Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Don't live in Footscray but we have places around here I can buy food like that. There is a small Asian Grocery close by that sells a lot of it. My heart was always been Vegetarian just never had the will power to do it and then just one day it clicked and I haven't eaten meat since. I enjoy food so much more now and try so many wonderful types of food as a Vegetarian something I never would have done as a meat eater. It's not for everyone and I'm no preacher but you would be surprised how easy the transition is, it's well worth it.
    My daughter is vegetarian, so I cook meatless dishes for myself and wife a few days a week. Most nights I cook two types of meals. Its amazing how many great recipes there are for vegetarian meals. I can highly recommend these books:

http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/our-books/
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My daughter is vegetarian, so I cook meatless dishes for myself and wife a few days a week. Most nights I cook two types of meals. Its amazing how many great recipes there are for vegetarian meals. I can highly recommend these books:

http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/our-books/
    I love a good vegetarian meal, it complements a medium rare t-bone magnificently.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

4. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BAD for that link and to G-Mo77 for your sharing your success from meat eater to vegetarian. Food for thought...or rather thoughtful food.

Post Thanks / Like

My son has just decided to try a vegetarian diet. I'm feeling much better already.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Harts (aka the Vic) is the best bet, now. Very good food - much better than 2-3 years ago. The pub over the foot bridge at West Footscray Station was the Rising Sun. It's now apartments.

The Plough is good, but pricey. The Mona Castle is a decent 15min walk, but worth it. If you really want to see "alternative" Footscray, the Dancing Dog is okay, but also a 15min walk.

There's a new bar on Barkly Street just next to the old Barkly Hotel (which is now a Lentil Restaurant) which is okay, but the name escapes me.

My tip is either the Plough for upmarket, "new Footscray" or the Vic Harts for good value, older school, earthier Footscray. I like them both.
    The Rising Sun would have been great pre game last Saturday.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    The Rising Sun would have been great pre game last Saturday.
    Yep, you missed it by about ten years. You might've noticed the "CUB: official beer supplier to the Footscray FC" that the developers preserved on the side of it? I always preferred the Buckingmamshire Hotel or "Buck" which was halfway between Middle Footscray Station and the WO.

The Plough is good, but I think one of the coteries might've booked it out on Saturday. They'd have done a roaring trade pre-match, had they opened. Couldn't help thinking that was a schoolboy error... As it was, the Vic did a roaring trade pre-match. Theyd have to be rapt to have some footy back at the WO. Saturday was the busiest I've ever seen it.

I stopped off at the bar next to the old Barkly Hotel (I remember now, it's called Little Foot - which wouldn't look out of place in South Yarra) then whipped over to a Vietnamese restaurant and had athe best Pho I've ever had for $10. Great day!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Yep, you missed it by about ten years. You might've noticed the "CUB: official beer supplier to the Footscray FC" that the developers preserved on the side of it? I always preferred the Buckingmamshire Hotel or "Buck" which was halfway between Middle Footscray Station and the WO.

The Plough is good, but I think one of the coteries might've booked it out on Saturday. They'd have done a roaring trade pre-match, had they opened. Couldn't help thinking that was a schoolboy error... As it was, the Vic did a roaring trade pre-match. Theyd have to be rapt to have some footy back at the WO. Saturday was the busiest I've ever seen it.

I stopped off at the bar next to the old Barkly Hotel (I remember now, it's called Little Foot - which wouldn't look out of place in South Yarra) then whipped over to a Vietnamese restaurant and had athe best Pho I've ever had for $10. Great day!
    The Buck I believe is gone now too. What road was the Rising Sun on. I believe Williamstown Road but correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The Buck I believe is gone now too. What road was the Rising Sun on. I believe Williamstown Road but correct me if I'm wrong.
    Geelong Rd near the overpass that goes over the railway tracks.

There use to be a smaller bridge and The Rising Sun could be seen from Geelong Rd as you drove pass. Then they re did the bridge and it was much larger and shieldeed the pub. In the end I think the bridge killed it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Geelong Rd near the overpass that goes over the railway tracks.

There use to be a smaller bridge and The Rising Sun could be seen from Geelong Rd as you drove pass. Then they re did the bridge and it was much larger and shieldeed the pub. In the end I think the bridge killed it.
    Times have changed. Is Geelong Road off Cross St which is the street you walk past from the station.

Post Thanks / Like

Times have changed. Is Geelong Road off Cross St which is the street you walk past from the station.
    Embarking on an explanation for this one is very, very tough! The RS basically sits on the intersection of Buckley Street (just before where it becomes Sunshine Rd), Williamstown Rd and the feeder rd from Willy Rd onto Geelong Rd.

Originally it was textbook Geelong Road just past the rail crossing, however, post the rail bridge being built and then the various slip lanes and feeder ramps, it's been kind of buried.

I'd have loved for a rail and traffic tunnel to have been put under there and for everything to be levelled out. That would have re-integrated that whole section, Made room for a stand behind the scoreboard end goals etc. clearly a pipe dream, but one can fantasise!

But, to explain, geelong Road overpasses Cross Street and the railway and Buckley St/Sunshine Rd and kind of runs parallel with Cross Street. However the West Footscray Station Bridge takes you onto Sunshine Road - not Geelong Road... Has that helped...?!! (I doubt it!)

Post Thanks / Like

PS The Rising Sun was one hell of a grotty drug den ten years ago. The development has been a big plus. Same with the Barkly Theatre.

It's getting harder and harder to point to a drug den in Footscray, nowadays - which can't be a bad thing!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen on street view the other side of West Footscray station facing away from Whitten Oval which is Sunshine Road. Was trying to find it on google maps Geelong Road but couldn't see it. I noticed last week west of Hocking street quite a new looking recently developing housing area.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen on street view the other side of West Footscray station facing away from Whitten Oval which is Sunshine Road. Was trying to find it on google maps Geelong Road but couldn't see it. I noticed last week west of Hocking street quite a new looking recently developing housing area.

In the time between the old factory being pulled down and the new houses being constructed I could see the ground from the end of my street.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    In the time between the old factory being pulled down and the new houses being constructed I could see the ground from the end of my street.
    Do you think with the new developments in the area that it has changed for the better or was it better back in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think with the new developments in the area that it has changed for the better or was it better back in the day.

The new houses look a lot better than the old factory but the traffic is a bit busier.