Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  86
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to the Whitten Oval on matchdays in the VFL days and Early AFL days

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Dromana might be a bit of a stretch for us in the west Eastie.

About the Smith 'stand' I always thought it was a bit cheeky that they built a big lean to and then called it a stand. They might have been gilding the lily a bit there I think.
    Interesting history there TD cheers Yeah I also believe the EJ Whitten Stand sign is different now to what it was before. When did they do that.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bump

For more woofers who would like to contribute to this thread. It's been great reading through all the stories.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Interesting history there TD cheers Yeah I also believe the EJ Whitten Stand sign is different now to what it was before. When did they do that.
    I don't know. I will try to find out. Have they just sort of shunted ithe lettering along a bit to install the disabled access/standing area at the left hand corner in the front?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to park at Beaurepairs(?) on Barkly street back in the day, think they shut at midday on Sat, first in best dressed but most games parked there and small stroll down to WO. When we started playing Sunday games at WO, we were the first or one of the first Melb based teams to play home games on Sundays from memory yeah? Before that it was just the interstate games, the army reserve cup and the VFA on Sundays, yeah still parked there but the boy scouts or something similar must have worked out a deal with Beurepairs and charged $2 or $5 to park there.
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. I will try to find out. Have they just sort of shunted ithe lettering along a bit to install the disabled access/standing area at the left hand corner in the front?
    I've seen two pics on google that have the old and new lettering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I've seen two pics on google that have the old and new lettering.
    I will have a look.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will have a look.
    Cheers TD.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

No Whitten Oval AFL pre season mathces next year but still opportunities with the VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to have went to that nab game last year against Richmond and be apart of the highest WO attendance since 2003

http://m.austadiums.com/stadium_events.php?id=137

Post Thanks / Like

For anymore woofers who were around in the prime of the VFL days to share their stories.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 20-02-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Parked in Essex St and walked to the games, I can recall catching the 82 and walking up Gordon St a few times as well. There was a park with a playground near the WO that had a swing/spinning thing with a clown face on top that if we won I could play on but if not WifeOfScray and Scray were quick to get us home.

Don't mind parking at the station and walking over the footbridge these days. I'll ride my bike to a few VFL games this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Parked in Essex St and walked to the games, I can recall catching the 82 and walking up Gordon St a few times as well. There was a park with a playground near the WO that had a swing/spinning thing with a clown face on top that if we won I could play on but if not WifeOfScray and Scray were quick to get us home.

Don't mind parking at the station and walking over the footbridge these days. I'll ride my bike to a few VFL games this year.
    There's a bike track all the way to the cross street entrance.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a bike track all the way to the cross street entrance.
    Yeah, from what I can tell is I can ride up Duke St and South rode all the way through on the bike track.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Yeah, from what I can tell is I can ride up Duke St and South rode all the way through on the bike track.
    So where does it go on the other side of Ashley street? It's not that one along the road to Werribee is it?