Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Bena street Td
    I grew up in Wales St in my first four years opposite the park. My dad was an immigrant but fell in love with the game and of course chose Footscray because we lived there. We moved further west for a couple of years but came back to live on Barkley st to look after my uncles fish & Chips shop for two years while he travelled overseas. I clearly remember walking to the ground from there for home games. My father never ventured to away games those days as it was difficult with the hours in the shop.

When we left Barkley st to go back to our own home we travelled to the ground by train from Sunshine station. This continued till I was old enough to buy a car or a mate had a car and then we drove.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I grew up in Wales St in my first four years opposite the park. My dad was an immigrant but fell in love with the game and of course chose Footscray because we lived there. We moved further west for a couple of years but came back to live on Barkley st to look after my uncles fish & Chips shop for two years while he travelled overseas. I clearly remember walking to the ground from there for home games. My father never ventured to away games those days as it was difficult with the hours in the shop.

When we left Barkley st to go back to our own home we travelled to the ground by train from Sunshine station. This continued till I was old enough to buy a car or a mate had a car and then we drove.
    Can't get any better than that BAD a feed of fish 'n chips after a game.

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which Fish and Chip shop was it BAD? Was it the one closest to the ground or the one further up amongst all the shops?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Which Fish and Chip shop was it BAD? Was it the one closest to the ground or the one further up amongst all the shops?
    Doesn't exist any more. It was between Argle st and Blanford st. I went to the Argle st Footscray West Primary school for prep and year 1.

We are talking about the 1960's here , I was pretty young then so hard to remember everything. My Dad use to take us behind the Barkly st goals.

I just remembered something, there use to be a tram all the way down to there but got ripped up at some stage, but we usually walked to the ground.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the fish and Chip shop near St Johns primary and across the road from Charlie Sutton's old pub ( later owned by Dale Lewis) . Attended often and missed part of the third quarter ( sometimes a good thing)

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't exist any more. It was between Argle st and Blanford st. I went to the Argle st Footscray West Primary school for prep and year 1.

We are talking about the 1960's here , I was pretty young then so hard to remember everything. My Dad use to take us behind the Barkly st goals.

I just remembered something, there use to be a tram all the way down to there but got ripped up at some stage, but we usually walked to the ground.
    Yep, I remember it. Halftime dim sims!

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I remember the fish and Chip shop near St Johns primary and across the road from Charlie Sutton's old pub ( later owned by Dale Lewis) . Attended often and missed part of the third quarter ( sometimes a good thing)
    That would be in Essex st. That was the one we sprinted for if BAD's shop was too full already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep, I remember it. Halftime dim sims!

That would be in Essex st. That was the one we sprinted for if BAD's shop was too full already.
    Essex st is alot close to the ground than where we were.

Post Thanks / Like

Essex st is alot close to the ground than where we were.
    The spot I'm talking about had a milk bar and a hairdresser as well.
    Milk Bar? Remember those?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    The spot I'm talking about had a milk bar and a hairdresser as well.
    Milk Bar? Remember those?
    That's the one.it was pretty close to the ground But had worse dimmy's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Bump
    More bumps today Eastie than a mogul run.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Dad packed us kids into the back of his little 4wd and we made the trip up from Geelong every second weekend. Sometimes we caught a train to Waverley when we played there, that was a long trip home! Dad's 4wd had no cushions in the back, just two army like steel benches that faced each other. It was always my uncle in the passenger seat and me and three cousins in the back, all red, white and blue flying our scarves proudly out the window.

We always stood at the south west end on top of the basalt slope and we always brought a milk crate each to stand on with folded up cardboard inside it so we could slide down the slope at half time.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question. Because the Albert, The Buckingham and I cant even remember what it was called on the otherside of the walkbridge at West Footscray station are now all apartments where does one go for a refreshing ale pre and post match? Harts is the only place I can think of or Mona Castle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    Question. Because the Albert, The Buckingham and I cant even remember what it was called on the otherside of the walkbridge at West Footscray station are now all apartments where does one go for a refreshing ale pre and post match? Harts is the only place I can think of or Mona Castle?
    The Plough does good fish and chips as well as pizza but that's all I've eaten there. They've got a fairly diverse menu (Rabbit Lasange) and a big range of craft beers if that's your thing. It's about half a km to the ground, or a 5 minute walk.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    Harts (aka the Vic) is the best bet, now. Very good food - much better than 2-3 years ago. The pub over the foot bridge at West Footscray Station was the Rising Sun. It's now apartments.

The Plough is good, but pricey. The Mona Castle is a decent 15min walk, but worth it. If you really want to see "alternative" Footscray, the Dancing Dog is okay, but also a 15min walk.

There's a new bar on Barkly Street just next to the old Barkly Hotel (which is now a Lentil Restaurant) which is okay, but the name escapes me.

My tip is either the Plough for upmarket, "new Footscray" or the Vic Harts for good value, older school, earthier Footscray. I like them both.

17. Likes hotdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    There's a new bar on Barkly Street just next to the old Barkly Hotel (which is now a Lentil Restaurant) which is okay, but the name escapes me..
    Seriously, the Neil's of this world have a lot to answer for.The old diggers who used to drink there would be turning in their graves.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

19. Likes Webby liked this post