Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Saints back to Junction Oval

Gotta say, as a tax payer and AFL stakeholder, I DO NOT LIKE THIS:

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/st-kilda-...29-109xvs.html

My money being spent on undoing awful St Kilda decisions, getting them out of leases, kissing them on the ****. It stinks. I'm pro the Vic Cricket team taking the Junction. It makes sense. However Sht Kilda being given a stroke along is outrageous, IMO.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 30-08-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: not necessary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Saints back to Junction Oval

As a taxpayer I'm not sure governments should be assisting elite level sporting teams to build training facilities at all. Nor sporting stadiums, but they love to attach themselves to something popular.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Mission Elite training Centre says hello
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spot on BAD don't recall anyone complaining when the state and federal governments threw in 10 million for the Whitten oval redevelopment.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Spot on BAD don't recall anyone complaining when the state and federal governments threw in 10 million for the Whitten oval redevelopment.
    I can't see how you can equate the two! Had WBFC moved to, say Melton, taken a multi-million dollar freebie from their council, then decided three years into a 20 year agreement to renege because our pampered players don't like the drive (or the cafés!) leave that council and it's rate payers carrying the can, only to then saunter back into a facility provided by yet more taxpayer and AFL pool money?? Had this been our form, you'd have a point. However the two scenarios are quite different!

Frankston City Council says hello! I'm tipping their ratepayers would be feeling pretty used and insulted... Apparently they weren't good enough.. I've got no problem with the state cricket team being funded for the Junction. It makes sense. I have no problem with Sht Kilda's ressies using the ground on match day, however public money going towards yet another training facility for some sulking AFL players is a bridge too far for me. They've got a brand new one at Seaford!

Post Thanks / Like

According to reports I have read Gillon McLachlan barracks for Sturt in South Australia and has a soft spot for St Kilda. Doesn't surprise me that this is happening then.

Post Thanks / Like

St Kilda had a big blue with the Kingston City Council when they vacated Moorabbin. They had decades to run on their social club lease at the time they left. Then they accepted money (several million) from Frankston City Council on the proviso that they'd put something into the local community and remain there for 20 years.... It's been 3...

They've dudded the locals there. Rather than giving to the community, they've taken. Not only have they taken, they've shat in their faces.... Not only this, but the AFL and state government are aiding and abetting them in the process...! Not only that, they're REWARDING them for their ineptitude, callousness and insulting behaviour.

I find it incredulous!.. And for those comparing us to them, wash your mouths out! The Dogs have contributed to the one (underprivileged) community as our base for 130+ years. There is no comparison.

9. Likes Twodogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I can't see how you can equate the two! Had WBFC moved to, say Melton, taken a multi-million dollar freebie from their council, then decided three years into a 20 year agreement to renege because our pampered players don't like the drive (or the cafés!) leave that council and it's rate payers carrying the can, only to then saunter back into a facility provided by yet more taxpayer and AFL pool money?? Had this been our form, you'd have a point. However the two scenarios are quite different!

Frankston City Council says hello! I'm tipping their ratepayers would be feeling pretty used and insulted... Apparently they weren't good enough.. I've got no problem with the state cricket team being funded for the Junction. It makes sense. I have no problem with Sht Kilda's ressies using the ground on match day, however public money going towards yet another training facility for some sulking AFL players is a bridge too far for me. They've got a brand new one at Seaford!
    Just doesn't really fire me up to be honest Webby. My response was to underdogs comment, sure it's poor form from St Kilda and reflects on them as a club but it just doesn't irk me as it seems to you.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Mission Elite training Centre says hello
    I know, I was aware of that when I made the comment that there's a conflict in that we've benefited. But generally governments only do this because it is a populist move to throw money at a hugely popular sport, but it's not at all an effective use of taxpayer money. It's more about PR and they generally manage to spin "community benefits" into it.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

So Stkilda have millions spent in their " growth corridor", then do a runner to return to their spiritual home?
    I would find this as a rate payer in that area pretty shoddy to be honest.
    Yes, they'll spin it for all it's worth but it was built for an AFL team ( in Australia's main sport) and not for local league football.

Post Thanks / Like

The elite centre at whitten oval is a university as well, it wasn't just for the football club, we had to move out poker machines due to it being used by under aga students.
    It's also been our home for over 100 years and although we play games at etihad , everything else is run from the Whitten oval and we aren't and have never looked anywhere else as far as I know ... Big difference to StKilda
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Poor reflection on them, very poor. I can think of 61,000 ways of public money being spent.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023