Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs hope to improve draft position in bid to secure needed key forward

THE Western Bulldogs want to elevate their No.5 pick in the trade period to ensure they draft the prized key forward they crave.

Key-position talents Paddy McCartin, Peter Wright and Sam Durdin could be snatched before the Dogs enter the draft, while Darcy Moore is set to join Collingwood as a father-son on Monday.

Strong midfielders Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw will also feature at the top of the draft board.

The Dogs’ first pick could swell to No.6 should Melbourne receive maximum compensation for Hawthorn-bound James Frawley.

Rivals believe McCartin – a 194cm, 94kg full-forward from Geelong Falcons – would be the ideal focal point for the Dogs, who are set to lose high-marking goalkicker Liam Jones to Carlton.

“I’ve spoken to my manager and a few other people and they’ve said trade period will play a big part in what ends up happening,” McCartin, 18, said.

“I feel like I’d be able to go in and have a bit of a presence next year.”

Wright is a 203cm ruck-forward and South Australian Durdin is a 197cm swingman who feels more comfortable in the backline. Peter Wright is expected to go inside the top five at the national draft.Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick confirmed the draft plan, which means the top six selections could all be placed on the trade table.

St Kilda is open to deals for the No.1 pick and Melbourne – should it secure Nos. 2 and 3 – is also in a position to trade.

The Dogs’ most realistic chance of nabbing McCartin is to exchange its first selection (currently 5) and a sweetener for the Demons’ first pick in a condensed version of last year’s Dom Tyson trade.

Petracca is expected to go No.1, particularly if Greater Western Sydney prise that pick from the Saints.

The Giants currently hold pick three and a similar mooted trade would appeal to both them and St Kilda if balanced.

“We are going to be pretty proactive and aggressive in terms of ensuring that this trade period … gives us a slide up the draft to allow us get into a zone where we might be able to be slightly more specific to what we need as a club,” Garlick told SEN.

Despite boasting three top-six picks in the past two drafts the Dogs have not had the chance to secure power forwards Tom Boyd (GWS) and Jesse Hogan (Melbourne), while Jon Patton (GWS) went No.1 in 2011.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1227079437357

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope to improve draft position in bid to secure needed key forward

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    THE Western Bulldogs want to elevate their No.5 pick in the trade period to ensure they draft the prized key forward they crave.

Key-position talents Paddy McCartin, Peter Wright and Sam Durdin could be snatched before the Dogs enter the draft, while Darcy Moore is set to join Collingwood as a father-son on Monday.

Strong midfielders Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw will also feature at the top of the draft board.

The Dogs’ first pick could swell to No.6 should Melbourne receive maximum compensation for Hawthorn-bound James Frawley.

Rivals believe McCartin – a 194cm, 94kg full-forward from Geelong Falcons – would be the ideal focal point for the Dogs, who are set to lose high-marking goalkicker Liam Jones to Carlton.

“I’ve spoken to my manager and a few other people and they’ve said trade period will play a big part in what ends up happening,” McCartin, 18, said.

“I feel like I’d be able to go in and have a bit of a presence next year.”

Wright is a 203cm ruck-forward and South Australian Durdin is a 197cm swingman who feels more comfortable in the backline. Peter Wright is expected to go inside the top five at the national draft.Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick confirmed the draft plan, which means the top six selections could all be placed on the trade table.

St Kilda is open to deals for the No.1 pick and Melbourne – should it secure Nos. 2 and 3 – is also in a position to trade.

The Dogs’ most realistic chance of nabbing McCartin is to exchange its first selection (currently 5) and a sweetener for the Demons’ first pick in a condensed version of last year’s Dom Tyson trade.

Petracca is expected to go No.1, particularly if Greater Western Sydney prise that pick from the Saints.

The Giants currently hold pick three and a similar mooted trade would appeal to both them and St Kilda if balanced.

“We are going to be pretty proactive and aggressive in terms of ensuring that this trade period … gives us a slide up the draft to allow us get into a zone where we might be able to be slightly more specific to what we need as a club,” Garlick told SEN.

