Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrad Grant?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrad Grant?

No word yet ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I think restricted applies only to your top 10 players. Grant is nowhere near top 10 so will be unrestricted in 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HKB View Post
    I think restricted applies only to your top 10 players. Grant is nowhere near top 10 so will be unrestricted in 2 years.
    Isn't it to do with the length of time they have played with the club?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

After 8 seasons when a player first comes out of contract (could be 8, 9, 10 etc) then they're a restricted FA if their wage was in the top 25% of the list, otherwise they're unrestricted. When a player comes out of contract after 10 years and has been out of contract once already after 8 years, then they're uncontracted no matter what.

On Grant, my preference would be for one season with the option of a second one if he meets certain criteria, ideally those would be something he could meet by around half way through the season. Maybe based on training (preseason) and games/indexes which give keep him motivated.

He had a really good patch when he came into the side but he did drop off right near the end of the year, so I still don't have the confidence in him that he can perform over a long period. I don't really see him getting much attention from other clubs and would probably need to go to GWS or similar to get a decent contract and guaranteed playing time.

If Crameri does come to the club, he would need to show he can function well in the same forwardline. Either way, I don't think he deserves a 2 year deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Isn't it to do with the length of time they have played with the club?
    Divvydan answered the question. Players outside of the top 10 (by Salary) become unrestricted in their 8th year (if out of contract).
    Addison is an example. He was drafted in 2005 and this is his 8th year.
    If Addison was a 10 ten player, he would be a restricted free agent.
    Since he is not, he is actually an unrestricted free agent.

Post Thanks / Like

Grant is the player being offered to Brisbane for Docherty.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...009-2v8qn.html

Post Thanks / Like

I like Docherty. I love Grant.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I trust Emma Quayle more than the herald sun rumours but at any point does she refer to a source. I'd be dissapointed if we did trade Grant, I think he could still be a very dangerous player for us.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Grant is the player being offered to Brisbane for Docherty.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...009-2v8qn.html
    I'd be sad to see him go. My feeling is that he has worked hard to address the gaps in his game, has a skill set which we probably undervalue and when in the right system is a very dangerous forward. I enjoy watching him play the game.

I'd be keeping him if we can't lock Crameri away as a certainty, at least. We just don't have enough blokes that can kick a goal without busting their nut for it every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly no mention from Emma that it is something we or Brisbane have discussed.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the 'how the @#$@# would I know - its Jarrad Grant we're talking about here?' option.

thats the one I chose

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad we've offered a one year deal with a trigger for a second on games played. It seems like a reasonable incentive for Grant to aspire towards and provides us with cover.

If we think Docherty is a better player for us long term than Grant then I'm happy for us to move the latter on.

My preference was always to see Grant be the player he could be for us. If we are compensated well for him, so be it, we move on. He's already struggled through half a career, and for mine he's just likely to struggle through the second half as much as he's likely to excel through it. Irrespective of his potential.

Post Thanks / Like

This answers a few questions people had on the club's approach to Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Quayle
    The 24-year-old has been offered a one-year contract extension by the Dogs, but it is understood that deal includes a games-played incentive clause that would trigger a second season
    I'm happy with that strategy personally.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    This answers a few questions people had on the club's approach to Grant.

I'm happy with that strategy personally.
    So am I, as I've said in the above post.

Games played would be contingent on injury potentially.

Post Thanks / Like

I love what Granty was able to bring to the table late in the year. Do I think he can do it consistently? Remains to be seen but I personally won't be happy if we trade him. I'll admit to knowing absolutely nothing about the kid from Brisbane.