Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  504
Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst ... 54546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damien Barrett what's his agenda ?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Has Stack actually been turned around? He's been given an opportunity and grasped it strongly. Bennell on the other hand has been given two chances from AFL clubs and now might be a chance to receive a 3rd. I thank our lucky stars we didn't grab him back when Eade was shopping him around.

I'm not sure the two examples are comparable to be honest. Bennell's rap sheet is a bit daunting in my opinion and the fact that he has played just 2 senior games in 4 years doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Is the upside really there?
    In comparison Stack just needed some guidance.
    It certainly seems like that, not a bad kid just needed a bit of structure and Richmond to their credit have provided him with that.
    I want us to take the risks on those types - kids who just lack opportunity and come from backgrounds that makes clubs think they're a risk so they slide down the draft order despite their talent.

We have Brett Goodes and should back the club in.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    To be fair, some of the best threads ever were entitled ‘ “username” please check your pms’ and my ‘Brisbane were ready for us’ thread from a week ago turned into an analysis of our kicking skills (again) and a referendum on The playability of Wood and Corey...

Going off the rails is what makes things fun.
    Yep. Conversations evolve and expand into different topics. As one who is often accused of taking threads off track I don't think that it's a huge problem. Certainly not one worth getting too worked up about, I'm sure that everyone can keep up.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    It certainly seems like that, not a bad kid just needed a bit of structure and Richmond to their credit have provided him with that.
    I want us to take the risks on those types - kids who just lack opportunity and come from backgrounds that makes clubs think they're a risk so they slide down the draft order despite their talent.

We have Brett Goodes and should back the club in.
    Years back when we drafted Stack, Lynch and Hill all in the same year it was on Jason Mifsud to help that along. I think Brett Goodes would be a far better option in that role.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    On Benell, I'm not sure eastern state journalists have done indigenous footy much justice in recent times. I'd like to know more about footy up there!
    That’s the thing though GD. Neither of these two are from ‘up there’. Syd’s from Northam (45 mins east of Perth) but moved to Perth at 16 - H is from MANDURAH and didn’t move anywhere till he was drafted (played for peel thunder which is Mandurah).

Most indigenous tales being told aren’t about kids from remote communities - even jack Martin is from Broome but spent. A lot of time in Geraldton and Joel Hamling is from Broome. This year, Liam Henry is going to be reported as being from the north west but he has lived most of his life in the south east suburb of Maddington and more recently has been boarding at Christ Church (basically the #1 academic high school in the entire country located in the leafy green coastal suburb of Claremont).

It’s funny. Before I moved to Melbourne I coached at south Fremantle for a year and 14 of our starting 22 were indigenous (lost the colts gf). I coached at the western jet s for 3 years and not one indigenous kid. Back to Perth and you know what is coming next.

Talent I can show you. But trying to harness it...it isn’t that easy when the kids have challenging home circumstances (indiginous or otherwise) and 99% of the population are either oblivious or simply take the ‘...if I had the talent he had, I would have won 3 Brownlow medals’ approach. It’s hard when you are 17 and being expected to do an awful lot for zero reward with no guarantee of an outcome...and the situation with Stack - all Australian, club b+f, colts team of the year etc - not being drafted was an absolute disgrace and not enough has been made of this.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes AshMac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Years back when we drafted Stack, Lynch and Hill all in the same year it was on Jason Mifsud to help that along. I think Brett Goodes would be a far better option in that role.
    Goodes has already proven that he can stick around. Mifsud was out the door 30 seconds after he got a better offer and stuff everyone else.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Goodes has already proven that he can stick around. Mifsud was out the door 30 seconds after he got a better offer and stuff everyone else.
    The club is also advertising currently for an Indigenous Progams Manager - I guess working with Brett, plus we have added an Indigenous Board member. She helped setup Richmonds programmes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s the thing though GD. Neither of these two are from ‘up there’. Syd’s from Northam (45 mins east of Perth) but moved to Perth at 16 - H is from MANDURAH and didn’t move anywhere till he was drafted (played for peel thunder which is Mandurah).

Most indigenous tales being told aren’t about kids from remote communities - even jack Martin is from Broome but spent. A lot of time in Geraldton and Joel Hamling is from Broome. This year, Liam Henry is going to be reported as being from the north west but he has lived most of his life in the south east suburb of Maddington and more recently has been boarding at Christ Church (basically the #1 academic high school in the entire country located in the leafy green coastal suburb of Claremont).

It’s funny. Before I moved to Melbourne I coached at south Fremantle for a year and 14 of our starting 22 were indigenous (lost the colts gf). I coached at the western jet s for 3 years and not one indigenous kid. Back to Perth and you know what is coming next.

Talent I can show you. But trying to harness it...it isn’t that easy when the kids have challenging home circumstances (indiginous or otherwise) and 99% of the population are either oblivious or simply take the ‘...if I had the talent he had, I would have won 3 Brownlow medals’ approach. It’s hard when you are 17 and being expected to do an awful lot for zero reward with no guarantee of an outcome...and the situation with Stack - all Australian, club b+f, colts team of the year etc - not being drafted was an absolute disgrace and not enough has been made of this.
    Respect, thanks for that MJP. Amazing achievements. Unique perspective. What an experience you've had there and so close with the Colts. I have many relatives in WA and they are so passionate about footy.

I guess there are a lot of complex intercultural issues even with young indigenous people growing up in the suburbs. My brother transcribes legal case audio for a living. He says the amount of harsh stories coming out of the suburbs of Perth are pretty full on.
    Economically the suburbs of WA are having a tough time.

The Melbourne media, in my view doesn't do a great job at representing WA clubs or QLD clubs. When was the last time AFL sponsored media seriously looked at indigenous cultural issues ( positive ) in a meaningful way. AFL.com media really needs someone who can give indigenous players a voice. To turn it back to the thread theme, they are so one-setting with the whole sliding doors bit and general presentation of the game.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The Melbourne media, in my view doesn't do a great job at representing WA clubs or QLD clubs. When was the last time AFL sponsored media seriously looked at indigenous cultural issues ( positive ) in a meaningful way. AFL.com media really needs someone who can give indigenous players a voice.
    The last time it was attempted a dual brownlow medallist and two time premiership player was booed into retirement.

12. Likes Ghost Dog, WBFC4FFC, 1eyedog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The last time it was attempted a dual brownlow medallist and two time premiership player was booed into retirement.
    Well said WD45 . It's astounding to me that with all it's drum bashing about reconciliation, AFL media does not have ( am I right? ) an indigenous presenter on it's books, or someone who has worked a lot with indigenous communities. Would be great to have a Micheal Long or other in the media more often.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That is one of the best parody accounts ever.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sur he was GUTTED when we made the 8. Asshole.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic post!

18. Likes strebla, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I'm sur he was GUTTED when we made the 8. Asshole.
    I loved the fact that he tagged on us as being the only club to miss finals for 3 years in 30 off years for two reasons:

1. He was wrong and can get stuffed
    2. It’s only relevant BECAUSE WE WON A PREMIERSHIP

20. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can just picture his face getting sourer and sourer as we pumped through goal, after unanswered goal against the Crows.

His vendetta and entire narrative evaporating in front of his weasel face.........

22. Likes strebla liked this post