Despite boasting three top-six picks in the past two drafts the Dogs have not had the chance to secure power forwards Tom Boyd (GWS) and Jesse Hogan (Melbourne), while Jon Patton (GWS) went No.1 in 2011.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1227079437357
    Hopefully we can elevate up the draft ladder now that we definitely have no.6.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs hope to improve draft position in bid to secure needed key forward

What do we do obtain that ?
    I see the only way is giving the AFL demons our Higgins pick and the other 2nd .
    Just can't see giving up a kid for three draft spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I see the only way is giving the AFL demons our Higgins pick and the other 2nd .
    I think thats what we will offer pick 6 and 26 for 3. I'd be happy to do that as Wright and McCartin will be gone by 6.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think thats what we will offer pick 6 and 26 for 3. I'd be happy to do that as Wright and McCartin will be gone by 6.
    If that's the case the case I'd want 2 not 3. If St Kilda goes for Petracca then we have our choice of tall, and Melbourne can ruin the career of whoever we don't choose.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

6. Likes chef, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    If that's the case the case I'd want 2 not 3. If St Kilda goes for Petracca then we have our choice of tall, and Melbourne can ruin the career of whoever we don't choose.
    I wonder whether the Dees would still want Brayshaw making it a fairly moot point? They need high quality mids more than anything else

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    This is more than enough. Melbourne will want more though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I wonder whether the Dees would still want Brayshaw making it a fairly moot point? They need high quality mids more than anything else
    Maybe, they need a lot of everything. Perhaps we can clarify their intentions as part of a deal.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

The hard part is making an enticing deal for Melbourne.

Our first and second pick aren't enough, for starters pick 26 isn't worth a 3 pick downgrade at the pointy end, and besies Roos doesn't rate draft picks anyway.

To get it we are going to have to give up a player, and a decent player at that. The players Melbourne are going to be looking at on our list are part of our quality young midfield group: Macrae, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Wallis, Hrovat, Dahlhaus. None of which i would be happy to get rid of without considerable compensation. If we did get rid of one I would want Melbournes second pick (23) back at the least, and only Wallis and Hrovat are players I would maybe put in that trade from this group.

It's going to be really interesting to see how we work this trade so that we benefit.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

11. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

Our first and second pick aren't enough, for starters pick 26 isn't worth a 3 pick downgrade at the pointy end, and besies Roos doesn't rate draft picks anyway.

To get it we are going to have to give up a player, and a decent player at that. The players Melbourne are going to be looking at on our list are part of our quality young midfield group: Macrae, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Wallis, Hrovat, Dahlhaus. None of which i would be happy to get rid of without considerable compensation. If we did get rid of one I would want Melbournes second pick (23) back at the least, and only Wallis and Hrovat are players I would maybe put in that trade from this group.

It's going to be really interesting to see how we work this trade so that we benefit.
    If Roos doesn't rate draft picks give him jones for 3
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

That's what I was thinking if it was one of those it would be Hrovat or Wallis, and I want their second rounder .
    Or if the AFL Demons can get a first rounder somehow

Post Thanks / Like

It will be Hrovat then......can't see the club letting go a son of a gun.....talent aside its the fabric of the club that you are playing with. Its one thing to pass on the son of a club great, but to draft and develop and use a trade bait to lure another kid to the club the weight of expectations that kid would bear would be immence.

There are a handful of players at the Western Bulldogs who are club greats, Steve Wallis is one and I can't see Mitch going anywhere

Post Thanks / Like

Can't see Hrovat going he is our small Who knows where the goals are ., tough as nails and great around the club also.
    That would be a big mistake.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Can't see Hrovat going he is our small Who knows where the goals are ., tough as nails and great around the club also.
    That would be a big mistake.
    I just fail to see what else we could offer to acquire the pick. If we were Melbourne we wouldn't be taking something as weak as a second round pick or someone like Adam Cooney.

I would like to keep Hrovat also.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    It will be Hrovat then......can't see the club letting go a son of a gun.....talent aside its the fabric of the club that you are playing with. Its one thing to pass on the son of a club great, but to draft and develop and use a trade bait to lure another kid to the club the weight of expectations that kid would bear would be immence.

There are a handful of players at the Western Bulldogs who are club greats, Steve Wallis is one and I can't see Mitch going anywhere
    Such a move didn't seem to hurt Josh Kennedy or Hawthorn too much did it?