1 1.89%
  • 1.4 million p.a

0 0%
  • Literally any price another club will pay

3 5.66%
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim English - What Price do you pay?

We all know Tim is looking for a good deal. General speculation and salary cap increases make it very likely he's on at least 1 mil a year. What is your upper limit to what you'd offer if you were Sam Power? Would you go all the way up to 1.4? Would you not even offer 1mil?

Make your choice and state your case

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tim English - What Price do you pay?

I'm surprised there's a majority under 1 million so far.

Personally I'd be willing to go as high as 1.2 million a year. If someone is offering 1.4 million and the contract is 4 years or less. That's not ideal, not necessarily what I think his worth is to the club's on field performance, but my absolute upper limit.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone needs to realise $1 million in 2023 is not the same as $1 million in 2025 and beyond.

The average waged jumped by 11 per cent and under the new pay deal brokered last season, wages will leap another 5.1 per cent in 2024 and 12.6 per cent in 2025.

The total player payments will jump from $15,022,778 in 2023 to $15,788,222 this year, before rising to $17.76m in 2025, $18.29m in 2026 and $18.44m in 2027.

Players split an additional $1.267 million per club in additional services (marketing) across the life of the new CBA which runs until 2027.

With annual increases taken in to consideration, there could be as many as 50 players who will be paid $1 million in 2025.

4. Likes jDogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't give a rats arse what a player is paid. Power has to balance the list and make sure the good players are paid what they should be paid according to the market. It is all a matter of supply and demand and supply of top level ruckman are far and few in between which means clubs will go after him due to short supply. Tim is a wanted player, by many clubs and we need to be paying him what the market dictates - he may not get top dollar when a club is willing to go over the top, but it needs to be reasonable as well so that the final figure is close.

We offered unders for Ward and lost him, we paid overs for Boyd and he won us a premiership - I don't want to lose Tim.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes azabob, Mitcha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think everyone needs to realise $1 million in 2023 is not the same as $1 million in 2025 and beyond.
    50 players means most clubs will have 2 or 3 players on $1m+
    Bont & Naughts are probably our two right now (Naughts not far off) and Marra will get paid. Can we carry 4 blokes on or near $1m?

Timmy's our 7 B&F finisher and not part of our leadership group. I'm not sure the dollars would match the output but if we have no replacement lined up for next year he may have a strong negotiating hand.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I don?t get the ?only 7th in the b&f? argument. Naughton finished 9th and Jammara finished 10th. If it?s not relevant to them, why would it be a deal breaker for Tim? He is the all Australian ruckman and still young enough to get even better.
    Slobbos article is just his typical rubbish. If English leaves, Slobbos next article would be ?Dogs badly undervalue champion ruckman?.
    I?d certainly pay over the million for Tim, but I wouldn?t sell the farm and Sam Power gets to make the decision on what we can afford.
    For what it?s worth, I think Baz has gone, so that probably makes Sam?s job a bit easier.

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to go ?1.2m, but on a 3 year deal. If he is still the main man and output hasn't dropped off etc great, but the money has to be there for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Can only hope this group put success above money, or success will bring the money. Its feeling like we will be raided before we can achieve the full potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think you have to go ?1.2m, but on a 3 year deal. If he is still the main man and output hasn't dropped off etc great, but the money has to be there for him.
    It's a hard one to judge and challenging for a lot of us to grasp. Clearly some people don't rate Tim's input as highly as others do and some who are probably considering the Collingwood approach to ruckman and saying you shouldn't tie up a lot of money in the position.
    And no doubt some challenges for Tim with concussion symptoms would be consideration.

I'm not a fan of some of the long term deals that are being struck but the market is the market and clubs have a choice if they want to match what other clubs are offering. I'm sure we will see a club or two get burned by injuries to a couple of players on mega deals and the market will react to that.

I'd prefer we are a bit conservative with our offers to Tim but he does deserve to be well compensated.
    If West Coast put in a massive offer for his services we don't have to match it.
    Wouldn't it be fascinating to sit in both discussions between Power and McDougall and then Power and the Footy department explaining where things are in the negotiations?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Pay whatever it takes imo.

We've just spent 5-6 years developing him into the leagues best ruckman so im happy to give him his chocolates. Cant lose him now, plus we all know how picky Bevo is with rucks. Finally have one he likes.
    The curse is dead.

14. Likes Happy Days, azabob, SquirrelGrip, bornadog, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think when you are putting that level of money into someone you are not only considering market value and on field worth, but what they add to the club off field.

Is Tim a leader within the group? The new leadership group would suggest he isn't in the top handful.
    Does he drive standards? He is certainly a very talented player and puts work in to himself - but does he put the time in to the team?
    Does he contribute to the brand of the club? I've not seen Tim as someone who craves the limelight, and if our options are putting money towards Tim or Marra/Baz, there is a clear difference in their level of self promotion (which becomes club promotion).
    Is he team oriented? Not according to the reports that he would only play #1 ruck.

I think these are some of the reasons people are comfortable with an AA ruck leaving.

16. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would love to keep him but I am concerned about a long term contract at $1,000,000 with his concussion issues. Most clubs can win a flag with a workhorse ruckman. JUH and Smith are 1 and 2 on my list to retain. If we can challenge for the flag it will go along way in retaining all. This is why success is so important for keeping a talented list together. Another year like 2023 and we may lose a few.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with $1.1M assuming the market will get to $1.3M, going much higher to follow the market starts to worry me. I'm more concerned about tenure than his per year wage though, and honestly can't figure out what I'd offer up on that front.

Before I Die makes a really good point regarding the B&F finish argument. Additionally, questioning why he's not in the leadership group or not leading promotions misses the mark for mine as well. Those things aren't for everyone, but I'd be surprised if the latter didn't pick up if he signed a huge deal.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes hujsh, Go_Dogs liked this post
    From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats the word on the street here? Surely he stays... Key cog in the team about to really flex and leave a mark on the comp. Time to shine and repay the time and investment the club has put into him.

Post Thanks / Like

Pay the price.

Tim's one of us. We drafted him and he has grown with us...

I hate turning footy into transactions. Tim is a Bulldog - make it so.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.