Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Demons ask for priority pick - any other woofers outraged?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-1...-priority-pick

Why should they get a priority pick and push us further back in the draft order?

They've stuffed up for years with their drafting, tanked, have the messiah as coach and paying oodles of money for him, will be helped with extra $ from AFL (granted we will too..) and they then ask for a handout in the form of a priority pick?

If they receive it I'll be livid. I am now just at the thought of it.

Hey, let's just underachieve, tank, play like we do not care for the jumper and then ask for a handout.

I feel sorry for their fans but really, this makes me want to throw up.
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demons ask for priority pick - any other woofers outraged?

I'm with you, Josie.
    They should learn to manage themselves better. Give them an extra pick and they only trade it or select a dud.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

It's not fair that they are asking for more access to the top end talent until they have demonstrated they can develop players the right way. Too many highly rated youngsters have simply gone backwards after arriving at Melbourne.

They need help but not in the form of a PP. The AFL should look to fund a development coach or two to assist the club improve the players they have. You don't put more petrol into a car you have neglected. Get the motor fixed first before filling up.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

So pick 2, possibly pick 3 for Frawley if he leaves and pick 4. Why not gave them the top 10?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's not fair that they are asking for more access to the top end talent until they have demonstrated they can develop players the right way. Too many highly rated youngsters have simply gone backwards after arriving at Melbourne.

They need help but not in the form of a PP. The AFL should look to fund a development coach or two to assist the club improve the players they have. You don't put more petrol into a car you have neglected. Get the motor fixed first before filling up.
    I like your analogy. Hopefully this is the type of help the AFL offers instead of another high pick.
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.

Post Thanks / Like

Right on. How about getting coaching, development stuff right.

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo - but I'm pretty sure they did get AFL money year before last to help their football department. They've had their assistance.

It's bullshit - if anything, we deserve more assistance than Melbourne for our efforts with migrant communities in the West/South West areas of Melbourne, the fastest growing area in the country and one with potentially a high % of soccer fans to be converted to AFL.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL has funded their current senior coach, but he doesn't even want to take responsibility for this years poor performance, only good ones.

Still seems a very toxic and blame environment.

What person in their right mind would go their and destroy their career? Especially when the man in charge contines to blame everyone else.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Ample priority picks, ample monetary assistance, the AFL has hand-picked and bankrolled their coach and CEO...it's time to remove the safety net if this club is going to be anything but pitiful...it's like breastfeeding a 6 year old.

Post Thanks / Like

From the AFL site:
    Its request will not be without controversy as the Demons have bungled several first-round draft picks since 2006 and were fined $500,000 after an investigation into tanking cleared the club of the offence in 2013.

The club has already used priority picks on Sam Blease (pick 17, 2008), Tom Scully (pick 1, 2009) and used first-round draft picks since 2007 on Cale Morton (pick 4, 2007), Jack Watts (pick 1, 2008), Scully and Jack Trengove (pick 1 and 2, 2009), Lucas Cook (pick 12, 2010), Jimmy Toumpas (pick 4, 2012) and Christian Salem (pick 9, 2013).

It also traded its first-round pick in 2011 to the Brisbane Lions for Mitch Clark and traded pick 3 to gain access to Jesse Hogan in the mini-draft in 2012.

It also traded pick 2 to Greater Western Sydney for Dom Tyson and pick 9 in 2013.

They really need help in the football department.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

They want another low DP but they'll be hawking their last #1 pick at trade time.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So pick 2, possibly pick 3 for Frawley if he leaves and pick 4. Why not gave them the top 10?
    I don't think that AFL could in good conscious ruin that many young careers all in one year!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

We need to complain to the AFL and strongly appose it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

They can have all of the end of 4th round picks they want. Otherwise they can get knotted. They are surely taking the piss.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bingo - but I'm pretty sure they did get AFL money year before last to help their football department. They've had their assistance.
    Agreed, they have - but given the money the AFL has already invested if a persuasive case is put forward I'm sure they'll continue to get whatever they ask for. I just hope the pick is an end of first round selection, or with their second round pick - that's the counter argument that has the best case of succeeding (unfortunately) in my view.