Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    susie bulldog Guest

Re: Western Bulldogs transform Whitten Oval into new home for women's football

I attended the best and fairest of female football last evening VWFL/AFL Vic. There were over 400 guests. Our WB female captain Asta O'Connor came in second in the B &F. She was beaten by four points. She suffered with a foot injury (stess fracture) for most of the 2014 season. 400 guests present. It was mentioned by the MC that there will possibly be 18 more new teams in 2015. No wonder it is the fastest growing female sport in the country. I am very proud of our club WB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Now that's a good point, the heritage debt, what happened and where are we at with it ?
    Yep I have the same question as well ledge. How are going reducing the debt?

We have the redeveloped WO to look forward to and the Edgewater complex as well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yep I have the same question as well ledge. How are going reducing the debt?

We have the redeveloped WO to look forward to and the Edgewater complex as well.
    I live in Edgewater, after being very stagnant for a long while the development is really moving along now! Don't know if this venture will help us with our debt or contribute to it. More importantly for me let's hope they have a tote and serve a pot of draught for less then $5!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    I live in Edgewater, after being very stagnant for a long while the development is really moving along now! Don't know if this venture will help us with our debt or contribute to it. More importantly for me let's hope they have a tote and serve a pot of draught for less then $5!
    That's good to hear. I've heard it's quite expensive to buy in Edgewater but nonetheless its a great location right on the Maribyrnong River and near the city.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly don''t miss the price of beer in Victoria, a Schooner of Draught up here for $4.80 or under at most places.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Certainly don''t miss the price of beer in Victoria, a Schooner of Draught up here for $4.80 or under at most places.
    Much better prices than at Etihad

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to hear. I've heard it's quite expensive to buy in Edgewater but nonetheless its a great location right on the Maribyrnong River and near the city.

I remember that being a very big and very very loud factory that made ammo for the Army. Some of the machines they had there were huge.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I remember that being a very big and very very loud factory that made ammo for the Army. Some of the machines they had there were huge.
    Is the Australian Defence Force Base in Maribyrnong.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Australian Defence Force Base in Maribyrnong.
    Eastie, Eastie - google is your friend!

EDGEWATER – FORMER AMMUNITION FACTORY
    The Edgewater Housing Estate occupies the site of the former Commonwealth Munitions Factory, some remnant buildings of which are still located on the upper portion of the site near Gordon Street. The Colonial Ammunition Company (CAC) built an ammunition factory on the river flats at Maidstone in 1889, aiming to reduce the colony’s dependence on imported munitions. In the early twentieth century CAC expanded their works to begin producing cartridge cases and bullets. The Commonwealth Government purchased the ammunition factory in 1928.

During WWII the Ammunition factory was Australia’s largest and most important ammunition factory, employing over 9,000 workers, including many women. Because of the volatile nature of the operations the ‘factory’ was a series of separate buildings and the site stretched from the Lang’s Road Bridge to the southern boundary of the present Pipemakers Park, incorporating the Powder Magazine (site 22) The factory’s operations were gradually scaled down after World War II, when low-lying land on the southern portion of the site was leased to Myer Limited for storage. Australian Defence Industries took over the Ammunition Factory in 1989, closing it in 1994.
    From http://www.maribyrnong.vic.gov.au/Fi...ge_Booklet.pdf

I used to drive past the factories every weekend on the way to my grandparents house. Looks a little different these days!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They certainly keep building apartments around here, should be a reasonable market.

It is sandwiched in between some other Pokie joints, the Powell, Highpoint, Headquarters tavern at Flem racecourse, Newmarket & Palms. What there isn't around here is any nightlife (Doutta Gala and Quiet Man) still a few km away. Hopefully the club recognizes this and does something different and doesn't just aim for the standard pokie venue. I know they will be there but would be good if they could create some atmosphere here in the west.

Post Thanks / Like

The Edgewater Housing Estate occupies the site of the former Commonwealth Munitions Factory, some remnant buildings of which are still located on the upper portion of the site near Gordon Street. The Colonial Ammunition Company (CAC) built an ammunition factory on the river flats at Maidstone in 1889, aiming to reduce the colony’s dependence on imported munitions. In the early twentieth century CAC expanded their works to begin producing cartridge cases and bullets. The Commonwealth Government purchased the ammunition factory in 1928.

During WWII the Ammunition factory was Australia’s largest and most important ammunition factory, employing over 9,000 workers, including many women. Because of the volatile nature of the operations the ‘factory’ was a series of separate buildings and the site stretched from the Lang’s Road Bridge to the southern boundary of the present Pipemakers Park, incorporating the Powder Magazine (site 22) The factory’s operations were gradually scaled down after World War II, when low-lying land on the southern portion of the site was leased to Myer Limited for storage. Australian Defence Industries took over the Ammunition Factory in 1989, closing it in 1994.
    That area where Myers used to be is where Footscray Cricket Club play now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That area where Myers used to be is where Footscray Cricket Club play now.
    is that Merv Hughes oval?

Post Thanks / Like

Parkside and Totty baps old home ground .. Henry turner reserve
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Plus one big arse flag pole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

is that Merv Hughes oval?

Yep. That's right. When Footscray first moved there years ago Myers still had depots there and the vans and trucks would be driving up the dirt road all the time.