Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  504
Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damien Barrett what's his agenda ?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone caught the Sunday Footy Show yesterday, but he did a 180 degree change of tune that any politician would be proud of.

He congratulated Peter Gordon on his "interference" in the Tom Boyd trade, saying it was an extremely brave move and has been vital to us winning the flag. He spoke glowingly of Luke Beveridge.

No mention of an apology for all the bulldust he has been pedalling for the past 2 years. We won't forget Flog Barrett.

He also admitted, Tom was a great return on investment
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He wrote this on the AFL website on the GF eve: Link

"The Bulldogs’ adversity in 2016 has centred around the unfortunate season-ending injury to captain Bob Murphy. A key forward in Jack Redpath and key midfielder in Mitch Wallis have also endured serious injury.

Coach Luke Beveridge has never once even thought to make excuses around availability. Contrast that approach with North Melbourne’s woe-is-us attitude when its players started to drop mid-season.

Managing a $12 million debt could have crippled the Bulldogs’ ability to believe in blue skies. It didn’t. Nor did changing the CEO mid-season, or losing a key assistant coach thereafter.

Being forced to travel to Perth and Sydney for elimination and preliminary finals could have provided an excuse not to perform at optimum, as could the decision to take a massive risk in that first final with five underdone players.

An off-field punch-on between Zaine Cordy and Tom Boyd had the potential to destabilise. Instead it bonded. Cordy, with 10 games to his name, has been named at centre half-forward for the Grand Final; Boyd at full-forward.

Clay Smith doesn’t make excuses. Not after three knee reconstructions. Not after playing a preliminary final just days after the death of a close mate.

Luke Dahlhaus doesn’t make excuses, either. Not when he was playing for the reserve-reserves only six years ago, and again not when he suffered a knee injury this year.

When Beveridge walked into this club in late 2014, captain Ryan Griffen had just walked out. Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney and important forward Shaun Higgins also sought new football homes.

Beveridge never ventured even near making an excuse based on available talent.

His ability to propel this club to Saturday’s Grand Final is already AFL legend, no matter the result
    ."

I believe, he knows that he won't get anything from us in the years ahead if he continue to report about us in a shite way and now slowly making it up.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Mental note. Cam Mooney, Craig Hutchinson were among the few to pick us in the final, and have been good advocates for Tom Boyd.
    Also think Lloyd has been fair. Few of the others can hang their heads in shame.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Mental note. Cam Mooney, Craig Hutchinson were among the few to pick us in the final, and have been good advocates for Tom Boyd.
    Wayne carey backed Tom all the way and voted for him the Norm as well.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Ghost Dog, strebla, bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wayne carey backed Tom all the way and voted for him the Norm as well.
    Richo as well. Actual footballers I guess who know it takes a little while to develop.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

7. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also think Lloyd has been fair. Few of the others can hang their heads in shame.
    I was at a Grand Final breakfast on Saturday. All of the following guests made a tip for the game;

Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Luke Hodge, Marc Murphy, Bill Brownless, Choco Williams, Terry Wallace & Brendan Fevola.

All of them said 'My heart says bulldogs, but head says Sydney - so I'm tipping Sydney" - Except for Fevola.

Interestingly, Fevola said (paraphrasing) "I've spoken to Jude Bolton - and it sounds like Mills and McVeigh are not quite right and underdone - I think that's a mistake and the dogs will run over them".

He also mentioned that he gave his two tickets to Fifi Box's bulldogs supporting parents, and that "If there are footy gods - then I hope they shine down on the dogs today". FEV!!

Post Thanks / Like

Richo as well. Actual footballers I guess who know it takes a little while to develop.
    I've actually spoken to Richo personally about T Boyd and I wouldn't go so far as to say that Richo backed Boyd to be a star.

He said, that in his opinion, Boyd's hands weren't good enough for him to achieve star quality. He'd be a good, solid player, but never to the level of his contract value.

Carey was certainly more pro-Tom than Richo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I've actually spoken to Richo personally about T Boyd and I wouldn't go so far as to say that Richo backed Boyd to be a star.

He said, that in his opinion, Boyd's hands weren't good enough for him to achieve star quality. He'd be a good, solid player, but never to the level of his contract value.

