Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mitch Clark - would you do it?

We'd have to check him out, surely. If Mitch is over his foot problems he would be a huge upgrade up forward over anyone we have now. Clark is All Australian quality at his best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Maybe it was a family issue, does anyone know the exact problem?
    Weight of expectation with the big money deal and trade from Brisbane, then feelings of guilt when getting injured repeatedly and not building form & fitness to contribute like he wanted to.

If he's feeling better I would be very interested.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Mitch Clark may be available as a delisted free agent.

Rumour has it he is back in training and hoping for a fresh start. What's your verdict, Should we have a crack?
    Where did you hear this? His only public interview was about 2 months ago and footy seemed a very long way from his mind.

I think he should stay away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why not if he is mentally up to it.
    Yep totally agree.

What I liked most about him at Melbourne was that he played like he was completely committed to the cause. No high paid primadonna antics.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes a fresh start is what we all need. Mitch seemed from some reporting to be struggling with expectation and the pressure of money and media. If he has reconciled those matters, or just needed a circuit breaker, then there's no real concern for mine. Nathan Thompson was is a similar position and was very good at his second AFL club. If he's fit, he's easily, easily, easily best 22 in our team and with our kids taking the media, if the reporting is right, we might just be a good fit. He'd be a great ambassador for our men's health program too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If he feels ready to come back to elite level football then I would for sure, although his inability to stay on the park in recent years is an issue. I'd love him in our forward line as a point of difference though.
    If he did come back I'd expect him to go back to the Dees or home to WA.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

No way. Too fragile in mind and body. Not worth the risk.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Not for me either

Post Thanks / Like

Nope from me too.

His body has failed him for a few years now, and they've been serious injuries.

If he was to return, from a mental aspect, I can only see it working in Perth.
    W00F!

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    No way. Too fragile in mind and body. Not worth the risk.
    Agree. I could see us wasting time and resources for no return. No thanks.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Go home factor, constant foot injuries, head injuries, mental issues.

No.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    We'd have to check him out, surely. If Mitch is over his foot problems he would be a huge upgrade up forward over anyone we have now. Clark is All Australian quality at his best.
    Yep, would do it in a heartbeat if his foot problems are 100% rectified and he is managing his depression well. it would also be some sort of poetic justice to nab a player of Clark's ability from Melbourne for no compensation back to Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think we need to focus on a GWS tall around the 20 year old mark (Jaksch / would love McCarthy) rather than an injury prone 26 year old suffering from a mental illness. I would think Clark is very interested in the 900k that was splashed around re. Patton but that money would be better spent luring a good young player from one of the franchises and developing one of Talia / Roberts down back.

Clark will be 27 in two months and our window won't be open until 2017 making him 29-30 which will see him declining when our window opens. No from me.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 25-08-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: correction on Clark's age

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Clark will be 27 in two months and our window won't be open until 2017 making him 29-30 which will see him declining when our window opens. No from me.
    His odometer doesn't have many kms on the clock so his age is not a concern for me at all. Assuming his foot injury is 100% healed and he is in a good space mentally to cope with the rigours of AFL, I can see him having an Alastair Lynch type career well into his 30's. One thing not in dispute is that he is very talented - I like talented players who have proven themselves at the caper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I like talented players who have proven themselves at the caper.
    Me too - when they can get on the park. He's been injury-riddled since his first year in 2006(?) including osteitis pubis followed up by a number of bad quad injuries, shoulders and more recently feet. The problem is all his injuries have been fairly long-term so when he goes down he goes down big time. He is a very good player and what we need yes but he will want top coin and is too high risk given his spate of injuries. Under 100 games in 9 years says it all to me. He's a Tom Williams with talent.