Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brendan McCartney to remain Western Bulldogs coach despite a major review

Going back to the original thread regarding player unrest after the exit interviews I was reminded of a comment by Paul Roos on how Sydney would have handled the player meeting post their grandfinal debacle.

Paul pointed out that the players knew they had performed badly and that John Longmuire would have to put aside his anger prior to his address, because a berating would not be appropriate at that time; and would do much more harm than good.

Bomber Thompson was in complete agreement.

It would be nice to think that those involved in the review would now have learned this lesson, and that there will not be a repeat of this episoide.

The time for a bake is when players can do something about it, eg half time, three quarter time; not when they can do nothing about it during the off season.

ps. During the VFL grand-final I sat next to a group which contained a young man of about seven or eight, wearing a signed jumper with number 19 on the back. For most of the game he put up with a fair amount of good natured chiding from his father and friends with regard to Liam Jones's performance. One could only admire his stout hearted defense of his idol, and fortunately he had the last laugh after Liam's last minute goal fest.

Administrators please note: all our actions have ramifications. I wonder what that young boy is feeling now.

If we are very lucky he will keep the jumper and change the number, not vice versa.

2. Likes bornadog, G-Mo77, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's great that the club has disclosed some of these things.

J54 - I don't know if anger would have been the driver in the criticism of senior players in the post season reviews. Having said that, I'm glad he has gone hard at a number of them as our senior players and some of our periphery players were very ordinary this year, and over the last three years at different times in the case of the senior players have not lead the club well at all.

I'm glad we are putting more resources into opposition analysis, I'm still not convinced match day coaching and manoevres aren't overrated though if we're putting more work into the strategy then that's a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meshe1969 View Post
    Applied and am VERY confident.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes azabob, Go_Dogs, jeemak, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would have thought they would have had an opposition analyst already .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Would have thought they would have had an opposition analyst already .
    Pretty sure it was part of Montgomery's brief. It seems they want to spread the load or beef the role up, or both.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have a team of opposition analysisists.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really pleased with that review and it is good to see Macca be critical of himself. Hopefully next year he can learn from his mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meshe1969 View Post
    No no time wasted. Clearly they are seeking a match day coach. It will be interesting to see who they get - you would want someone with recent coaching experience who has been successful - Sanderson?

Post Thanks / Like

from the paperBut McCartney’s coaching panel faces key changes, with the 53-year-old handed specific growth areas in the review to address his shortcomings.
    Sounds like one of the stages of Festivus.

12. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Sounds like one of the stages of Festivus.
    Feats of strength between whom I wonder?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Didn't George love festivus .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I was thinking more of the airing of grievances. The one where you tell somebody why they are such a disappointment to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was thinking more of the airing of grievances. The one where you tell somebody why they are such a disappointment to you.
    I have festivous regularly then. After the grievances comes the feats of strength. So to process, Macca must take on the feats of strength challenge. Not sure if Peter or Simon take on the role as the grappler? Or co-opt Chris Grant in off the board as the club's rep?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone think Macca's job was right on the line? Is he under pressure if we don't make the 8 next year? I know it's a long-term plan but importent people inside the club like results. I'm thinking that Macca was put right under the pump in this review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Does anyone think Macca's job was right on the line? Is he under pressure if we don't make the 8 next year? I know it's a long-term plan but importent people inside the club like results. I'm thinking that Macca was put right under the pump in this review.
    Next year - 10 rounds in if we are 3 and 7 there could be trouble.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.