Carey was certainly more pro-Tom than Richo.
    Pfff, what does Richo know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    tip for the game;
    This got me interested to see how many were tipping us to win this year GF (sorry to be off topic and a long winded copy/paste from the internet): .. looked like 50/50 to me

HS, 28 expert tipsters, 12 for Sydney, 16 WB
    Jon Ralph Scott Gullan Kevin Bartlett
    WESTERN BULLDOGS 5 WESTERN BULLDOGS 15 WESTERN BULLDOGS 10

David King Sam Landsberger Gerard Whateley
    SYDNEY 18 WESTERN BULLDOGS 34 WESTERN BULLDOGS 2

Jon Anderson Sam Edmund Bill Shorten
    SYDNEY 37 SYDNEY 10 WESTERN BULLDOGS 6

Lauren Wood Grant Baker Glenn McFarlane
    WESTERN BULLDOGS 7 WESTERN BULLDOGS 1 WESTERN BULLDOGS 1

Tim Watson Dermott Brereton Paul Chapman
    SYDNEY 25 SYDNEY 9 SYDNEY 8

Michael Warner Jonathan Brown Jay Clark
    WESTERN BULLDOGS 1 SYDNEY 21 SYDNEY 12

Ron Reed Malcolm Turnbull Bianca Chatfield
    WESTERN BULLDOGS 3 SYDNEY 8 WESTERN BULLDOGS 2

Mark Robinson Patrick Dangerfield Daryl Timms 142
    SYDNEY 22 WESTERN BULLDOGS SYDNEY 23

Rebecca Williams Shane Crawford Scott Pendlebury
    SYDNEY 8 WESTERN BULLDOGS 14 WESTERN BULLDOGS

Eliza Sewell
    WESTERN BULLDOGS 10

theroar.com.au, 3 expert tipsters, 2 for Sydney, 1 for WB
    Michael DiFabrizio
    The romance of a Bulldogs flag is irresistible, but in tipping you can’t afford to get romantic. (Click to Tweet) It’s a head game, not a heart game.
    For mine, it’s tough to see the Swans beaten here.

BJ Conkey
    Sydney were the minor premiers for a reason.
    They scored almost 400 more points in attack than the Bulldogs in home-and-away matches.

Josh Elliott
    Unlike the two of them, both tipping Sydney, I can confirm I’ll be tipping the Bulldogs.
    Maybe I’m on the bandwagon a bit but I think their finals form has been the best of any side, and their hunger can’t be matched.

TheAge, 20 tipsters, 10 for Sydney, 10 for WB

GREG BAUM
    The Swans are custom-made for finals footy, they've been here before and they know what it takes. They will settle quicker, and that might make all the difference.
    Sydney by 15 points.

JAMES BUCKLEY
    Sydney. The midfield is in superb form, Buddy is almost unstoppable and the 2014 grand final defeat still rankles.

TIM BOYLE
    Western Bulldogs, to quote Updike: "There will always lurk, around a corner in a pocket of our knowledge of the odds, an indefensible hope, which you now and then find in sports, when a density of expectation hangs in the air and plucks an event out of the future."
    Western Bulldogs by 2 points.

WAYNE CAREY
    Western Bulldogs, because they won't be denied.
    Western Bulldogs by 5 points.

DANIEL CHERNY
    Few sides have the midfield depth to match it with the Swans, but the Bulldogs are capable of doing so.
    Western Bulldogs by 3 points.

​ROHAN CONNOLLY
    Sydney, best defence in the AFL, best midfield, a more than capable attack and motivation to spare after what happened on this day two years ago.
    Sydney by 24 points.

MICHAEL GLEESON
    Western Bulldogs are just as good inside as Swans and are quicker on the outside. But more so it is the irresistible romantic momentum.
    Western Bulldogs by 7 points.

SAMANTHA LANE
    Western Bulldogs. Because it's magic and they believe it.
    Western Bulldogs by 2 points.

TIM LANE
    The Bulldogs can neutralise the Swans' powerful midfield, they're battle-hardened, and they're ready.
    Western Bulldogs by 8 points.

​TONNY LERNER
    Western Bulldogs are riding an incredible wave of emotion and have taken all before them. There's no reason why it won't continue on Saturday.
    Western Bulldogs by 7 points.

