB. I could see them calling the game while I was listening to them.

Sausage sizzle, pie warmer, beer and soft drink was all you could buy up there.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. It was a large concrete bunker with a concrete floor, some shoddy rooms for corporate guests, media and the coaching staff on one side and accommodation for the timekeepers on the other. Access was via an internal, enclosed stairway. It was kind of cool, this tunnel through the standvthen you came to a corridor that led behind the Corporate and coaching suites and through a door into this large space that seemed to hover over the ground.

Yes and it was pretty much rubbish up there but who cared.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Two rows of seats and standing room behind that. I used to get there early and rush up the stairs and grab a seat near a former U19's coach who had a seat reserved for him. The best time was when Harry and Tommy would call the football on 3WRB. I could see them calling the game while I was listening to them.

Sausage sizzle, pie warmer, beer and soft drink was all you could buy up there.

With a bar at the back that sold proper beer in cans. My favourite feature was the proximity of the home team's coaching box. Poor Alan Joyce almost had to walk through the drunks at the breaks to get out of there.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff. The Can bar from the sound of it would of been a great place to be being a Bulldog supporter. I'm sure also many of you would of gone into the ground back there and mingle with the players post match something which unfortunately doesn't happen today. After our VFL GF win going onto the ground at Etihad was a great experience for me going to the footy.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bump.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Walked across Barkly St - always went home at half time for a cuppa or stiff drink depending on the score. Stood behind Barkly St goals downwind of a can bar or sat in Whitten Stand with my Dad if it was raining.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How lucky were you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    Walked across Barkly St - always went home at half time for a cuppa or stiff drink depending on the score. Stood behind Barkly St goals downwind of a can bar or sat in Whitten Stand with my Dad if it was raining.
    Drove from either Flemington, /Geelong or Northern Victoria - depending on where we were residing at the time.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a good range of Doggies fans who just went down the road to get to WO and others who drove or took the train there from further away back in the day. Great stories.

Post Thanks / Like

As a kid I walked up Willy Road with my dad from our home just off Francis Street. It was a great walk back when we won.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    As a kid I walked up Willy Road with my dad from our home just off Francis Street. It was a great walk back when we won.

Which street B4L?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Which street B4L?
    Bena street Td