Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does everyone love JOD so much?

I'm not trying to be a hater - just trying to understand what the big deal is about this player.

In terms of playing back, he's hardly done it...it feels a bit like the scenes in the Simpson's where Homer is elected the Sanitation Commissioner (or whatever it is) because he's "someone else"...We don't like Gardner and Keath and Buss isn't ready therefore the answer is "someone else"...

I don't dislike him and he might turn into a player one day...but he is seriously just a kid with potential. But he's always in the proposed ins, pre-season sides etc. I don't remember him tearing a VFL game apart the way Macrae did on the weekend and stamping "I AM AN AFL PLAYER" across his name in big red letters...I mean, he's played OK but...

Just trying to understand.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes jeemak, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why does everyone love JOD so much?

He played back pretty well at AFL level late last year. I think it's that simple

4. Likes chef, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the way people view Keath is a bit skewed (not without some justification), and this in turn makes JOD seem more appealing than he might actually be.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm not trying to be a hater - just trying to understand what the big deal is about this player.

In terms of playing back, he's hardly done it...it feels a bit like the scenes in the Simpson's where Homer is elected the Sanitation Commissioner (or whatever it is) because he's "someone else"...We don't like Gardner and Keath and Buss isn't ready therefore the answer is "someone else"...

I don't dislike him and he might turn into a player one day...but he is seriously just a kid with potential. But he's always in the proposed ins, pre-season sides etc. I don't remember him tearing a VFL game apart the way Macrae did on the weekend and stamping "I AM AN AFL PLAYER" across his name in big red letters...I mean, he's played OK but...

Just trying to understand.
    His AFL footy was okay, but he was brilliant at VFL level. Every game he played at VFL last year at CHB he was probably our most influential.

I can?t think of many better 10 game CHB. Tom Stewart and Marcus Adams are the only ones I can think of.

8. Likes Testekill, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is 6'5", athletic, nice hands, neat kick... we don't have too many of them in the back half to support Jones who isn't always suited to playing on the ''big guy'', hence why JOD is seen as a 1st 18 player.

Post Thanks / Like

Because we're DESPERATE.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

A combination of the above reasons, and our 'Great White Hope' of the past 20 years no longer has to be a KPF (it's now a KPD).

What he did (as a Cat B rookie) last year off no pre-season was remarkable though and he had a very good pre-season by all accounts.
    The closest parallel to a guy coming as some sort of rookie from another sport and looking promising straight away would be Blicavs, and he went in the rookie draft proper (#54 in 2012).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Sedat, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's really good is why.

Post Thanks / Like

First his super impressive early form in the VFL, his first ever VFL game he took was it, a dozen or so marks and looked to read the play really well considering it was his first game, and continued that form, obviously took a little while to click at AFL level but has also looked impressive especially his reading the play in the backline, wasn't so much a fan of his work on a wing.

Not saying he'll be as good as but to me, has similar traits to Alex Rance by the way he moves, reads play and takes nice grabs, good hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Because we're DESPERATE.
    are we
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    are we
    Well ...

Given Jones is a hundred and four years old, Keath has a number of forks sticking out of him, Gardner's limited and proven too vulnerable at the level, Darcy's still a child and not a dedicated backman, Coffield's undersized and painfully fragile, Busslinger's yet to play a game and remains a yuge question mark, Naughton's never, ever, ever, never ever, ever, never going back and Khamis is our current stop-gap for all the above reasons, I'd say yes friend, we are the textbook definition of 'desperate'.

Fair to say it'd be lovely if O'Donnell could make a lot of that go away.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Fair to say it'd be lovely if O'Donnell could make a lot of that go away.
    I get that it'd be "LOVELY" if it worked out.

What I'm confused about is why it seems so "obvious" that a player with maybe 10 (and 10x pretty average to mediocre) games under his belt is so consistently pushed forward as the option to play as a key back in what we all think SHOULD be a contending side.

I understand he has played a couple of good VFL games...I'm in Perth and haven't seen them. I understand he has taken a few intercept marks (which isn't defending btw). I understand that there isn't much else in the cupboard right now...

But like I said, being the "someone else" option (like when Homer DID become in charge of Sanitation in Springfield) doesn't mean he is a GOOD option.

To me, JOD should be competing for a spot with Buku vs being a kpd.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, but that's more on our list than it is James himself.

Right now we either keep playing Buks undersized which isn't a long term solution, wheel out the reanimated corpse of Alex Keath, throw a raw and unready Busslinger to the wolves or bring JOD into the side which, when fit, seems the best option now that we won't have Coffield to be that flexible chop-out type .

In addition to all of that, there does seem to be a real lack of KPD talent league-wide.
    Teams are willing to pay over for 'passable' KPDs (e.g. Saints offering 3 years to Melican). Battle, an 'undersized' tall back, is rumoured to have 6 years on the table - and due to front loading Ben McKay is right now the highest paid player in the competition and close to the highest paid player in a single year in history.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Correct, but that's more on our list than it is James himself.

Right now we either keep playing Buks undersized which isn't a long term solution, wheel out the reanimated corpse of Alex Keath, throw a raw and unready Busslinger to the wolves or bring JOD into the side which, when fit, seems the best option now that we won't have Coffield to be that flexible chop-out type .

In addition to all of that, there does seem to be a real lack of KPD talent league-wide.
    Teams are willing to pay over for 'passable' KPDs (e.g. Saints offering 3 years to Melican). Battle, an 'undersized' tall back, is rumoured to have 6 years on the table - and due to front loading Ben McKay is right now the highest paid player in the competition and close to the highest paid player in a single year in history.
    Battle can defend at 193cms, as can Callum Wilkie at 191cms. Tom Stewart is in the conversation for best key defender in the last decade or so and is 190cms.

JOD on form right now is arguably the 2nd best key defender on our list behind Jones (not a ringing endorsement of our list management and our current key defensive stocks). He would most likely have Buss, Keath and Gardner covered. And with Coffield now out for an extended period (poor guy), Buku can slot into Coff's role as the 3rd tall intercept defender/flexible chop out.

If JOD struggles for form, there will be an opportunity for Keath and/or Gardner to take his place in the future.

Not sure we all 'love' JOD (he was heavily criticised in his first 3-4 games) but I think we are all pleasantly surprised at the rapid rate of improvement from when he was first drafted (and totally gifted senior games before he was ready) to the end of last season, and in a position that we have been crying out for depth and talent. That improvement continued during pre-season whereas the likes of Keath and Gardner have plateaued/dipped.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

21. Likes lemmon, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get that it'd be "LOVELY" if it worked out.

What I'm confused about is why it seems so "obvious" that a player with maybe 10 (and 10x pretty average to mediocre) games under his belt is so consistently pushed forward as the option to play as a key back in what we all think SHOULD be a contending side.

I understand he has played a couple of good VFL games...I'm in Perth and haven't seen them. I understand he has taken a few intercept marks (which isn't defending btw). I understand that there isn't much else in the cupboard right now...

But like I said, being the "someone else" option (like when Homer DID become in charge of Sanitation in Springfield) doesn't mean he is a GOOD option.

Hey you won't get an argument outta me coach. I'm more than happy to keep tapping the sign.

BORDERLINE FLYING

23. Likes jeemak liked this post