Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brendan McCartney to remain Western Bulldogs coach despite a major review

A MAJOR review of the Western Bulldogs coaching structure has shored up Brendan McCartney’s position as senior coach.

But McCartney’s coaching panel faces key changes, with the 53-year-old handed specific growth areas in the review to address his shortcomings.

The Herald Sun understands McCartney has conceded he has flaws as a coach which he will aggressively address in the off-season, but his future is in no doubt for 2015.

The review took in the club’s footy department and coaching structure, drilling into the reasons for the fade-out that culminated in an embarrassing loss to Greater Western Sydney.

The Dogs will boost their tactical acumen in the coaching department and are likely to change the way peer and coaching reviews are conducted after some brutally honest feedback in exit interviews.

There is a concession from Whitten Oval that McCartney and his coaching panel went too hard during those exit interviews, which put some players off side.

But no one at the Dogs is apologising for holding players to account after the diabolical finish to the season.

Like Mark Thompson after Geelong’s 2006 review, McCartney will have more time freed up from peripheral issues to concentrate on one-on-one coaching of players.

The review has strongly indicated McCartney is the man to lead the Dogs forward, but must be surrounded by as much coaching depth as possible.

That will include more resources, possibly in opposition analysis, with fans frustrated by the lack of tactical moves put forward by McCartney at times this year.
    Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick confirmed to the Herald Sun the scope of the review.

“From our point of view it was sat with the way we finished the year,’’ he said.

“It has brought with it a review and assessment of how we can improve and while it has created some discomfort in the club everyone is really committed to moving forward.”

The Dogs are confident Adam Cooney will stay next year despite rumblings about his discontent and feel Will Minson is comfortable about his future at the club.

Shaun Higgins will land at North Melbourne tomorrow on a four-year deal worth around $400,000 a season.

The Dogs hope that will land them an end-of-first-round pick at around selection 20 or 21 which teamed with their first selection (no. 5) could be swapped for a top-three pick to secure key talls Patrick McCartin or Peter Wright.

Garlick confirmed interest in Sydney’s Sam Reid but said he was settled in Sydney,

“We are going to be pretty proactive to ensure the trade period provides us with specific needs or lets us slide up the draft to get into a zone where we might be slightly more specific.”

Both St Kilda and Melbourne are desperate for deals that give them an extra pick or players inside the top 20.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/bre...-1227078301266

2. Thanks bornadog, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brendan McCartney to remain Western Bulldogs coach despite a major review

Post Thanks / Like

I feel so much better after hearing key people from the club talking in the last couple of days. Obviously the player reviews were very harsh (maybe too harsh) but sounds as though everyone has acknowledged that fact and (hopefully) are back on the same page. I'm liking the sound of packaging picks to bump us up the draft order.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite the criticism I'm sure may follow regarding the outcome of the review, I think it's really brought to a head some of the issues the Club has been facing and ensures that all stakeholders are aware that their collective performance, in certain areas, hasn't measured up. They have taken the hit on the chin, and will continue to develop themselves as coaches, as players, and will have the resources made available to help them get better in those deficient areas.

Any idea who we may look at as a candidate for the role?

Post Thanks / Like

One of the criticisms or concerns I heard about B-Mac in the early days was his perceived limitations as a 'match-day coach'.. It isn't great that it is still an issue 3 years on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    One of the criticisms or concerns I heard about B-Mac in the early days was his perceived limitations as a 'match-day coach'.. It isn't great that it is still an issue 3 years on.
    I think a lot of posters on this board have had the same view. In fact how many times have we said he needs help on match day, or even an ex senior coach to be by his side. I really believe the club erred in the way we set up the coaching panel after the departure of Rocket.

Why in the hell we gave Macca a two year extension is beyond me. Probably saved him in the end.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else see the excellent Channel 7 documentary about AFL Coaches the night before the GF? Macca fwas on it quite a few times, spoke well.

Post Thanks / Like

Pick 5 and 21 tor pick 3, theres your bold move you were after BAD. If it nets us the KPF we are dying for I'll be rapt.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Did anyone else see the excellent Channel 7 documentary about AFL Coaches the night before the GF? Macca fwas on it quite a few times, spoke well.
    Yes, I think there is a thread about it.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Pick 5 and 21 tor pick 3, theres your bold move you were after BAD. If it nets us the KPF we are dying for I'll be rapt.
    Imagine if Wright & MCartin went picks 1 & 2. Our supports would go nuts.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We end up with Petracca - I wouldn't be disappointed.
    Gun forward, gun mid who was top ten with a natural leap at the combine. Will be a star
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We end up with Petracca - I wouldn't be disappointed.
    Gun forward, gun mid who was top ten with a natural leap at the combine. Will be a star
    I think he is favourite for pick 1

Post Thanks / Like

That would mean we end up with essentially pick 1 as Petracca is universally thought of as the best available isnt he. If thats the case our supporters will survive. High risk, high reward.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    He always speaks well.. Just don't know how effective he is in implementing a successful game style & coaching on match-day.

Post Thanks / Like

A few supporters would be negative ( most likely the ones who suggest we aren't doing enough to get the right cattle ) but I imagine most would be happy we at least gave it a crack.
    If it fails we still end up with a quality kid so no real loss.

Very pleased after reading the article( looks like they have been reading Woof ) and believe Peter will make sure it is followed through to the ninth.
    One thing I am a tad annoyed about though is why don't have a comprehensive review every season, if this had been done a season or two back these issues would have been addressed much earlier.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.