MATTHEW LLOYD
    Sydney have the best defence, the deepest midfield and a man called Buddy Franklin.
    Sydney by 23 points.

SAM McCLURE
    Hard to write off the Dogs, but Sydney's physical dismantlement of Geelong was too overwhelming to overlook.
    Sydney by 12 points.

LARA NICHOLSON
    The Western Bulldogs, carried by the well wishes of every Victorian, have the drive and courage to go all the way.
    Western Bulldogs by 8 points.

JON PIERIK
    Sydney's midfield depth – and ferocity at the man and ball will provide their second flag under Longmire.
    Sydney by 17 points.

ASHLEY PORTER
    Both teams can move the ball around quickly and play with incredible intensity – but only the Swans know what to expect on grand final day.
    Sydney by 32 points.

EMMA QUAYLE
    The logical tip in many ways is Sydney, the steadiest team all season. But the Bulldogs have defied logic all year long. They're on a roll and have already shown they know how to beat these Swans.
    Western Bulldogs by 6 points.

SCOTT SPITS
    Last Friday night against the Cats showed that hunger was a driving force for the Swans. And I'm tipping a big game from one of the best in the competition, Lance Franklin.
    Sydney by 14 points.

ANDREW STAFFORD
    The head says Sydney, but the heart says the Western Bulldogs, and they're playing like they have Dog (sorry) on their side, with unshakeable belief. My tip is Western Bulldogs.
    Western Bulldogs by 3 points.

CAROLINE WILSON
    The Swans have worked too hard to atone for its 2014 capitulation to not perform at their best now and their best should win.
    Sydney by 11 points.

ANDREW WU
    Making the grand final is a big deal for the Bulldogs but not so the Swans, who are still burning from the pain of 2014.
    Sydney by 17 points.

AFL: 15 Experts tipsters, 9 for Sydney, 6 for WB
    Nick Bowen
    Winner: Sydney Swans, 11 points
    The talking point: In the dying minutes, the Bulldogs mount one final charge, pumping the ball deep inside their forward 50. As the ball drops short, Tom Boyd looks best placed to mark before Dane Rampe screams in from the side to take match-saving grab.

Ashley Browne
    Winner: Sydney Swans, 10 points
    The talking point: Two great midfielders going at each other, but the Dogs might struggle to quell the Swans' forward line if Franklin gets going and Tippett clunks a few. Jake Stringer needs to stand up and provide some spark and something for the Swans defenders to worry about.

Adam Curley
    Winner: Western Bulldogs, 11 points
    The talking point: Jake Stringer turns a horrible day on its head when moved into the midfield for the final term, after being blanketed by All Australian Dane Rampe. The star Bulldog inspires his side to victory after trailing by 20-points at the last change.

Ryan Davidson
    Winner: Western Bulldogs, 11 points
    The talking point: Headlines will abound that the AFL's longest premiership drought has been broken when Luke Beveridge and Easton Wood lift the cup to a sea of adoring red, white and blue faithful.

Nat Edwards
    Winner: Sydney Swans, seven points
    The talking point: Sydney Swans' youngsters make their mark on the big stage. Not overawed by the occasion, the Swans young guns in Isaac Heeney, Tom Papley, and Zak Jones rise to the challenge, leading the charge towards their first flag.

Lee Gaskin
    Winner: Sydney Swans, three points
    The talking point: The Swans will skip away to a four-goal lead at the main break before the Bulldogs display the fight they're renowned for to get back in the contest. The Dogs will surge late, but Heath Grundy will replicate Leo Barry's famous mark from the 2005 Grand Final to secure the Swans the flag.

Ben Guthrie
    Winner: Sydney Swans by 17 points
    The talking point: When the game is at its most fierce in the third term, Isaac Heeney elevates himself above all others with a standout performance on the game's biggest stage.

Travis King
    Winner: Western Bulldogs, eight points
    The talking point: Charging into a wide-open forward line, Lance Franklin's 70m kick dribbles just to the wrong side of the behind post and he's pinged for deliberate out of bounds. The Dogs sweep the ball to the other end for Clay Smith to kick the match-sealing goal.

Alex Malcolm
    Winner: Sydney Swans, six points
    The talking point: Franklin imposing himself in a tight, low-scoring encounter. He's had some big days in finals but this will be his finest hour. He'll impose himself physically and create goals through his presence, as he did in the first quarter of the preliminary final.

