Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  522
Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damien Barrett what's his agenda ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It is a fixation, no doubt about it. His other fixation is Nathan Buckley, as he is a Malthouse admirer - as a result you won't see him overly praising Bolton or Carlton in 2016 as it makes his boy Mick look bad.

Every journo has a couple of fixations and easy targets they draw on to justify their roles and keep the column inches flowing - Scully and Tippett copped it pretty mercilessly early on in their long term contracts. Even Barrett will shut up when Boydy starts to deliver at senior level on a consistent basis.
    He's the perfect mouthpiece for that time honoured Australian tradition of tall poppy syndrome. There is a big chunk of the AFL supporting population that loves the idea of a young kid taking the big money and failing and he plays to that crowd to a tee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He's the perfect mouthpiece for that time honoured Australian tradition of tall poppy syndrome. There is a big chunk of the AFL supporting population that loves the idea of a young kid taking the big money and failing and he plays to that crowd to a tee.
    Leigh Matthews is at the front of this queue - hasn't he been a revelation since coming back to Brisbane as pseudo president

Post Thanks / Like

It is a fixation, no doubt about it. His other fixation is Nathan Buckley, as he is a Malthouse admirer - as a result you won't see him overly praising Bolton or Carlton in 2016 as it makes his boy Mick look bad.

Every journo has a couple of fixations and easy targets they draw on to justify their roles and keep the column inches flowing - Scully and Tippett copped it pretty mercilessly early on in their long term contracts. Even Barrett will shut up when Boydy starts to deliver at senior level on a consistent basis.
    Yeah that's the key isn't it? When that happens, and it will, the raging hard on he has for us will finally start to go flaccid.

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    When boyd comes good and his wage is down to 500,000 because we front loaded then what's his MO?
    Long service lead presumably.

Leigh Matthews is at the front of this queue - hasn't he been a revelation since coming back to Brisbane as pseudo president
    The blatant ill will Lethal has for Toyd comforts me no end. If Mattews thinks that us finally getting off the can and getting the tall forward that our previous flag tilts have lacked is such an awful idea then I love it! It kind of reminds me of Bobby Davis and his carry on over Brad Hardie. "Oh you just can't play like that, back pockets shouldn't be running down the ground like that. What about their opponents? Defenders running down the ground and leaving their opponents all by themselves will never catch on"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It kind of reminds me of Bobby Davis and his carry on over Brad Hardie. "Oh you just can't play like that, back pockets shouldn't be running down the ground like that. What about their opponents? Defenders running down the ground and leaving their opponents all by themselves will never catch on"
    He kind of had a point in the 1985 PF

5. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lock Barrett in a room with tom Boyd for an hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Nah, Redpath or Libba.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Nah, Redpath or Libba.
    I'd prefer it be Bevo.

9. Likes hujsh, chef, dadsgirl16, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    This is his MO:

Week A: praise Bont or Stringer
    Week B: slag Boyd

Rinse and repeat.
    You forgot the jabs at our coach comrade.

Post Thanks / Like

He kind of had a point in the 1985 PF

It took them 24 weeks and three quarters to expose it. Mind you when it fell apart it really did fall apart. We just couldn't work out how to stop the little old bloke from kicking goals from all over the place.

We needed a team defence. Own some zones.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'd prefer it be Bevo.
    Possibly not locked in but this has already played out between Luke and Barrett.

Also, not that he is of any significance in any circle but this Toyd topic is a very tiring hobby horse of Greg Denham.
    Gaining AFL media accreditation seems about as easy as getting a bunch of free tickets to a GWS game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Possibly not locked in but this has already played out between Luke and Barrett.

Also, not that he is of any significance in any circle but this Toyd topic is a very tiring hobby horse of Greg Denham.
    Gaining AFL media accreditation seems about as easy as getting a bunch of free tickets to a GWS game.
    I might be naive but I don't get why his contract causes some journos to lose their mind, other than tall poppy syndrome rearing its head. Who other than the Bulldogs should really care what he's being paid and how it may or may not affect our list management down the track.

Honestly, who gives a ****? We're the ones paying him the money, why do they take it personally as if Boydy has drained their private bank account. It's nuts.

14. Likes bornadog, Flamethrower, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the feeling that well before the end of the season we will have tried the Boyd Redpath combo again and this time it will work. In fact, if it works, it could be the thing that takes us to a flag this year. That will fix Barrett up.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine Boyd comes good this year and kicks 4 in the grand final and we win .. Then what Barrett?
    How hilarious would that be .. He couldn't jump on the bandwagon quick enough !
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Imagine Boyd comes good this year and kicks 4 in the grand final and we win .. Then what Barrett?
    How hilarious would that be .. He couldn't jump on the bandwagon quick enough !
    Even better, Boyd accepts his medal and says into the mic - "suck a fat one, Damo".

18. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Barrett, for some reason I can't put my finger on, always strikes me as being perfect for a movie role playing the guy who sells counterfeit anti-biotics during some wartime epidemic. Maybe the humidity over here is getting to me!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

20. Likes Twodogs, F'scary liked this post