THE Western Bulldogs want to elevate their No.5 pick in the trade period to ensure they draft the prized key forward they crave.

Key-position talents Paddy McCartin, Peter Wright and Sam Durdin could be snatched before the Dogs enter the draft, while Darcy Moore is set to join Collingwood as a father-son on Monday.

Strong midfielders Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw will also feature at the top of the draft board.

The Dogs’ first pick could swell to No.6 should Melbourne receive maximum compensation for Hawthorn-bound James Frawley.

Rivals believe McCartin – a 194cm, 94kg full-forward from Geelong Falcons – would be the ideal focal point for the Dogs, who are set to lose high-marking goalkicker Liam Jones to Carlton.

“I’ve spoken to my manager and a few other people and they’ve said trade period will play a big part in what ends up happening,” McCartin, 18, said.

“I feel like I’d be able to go in and have a bit of a presence next year.”

Wright is a 203cm ruck-forward and South Australian Durdin is a 197cm swingman who feels more comfortable in the backline. Peter Wright is expected to go inside the top five at the national draft.Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick confirmed the draft plan, which means the top six selections could all be placed on the trade table.

St Kilda is open to deals for the No.1 pick and Melbourne – should it secure Nos. 2 and 3 – is also in a position to trade.

The Dogs’ most realistic chance of nabbing McCartin is to exchange its first selection (currently 5) and a sweetener for the Demons’ first pick in a condensed version of last year’s Dom Tyson trade.

Petracca is expected to go No.1, particularly if Greater Western Sydney prise that pick from the Saints.

The Giants currently hold pick three and a similar mooted trade would appeal to both them and St Kilda if balanced.

“We are going to be pretty proactive and aggressive in terms of ensuring that this trade period … gives us a slide up the draft to allow us get into a zone where we might be able to be slightly more specific to what we need as a club,” Garlick told SEN.

Despite boasting three top-six picks in the past two drafts the Dogs have not had the chance to secure power forwards Tom Boyd (GWS) and Jesse Hogan (Melbourne), while Jon Patton (GWS) went No.1 in 2011.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1227079437357