Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  25
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zaine Cordy - Welcome to the Bulldogs

I don't think he has the footskills to play the rebounding defender role. Nice hands yes, but his footskills are ok not elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I don't think he has the footskills to play the rebounding defender role. Nice hands yes, but his footskills are ok not elite
    I'm in the minority, but I really like his kicking when he has time in particular. My scribbles 3 games prior to champs where I have his disposal at 70%+ when he was playing more rebounder. That doesn't mean anything under more pressure at the next level.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Zaine is a little like Shaggy for me, he can play tall defender, but he's most value as a tall running rebounding player.
    Hargrave was notoriously bad against tall forwards, he didn't have the height or bulk to compete and so gave away free kicks.

Zaine has the reach to play tall, with a little more strength he could play on tall forwards and rebound as well. Think Dustin Fletcher.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm in the minority, but I really like his kicking when he has time in particular. My scribbles 3 games prior to champs where I have his disposal at 70%+ when he was playing more rebounder. That doesn't mean anything under more pressure at the next level.
    What do you think of his decision making BT? From the very little I've seen there were a few times he panics, hesitates and second guesses with ball in hand, either shooting it long down the line or turning it over. Is it something that comes up in his game a bit or is he generally pretty good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Hargrave was notoriously bad against tall forwards, he didn't have the height or bulk to compete and so gave away free kicks.

Zaine has the reach to play tall, with a little more strength he could play on tall forwards and rebound as well. Think Dustin Fletcher.
    Arms and spoiling like Dustin, but I'm not about KPP. When we started playing Shaggy as a rebounding player who coukd spurt playing tall we were better. I'd prefer to see Zaine in that role, just my preference on my perceptions of his performances I've watched this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.....amazed that anybody can analyse a young players strengths and weaknesses from a short clip of games he's played in. Why not reserve judgement until you see him play with Footscray?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    What do you think of his decision making BT? From the very little I've seen there were a few times he panics, hesitates and second guesses with ball in hand, either shooting it long down the line or turning it over. Is it something that comes up in his game a bit or is he generally pretty good?
    I missed his finals but others here I think have mentioned things similar to this in the finals. It's hard to say, I have blinkers and I've not questioned decision making too much. What I can say is I have a greater confidence when he is running through half back with handball receives and he sees the game in front of him. Teams seemed to want him take him deeper and that's why I'm hesitant about him being mentioned as a KPP against 200cm, 100kg men not 194cm kids. I think his ability to run and have the options already in his sights is a much better option. I'm thinking some solid time at Footscray will show how he goes with those issues when the speed and pressure increases. I like his game generally if you didn't pick that up.

8. Thanks lemmon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Wow.....amazed that anybody can analyse a young players strengths and weaknesses from a short clip of games he's played in. Why not reserve judgement until you see him play with Footscray?
    I think a few of us have seen him play live on multiple occasions this year in TAC and/or champs?

10. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Wasn't aware we shouldn't talk about draftees until they were in the system? We'd have significantly less to talk about this time of year

Post Thanks / Like

I'll admit I watched the clip and that's all I have seen of the kid. I think anyone at pick 61 is a lottery, so if he fails no big deal (unless pick 62+ turns into a gun!). I guess what I found concerning is that the highlights package includes at least 2 clangers and didn't showcase a Gilbee like ability to thread a pass. I liked his marking, thought he used his height well and was able to work his body to get his opposition under the ball. I can't see him being a rebounding half back, but I think a Shaggy-clone is about right.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, how many players have the ability to kick the ball like Lindsay? Very few from what I have seen........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I can't see him being a rebounding half back, but I think a Shaggy-clone is about right.
    Im not trying to disagree, but we are underplaying how elite a kick Hargrave was

Superb kick of a footy, No gilbee level, but then Gilbee was the top 1% ever to play IMO

15. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard not to get excited by a highlights reel but he already looks like he can take a contested mark and read the play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    To be fair, how many players have the ability to kick the ball like Lindsay? Very few from what I have seen........
    Think Darley might be the closest we've come to finding a quality distributor of the ball by foot in defence. Hopefully he is because we've wasted 5 years and a number of draft picks trying to find the next Gilbee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Think Darley might be the closest we've come to finding a quality distributor of the ball by foot in defence. Hopefully he is because we've wasted 5 years and a number of draft picks trying to find the next Gilbee.
    By foot potentially, he has shown good ability to hit a target by foot and get the ball to its destination quickly, even at times under pressure. Gilbee's strength as his peak was that he could also defend quite well, something that looks a real weakness for Darley. Hopefully it's a focus for him over the preseason and he shows improvement in this area.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships