Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  504
Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damien Barrett what's his agenda ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    A lot of the tension comes from having a poor playing list sadly lacking in depth. I would like the MC to really study the foot skills of Hawthorn today. Our lack of skill is a major factor in us being a bottom four team. We have too many players who do not dispose of the ball correctly. Unless this important area is urgently addressed we will continue to struggle.
    Not only that they need to recruit good decision makers .
    Looking at Hawthorn they always seem to be able to look inside 50 and find a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    A lot of the tension comes from having a poor playing list sadly lacking in depth. I would like the MC to really study the foot skills of Hawthorn today. Our lack of skill is a major factor in us being a bottom four team. We have too many players who do not dispose of the ball correctly. Unless this important area is urgently addressed we will continue to struggle.
    Absolutely.

One of the good things about sitting in the nosebleed section (I was pretty much 15m towards the goals from the base of the scoreboard at the Ponsford End) is you get a good feel for the gaps players get between themselves and their opponents all over the ground because you're so bloody high up!

What I noticed was that Hawthorn with two to three metres to spare used the ball by hand immeasurably better than the Swans. This was all skill and decisiveness rolled into one.

Given three to five metres space they hit targets regularly by foot. Short, long and in between.

Our drafting now needs to concentrate on these area as we have too many players that can't do the latter, even if we are getting better and better at the former.

The Hawks of today are light years ahead of our very skillful sides of the 2008-2010 era - which we've dropped away from in recent times. We have such a long way to go, and the only way we'll get there is via the draft. Recruiting good decision makers and good kicks is so important for us now. If we land a tall with our first pick, and end up with two or three second rounders polish needs to be front of mind with the second round picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Umm this post above seems to Have gone off course, this is a thread about Barrett and his picking on us and what is the reason for it, not about hawks win :-)
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Tiger.

It's branched out, so to get it back on track - Barrett is bad, and I don't like him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Seems everything this bloke is writing about is negative about us, is their any truth in it or is he just plucking at straws and blowing it out of proportion ?
    For those who haven't heard he has said the senior group has lost Macca, has said it on a few occasions now, but from what I read on here and other places I haven't heard it at all, only him.
    I don't like giving this topic any more oxygen than it deserves but Barrett said a fair bit more than this on his AFL.com.au segment with Gary Lyon early on in the week. It was poor form by Barrett but also by Lyon to not question the allegation that Barrett was making. In particular, he claimed that the "rumblings were real and that they are also legitimate" and that it's not a happy place. Is it Barrett determining the legitimacy ? Why didn't Lyon challenge anything about this accusation ? He (Barrett) then made the call that our Club should move Macca on but our Club "does not have enough guts" to do anything about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly he dislikes Macca. For what reason I do not know.

Having said that I would be gobsmacked if the club was a happy place to be around at the minute. We had a terrible season that never got going. Been bad for 4 years running now. If the senior players are happy there is something wrong with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Clearly he dislikes Macca. For what reason I do not know.

Having said that I would be gobsmacked if the club was a happy place to be around at the minute. We had a terrible season that never got going. Been bad for 4 years running now. If the senior players are happy there is something wrong with them.
    Maybe he just sees Brendan and our Club as easy targets for his journalistic style. I see it as simply baiting us for a response. It frustrates journos immensely when they get nothing coming back.

We erred earlier in the season when calling out Jackson's reason for being demoted through media channels.
    Look how they fed on it for weeks and unfortunately probably will for years to come. I say give them nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to keep at the back of our minds that he's not completely full of shit and that there might be something to it.

Just as an option to fall back on, nothing more and nothing less. I mean really, is it that unreasonable to suggest the coach and the senior players who in each other's minds aren't performing to the required level aren't happy with each other and aren't getting along?

9. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just being captain obvious
    For me if we're battling next season it's going to go from a whisper to a roar.
    If we have more than a few disgruntled players it will become a mutiny .
    Which will result in only one outcome, and to say we need a good start next season is an understatement .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think we need to keep at the back of our minds that he's not completely full of shit and that there might be something to it.

Just as an option to fall back on, nothing more and nothing less. I mean really, is it that unreasonable to suggest the coach and the senior players who in each other's minds aren't performing to the required level aren't happy with each other and aren't getting along?
    No one would be surprised following an end of season review, after the season we had, that some tensions and words didn't surface between players and coach. That's a good thing. But when you have said journo sprouting that our Club does not have the guts to move Brendan on following what he claims as 'legitimate' then that's taking it to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Just being captain obvious
    For me if we're battling next season it's going to go from a whisper to a roar.
    If we have more than a few disgruntled players it will become a mutiny .
    Which will result in only one outcome, and to say we need a good start next season is an understatement .
    Can only hope it's a mutiny of the sort that nearly saw Thompson out the door before leading Geelong to three flags.

Post Thanks / Like

Barret is a prize goose, who gives a toss what this bloke says, or for that matter anyone who has any thing to do with the footy show.
    They push their own agenda and really have no credibility at all.
    As if anyone would pay any attention to the plastic Brayshaw or Lyon compared to our very credible President's in Smorgon or Gordon.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Barrett is like Caro, makes up stories from rumours and the odd one is right then hangs his hat on it.
    That's how I see him anyway, he has made a few bad calls over the years.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

He's the typical of modem journalist. Smash the small clubs because even if he's wrong he won't be held to account and kiss the dick of the big club on the up at the time.

Everyone in the middle he'd just hedges his bets in case they're up next year.

He starts a rumour and then clowns like Garry Lyon and Matthew Lloyd take it the next step so they don't look like they're outside the loop.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Barrett is like Caro, makes up stories from rumours and the odd one is right then hangs his hat on it.
    That's how I see him anyway, he has made a few bad calls over the years.
    I think Caro has better sauces than Barrett .
    Can someone get the bloke sole polyfila

16. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Caro as a journalist is pretty spot on.

Not every journo is good at TV or radio, Caro is good at print. When she's against our team I hate it, as she's often right, when she's against our opposition I watch intently.

18. Likes azabob liked this post