Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  504
Page 58 of 65 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damien Barrett what's his agenda ?

The trouble with dodo is he wastes everybody's time playing hardball that it effects other trades.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    The trouble with dodo is he wastes everybody's time playing hardball that it effects other trades.
    This is absolutely correct, and would be acknowledged fairly widely you'd think.

I said this in one of the trade threads, and I'll say it again, clubs benefit if everyone is being reasonable and if a few more clubs stop being reasonable and behaving like EFC do, then the system will start to fail.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I read this stuff (about Adrian) every year.

I really like him. Since no-one else seems to have a nice word to say, maybe it's me that has it wrong or maybe it's just me. I know he has a reputation of being hard to deal with, but for all of that Essendon do seem to be involved in a LOT of trades...
    I actually didn't mind him playing hardball with Daniher. He's contracted, and one of the few weapons a club has with player movements is holding a player to a contract.

Even better, having a disgruntled player of Daniher's ilk might help destabilise Essendon in 2020 and blow up in their face.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Read that article too and it was quite interesting. The other thing that leapt out to me from it was that it was all Daniher's idea, which made me wonder why Barrett had been so pointedly scathing of Tom Harley during the trade period for "luring Daniher for months" and then not getting the deal done.
    There was still an onus on Harley to make a deal happen as far as I'm concerned. That was Purple's main criticism.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    There was still an onus on Harley to make a deal happen as far as I'm concerned. That was Purple's main criticism.
    Yes but it's clear Barrett had no understanding of the situation or the negotiations taking place. Several times he slated Harley for not offering 5&9 when Essendon had already made it clear that they wouldn't accept that, despite it being considered overs by pretty much everyone. Additionally, the players Essendon reportedly wanted from Sydney, Heeney and Blakey, are both academy players, so they've been entrenched within the club system for a long time and had no intention of moving to Essendon.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand Barrett's If ... Then ... column on the AFL website normally, but I agree with this one this week.

IF ...

you actually take a deep breath and think about it ...

THEN ...

the next statue they build somewhere near EJ's in the Whitten Oval precinct could be Peter Gordon's. Saved the club 31 years ago, got it out of a massive mess five years ago, now positioning it to be bullet-proof from all attack, even COVID-19.

LINK
    WOOF Member 422

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Barrett

A statue of PG would be well deserved. What he has done for our club is incredible.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

10. Likes Testekill, SonofScray, The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I can't stand Barrett's If ... Then ... column on the AFL website normally, but I agree with this one this week.

IF ...

you actually take a deep breath and think about it ...

THEN ...

the next statue they build somewhere near EJ's in the Whitten Oval precinct could be Peter Gordon's. Saved the club 31 years ago, got it out of a massive mess five years ago, now positioning it to be bullet-proof from all attack, even COVID-19.

LINK
    That's a bloody good idea. Well played to Spotty.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

12. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feels wrong but I agree with Barrett here, I have always thought Bont's Grand Final was criminally underrated and it was a flip of the coin between him and Boyd for the Norm Smith (apologies to JJ). Although I have to say I didn't love his game last night, tries his heart out but too many errors for someone as good as he is.

IF ...
    every single 2020 season A-grader was lined up on the old schoolyard wall and I had one pick ...

THEN ...
    I’m taking Bont. Just impacts every game he plays, and actually saved Thursday’s against the Suns with a telling reading of the play in the final minute. Still reckon he should have the 2016 Norm Smith Medal on his CV. Go back and watch it. Fourteen kicks, 100 per cent efficiency, a couple which were mind-boggling. Eleven contested possessions, seven tackles and just to prove versatility as a then-20-year-old, nine hitouts as the then-allowed third man-up. Already an all-time great, and still getting better.

14. Likes Twodogs, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marcus’s work rate is quite phenomenal particularly given the amount of physical attention he’s getting from the opposition.
    Unfortunately the mix of the two is no doubt effecting his disposal efficiency.

I love that he’s now being talked up for All-Australian Captain because we all know that it only takes one or two comments to create an all in AFL media bandwagon to make these things come true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I love that he’s now being talked up for All-Australian Captain because we all know that it only takes one or two comments to create an all in AFL media bandwagon to make these things come true.
    I don't know what you're talking about Doc, Buddy's been a great free agent for the Giants...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Marcus’s work rate is quite phenomenal particularly given the amount of physical attention he’s getting from the opposition.
    Can anyone tell me why he was off the ground for so long during q4 last night?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Looked like they were working on his hip
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think BAD may have answered it but lets pretend he wasn't injured.

Often you will see player X waiting to come one for a period of time 2-3-4 minutes in the dying stages all because the ball is on the wrong side of the ground.

With today's footy being so structured and team defense is it too big of a risk for one player to drop off and get off the ground so the teams best player can get on?

Last night I thought Bont was waiting far too long to come back on in the last quarter.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think BAD may have answered it but lets pretend he wasn't injured.

Often you will see player X waiting to come one for a period of time 2-3-4 minutes in the dying stages all because the ball is on the wrong side of the ground.

With today's footy being so structured and team defense is it too big of a risk for one player to drop off and get off the ground so the teams best player can get on?

Last night I thought Bont was waiting far too long to come back on in the last quarter.
    Another stupid decision by the AFL not allowing runners on unless a goal is kicked.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.