Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  522
Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damien Barrett what's his agenda ?

Everyone thinks they are a selector and an expert without knowing the inside discussions

IF ...Bevo has been many things in his nine years as an AFL coach ...

THEN ...
    the stubbornness characteristic has been prominent throughout. He takes advice from no one. And the more that expert commentators tell him to play Aaron Naughton as a key defender, and to recall Jack Macrae from the reserves, the more staunch he is in keeping them where they are.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's kinda not wrong though.
    W00F!

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was a senior coach with premiership credentials I would simply take advice from expert commentators.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Likes hujsh, jeemak, Happy Days, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    If I was a senior coach with premiership credentials I would simply take advice from expert commentators.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha I laughed “ expert commentators “ they certainly aren’t struggling with ego.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

He takes advice from no one.
    As if he would know who Bevo takes advice from. Absolutely certain he takes advice from his assistant coaches, from Egan and from senior players. His personality is very collaborative.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And the more that expert commentators tell him to play Aaron Naughton as a key defender, and to recall Jack Macrae from the reserves, the more staunch he is in keeping them where they are.
    Why any rational sane person would take advice from click hunting journos is beyond me. The only circumstances you might take advice from anyone outside the club would be from a respected and trusted mentor. Nothing in the public sphere qualifies as that sort of advice.

Post Thanks / Like

"Luke Beveridge is a maverick. He answers to no one and respects no authority. You think you can tell him what to do? Take your stinking badge then. He doesn't need it. He'll find his own gun and get things done his way. You think you can stop him. Just try." - Damien Barrett probably

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    "Luke Beveridge is a maverick. He answers to no one and respects no authority. You think you can tell him what to do? Take your stinking badge then. He doesn't need it. He'll find his own gun and get things done his way. You think you can stop him. Just try." - Damien Barrett probably
    I do remember Michael Warner talking about various people involved at AFL Clubs and saying that there were a number - he used Bevo as an example - who hadn't been "house trained" and wouldn't toe the party line of the media or AFL House.

I think in many regards it's a good thing...at the same time if you are dismissing "out of hand" comments about anything you are in charge of simply because you don't like what they are saying, well...I think that's bad. And if multiple voices are saying the same thing, well, again...maybe seek out a couple of those who you don't believe are complete dicks and try and understand their perspective.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes Uninformed, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I do remember Michael Warner talking about various people involved at AFL Clubs and saying that there were a number - he used Bevo as an example - who hadn't been "house trained" and wouldn't toe the party line of the media or AFL House.

I think in many regards it's a good thing...at the same time if you are dismissing "out of hand" comments about anything you are in charge of simply because you don't like what they are saying, well...I think that's bad. And if multiple voices are saying the same thing, well, again...maybe seek out a couple of those who you don't believe are complete dicks and try and understand their perspective.
    Yeah maybe I guess I can't really say I have an opinion on the matter. I just find it funny Barrett's attempt to disparage Bevo made him seem cooler than he probably actually is.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo at last year's AFLCA Awards Night ...

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Bevo at last year's AFLCA Awards Night ...

Adam Simpson : Hey Bevo what are you up to?

Bevo : You don't wanna knowwwwww....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

If what Warner said is true, then kudos to Bevo.

Who, with any actual knowledge of the matter, said that Bevo rejects things out of hand? He is quite a humble person, definitely not egoistically attached to his own views. I am sure he considers every angle, and a variety of opinions, of the situation and consults with those around him before arriving at a decision.

When an ego maniac observes someone making a decision they naturally assume that the person making the decision does it the same as them, in a close minded, authoritarian and bigoted way. They can't believe that someone could arrive at a view different to their own by any rational or considered means. In the view of the ego maniac journo someone disagreeing with their assessment must be simply stupid and stubborn.

Bevo is a good communicator, very collaborative and not an ego maniac. He has the most comprehensive first hand knowledge of the team, his players and coaches. Far more so than any media figure. He is the best person to lead the team and make the final decisions. That's why we pay him the big bucks!

Of the jounos criticising Bevo, which are the ones you consider not to be complete dicks?

20. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, bornadog, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is getting as absurd as the where's Kate kerfuffle.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    If what Warner said is true, then kudos to Bevo.

Who, with any actual knowledge of the matter, said that Bevo rejects things out of hand? He is quite a humble person, definitely not egoistically attached to his own views. I am sure he considers every angle, and a variety of opinions, of the situation and consults with those around him before arriving at a decision.

When an ego maniac observes someone making a decision they naturally assume that the person making the decision does it the same as them, in a close minded, authoritarian and bigoted way. They can't believe that someone could arrive at a view different to their own by any rational or considered means. In the view of the ego maniac journo someone disagreeing with their assessment must be simply stupid and stubborn.

Bevo is a good communicator, very collaborative and not an ego maniac. He has the most comprehensive first hand knowledge of the team, his players and coaches. Far more so than any media figure. He is the best person to lead the team and make the final decisions. That's why we pay him the big bucks!

Of the jounos criticising Bevo, which are the ones you consider not to be complete dicks?
    Yeah I have some good direct sources of people who Luke worked for and some he worked with. You've described many of the postiive traits I've heard attributed to him.

When people in the media or fans try and tar him with ego driven or not keen on taking on board challenging views or feedback from his team, it just doesn't dovetail with first hand experiences of those in his circle at work that I have heard.

I have heard that if he believes in something or his team do, he will back them to the hilt, and this can lead to some professional friction from time to time with decision makers above him. But all in all that too is, or can sometimes be a positive trait.

One piece of commentary I just refuse to engage with is the thoroughness or coherently thought out rationale for the way we try and play and the team we put on the park. I know he and the team exemplify best practices in how they go about their business.

This is of course not to say they make the right decision...all I mean is that the fact the we don't know why a player is or isn't playing, or why we set up a certain way, or what is being done to address certain aspects...isn't the same as meaning it's because there isn't a cogent reason why.

When people talk about selection madness, that's fine, but I'm not going to debate the merits of it, because its based on a nonstarter of a premise, that is, the selection committee is madness! It's just patently not.
    We don't undertstand it, and it may not be correct, but it's not borne out of naivety or ignorance...or madness. I don't think they're sniffing boppers and throwing darts at names on a board

I know from the pre-season video snippet the club released that players have access to a Bulldogs dictionary and app with all manner of videos and tutorials and descriptions of game plan philosophy, terms, meanings, role plays, scenarios, glossary of Bulldog terms etc... that they are expected to breathe in.

So, the need for any head coach change won't be borne out of any madness or lack of professionalism in approach or game plan. It may just be his time has come and his philosophy no longer works and he's unable to maneuver the right levers to get the best out of this group any more.

Bevo and crew will have to be accountable for whether or not their philosophy is viable. I strongly suspect this year is the year it culminates either way.
    This is the year the team need to show Bevo's way is the best approach forward, over the next 22 remaining matches and hopefully beyond.
    If we don't win at least a finals game, and have a strong home and away season, I am almost certain change will come at the end of the year, and earlier if it's obvious we are going to fall short of those expectations.