Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The new houses look a lot better than the old factory but the traffic is a bit busier.
    It's always the way when there is an upside there is a downside as well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would move this thread to this board on woof as I think its more appropriate here.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I used to catch the bus in South Road to get to the game. I'd go early to watch the twos. Bus was always PACKED after the game. Sometimes me and the mates would walk to Totty station and go on the train - just for a change. Later, when I got a car (1952 Morris Oxford) I'd drive to my mate Rowdy's place in Stanlake Street just near the Footscray Hospital in Elenor Street. Then we'd walk to the Albert and have a few drinks pre-match. On a few occasions a group of us would meet up at Jimmy Wong's and have a feed. Steak, tomato rice was my favourite. Good to see Jimmy's is still firing. After the game it was back to the Albert, especially if we won! When I was a kid, from ten years old onwards, we used to roam Melbourne on the train going to away games. My great mate, George Allen (dec), ex-gun full forward for Sunshine, used to barrack for South. We always went to see the Dogs and Bloods at the Lake Oval. Loved going to Arden Street as we usually won there. Seemed like a long walk past the Ugly Sisters Pub (the one right next to the station) and then Mulcahy's to the ground. All the railway men from North Melbourne Loco used to call that pub "The Ugly Sisters". My old man used to drink there. I saw Ted Whitten take that great mark at Arden Street, He was standing on Frank Galle's back with the gasometer providing a magnificent backdrop. Ted went back and roosted the ball out of the ground - for a point! I was gutted, but we won handsomely! I feel very lucky to have had all those wonderful experiences. We never had much in a material sense but we lived the richest of lives. To kick a good torpedo with a paper footy was a thing of joy. In the late 50s early 60s plastic footies were all the go. But they were so hard on the ends! They hurt like buggery if you weren't careful with the ball drop!

4. Likes N/A, Eastdog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why was it called the Ugly Sisters?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Because that's what they were apparently - a couple of ugly sisters, who somehow got into the pub business. I'm sure there's a story behind them. BTW just been talking to a mate over here. He used to see The Peanut Man all the time at Port Melbourne games.

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff merantau. Love it! I've said before I wish I was around back in those days. Would be great to drive or get the train to WO have a beer before and after the match at the local pub near the ground and then be off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Great stuff merantau. Love it! I've said before I wish I was around back in those days. Would be great to drive or get the train to WO have a beer before and after the match at the local pub near the ground and then be off.
    The best thing about the first beer after the game was Charlie Sutton pouring it for you.

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could do it now, nothing has changed in that regard.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes Twodogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to get the bus down Williamstown Rd from Newport to the Western Oval (472 or 479). The stop was not far from the Rising Sun so often popped in on the way home. As a young fella in the late 70s/early 80s I'd have a few lemonades whilst my father had a few beers with his mates.

The bar was always rocking, especially after a win (which weren't overly common back then), and quite a few times we ended up staying a fair bit longer than originally intended. It was full strength beer all afternoon back then and a lot of the guys at the bar were obliterated but it was always a great atmosphere with lots of laughter and energy but minimal aggro.

It was a rare insight into the grown up world for me back then - great memories.

Later on I would go by train with my mates, with the West Footscray stop being even closer to the ground than the bus stop. We'd always get there by 12.30 to see the last half of the Reserves. We always stood on the outer flank between the scoreboard and the coaches box. The crowd was thinner there and we were always within a row or two of the fence.

In this area, the crowd was predominantly for the away team and we would love getting involved in a bit of banter with them.

Would always have a kick on the ground for a good hour after the match. Mainly cause it was great fun (although the Western Oval was always really heavy, the turf seemed lusher and longer than other grounds) but also so that most of the crowd could clear out and you could get a train seat on the way home.

13. Likes Bulldog4life, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

Was wondering as we all know our current social club is at the Victory room Level 1 at Etihad Stadium but back in the Whitten Oval where about was the old social club?

Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

Was wondering as we all know our current social club is at the Victory room Level 1 at Etihad Stadium but back in the Whitten Oval where about was the old social club?

The old social club used to be housed under the Gent stand Eastie. Around the spot where the museum is now.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The old social club used to be housed under the Gent stand Eastie. Around the spot where the museum is now.
    Ok cool. I believe on the Gordon street side of the ground the old stand there was called the Smith stand I believe or something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee we need our own social club venue. Something that fans could hire for birthdays or events etc.
    You used to be able to do that at the club before the redevelopment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Gee we need our own social club venue. Something that fans could hire for birthdays or events etc.
    You used to be able to do that at the club before the redevelopment.
    Edgewater Maribyrnong was it but that fell through. We have the Peninsula Club in Dromana for our Bayside Bulldogs which is operated by the club

Post Thanks / Like

Dromana might be a bit of a stretch for us in the west Eastie.

About the Smith 'stand' I always thought it was a bit cheeky that they built a big lean to and then called it a stand. They might have been gilding the lily a bit there I think.