Dinny Navaratnam
    Winner: Western Bulldogs, four points
    The talking point: It will be a relatively quiet game from Jake Stringer from the first three quarters, but a moment of brilliance with 15 minutes remaining will see him fend off Josh Kennedy before snapping the ball through to put the Dogs ahead by seven points.

Peter Ryan
    Winner: Western Bulldogs, 8 points
    The talking point: Buddy puts in a vintage Grand Final performance, kicking seven goals and showing himself the best player on the ground, but the Western Bulldogs stand up and remain in touch at three-quarter time. Coach Luke Beveridge asks Bob Murphy to address the troops at the last break and the Bulldogs kick six goals to zero in the last quarter to win.

Nathan Schmook
    Winner: Sydney Swans, 16 points
    The talking point: The battle between young Swans star Isaac Heeney and Bulldogs superstar Marcus Bontempelli, who both top off brilliant finals campaigns by playing key roles for their teams. Should the Dogs have done more to stop Heeney?

Matt Thompson
    Winner: Western Bulldogs, five points
    The talking point: The umpires will put the whistle away and we'll wonder what all the debate about deliberate rushed behinds and out of bounds was about in the first place.

Callum Twomey
    Winner: Sydney Swans, 23 points
    The talking point: Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett combine for eight goals to deliver the Swans a premiership and justify their high-priced moves to the club in recent years.

Michael Whiting
    Winner: Sydney Swans, 15 points
    The talking point: The Bulldogs get plenty of ball, winning contested possessions, clearances and inside 50s, but just can't kick a winning score. The smart Swans defence not only locks down their opponents, but provides enough counter-attacking run to give their own forwards time and space to kick enough goals.

12. Thanks bornadog, N/A, ratsmac, Doc26 thanked for this post
    Likes cinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Webby for the insight and the list choco. Interesting reading!

Well, anyway Peter made a great defence of the decision and now the proof is in the pudding!
    What annoys me most is we paid MARKET VALUE for Tom. Other clubs would have paid more.
    The fact he is so physically big makes people forget how young he actually is.

Post Thanks / Like

He also admitted, Tom was a great return on investment
    Here it's on Sliding doors:
    "Western Bulldogs

Tom Boyd never plays again ...

... it doesn't matter. There has been full return on investment, just two years in. Great finals series. Remarkable Grand Final. JDJ was a more than worthy Norm Smith medallist, but the more we reflect and the more we watch a replay, Boyd was our BOG. A bit like Voss in the 2001 GF."

15. Likes bulldogtragic, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Careful not to make him to realistic. I'm not going to be a member of any club that accepts him.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Justin Leppitsch the latest to try and belt the worm.

Unhappy Justin Leppitsch confronts Damian Barrett, Michael Voss acts as peacemaker

GRAND Final week is a time for reunions and catch-ups in the football world.

But sometimes they can end in tears — well almost — if the wrong people cross paths which is what happened at The Footy Show after-party.

A number of the Brisbane players have a yearly reunion during Grand Final week where they come together to relive the good old days from their three flags.

After a decent session the Lions boys arrived at the Precinct Hotel where Channel Nine were holding its end-of-season party last Thursday night.

Justin Leppitsch was leading the charge and he made a beeline for Footy Show reporter Damian Barrett.

The pair exchanged words with the recently sacked Brisbane coach apparently less than pleased with how Barrett had reported the goings-on at the Lions this season.

To the shock of onlookers, former Lions ruckman Jamie Charman had to physically restrain Leppitsch with captain Michael Voss also required to act as a peacemaker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Here it's on Sliding doors:
    "Western Bulldogs

Tom Boyd never plays again ...

... it doesn't matter. There has been full return on investment, just two years in. Great finals series. Remarkable Grand Final. JDJ was a more than worthy Norm Smith medallist, but the more we reflect and the more we watch a replay, Boyd was our BOG. A bit like Voss in the 2001 GF."
    I don't like the shitstorm he helped make for Tom. But credit where it's due, that's as close to an apology as Tom and the club will ever get.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! Good on ya leppa. Good to give journo's some feedback on their dribble. Leppa just didn't have the cattle. Barrett is a spud!