Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  25
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zaine Cordy - Welcome to the Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Thats a sure sign we've forgotten how lethal a back line with Hargrave, Gilbee, Lake and Harbrow was in setting up play - all were great kicks
    Yep - it was a terrific backline.

The more I think about it, the loss of Harbrow was devastating. He wasn't and isn't an A grader, but he was crucial to the way we played given much of our attack often came from defense.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a sure sign we've forgotten how lethal a back line with Hargrave, Gilbee, Lake and Harbrow was in setting up play - all were great kicks
    You could also add in Smith, they all had great skills when under pressure.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Don't remember him being a great kick but this might just be my memory. He was definitely a long kick and he sure loved bombing the ball into the forward 50, but so did just about everyone at one point.
    More than once, Gilbee kicked a ball and I thought it was a miss-kick as it seemed to go nowhere. Then someone led into the space beautifully and it dawned on you what he had done. Anyone else had this double take?

I get a bit excited by the father sons and hope Zaine can cope with it. He seems very agile and cool under pressure. Love the vids
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Yep - it was a terrific backline.

The more I think about it, the loss of Harbrow was devastating. He wasn't and isn't an A grader, but he was crucial to the way we played given much of our attack often came from defense.
    Harbrow looked like becoming an A grader with us though, and the GC move set him back a bit - he just blended so well in our backline

It kind of goes without saying but losing Harbrow and Ward has hurt us enormously - particularly as our list was ageing

Post Thanks / Like

Im not trying to disagree, but we are underplaying how elite a kick Hargrave was

Superb kick of a footy, No gilbee level, but then Gilbee was the top 1% ever to play IMO
    Not sure about that. he almost always used his penetration to advantage but he was a dodgy field kick IMO. He could kick it 60 metres no problem, trouble was we rare had anyone on the end of it up forward.

Great player though and really effective one on one and as second man up.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not sure about that. he almost always used his penetration to advantage but he was a dodgy field kick IMO. He could kick it 60 metres no problem, trouble was we rare had anyone on the end of it up forward.

Great player though and really effective one on one and as second man up.
    Yep, It's a point that seems to get lost on a lot of our supporters. He was a long and straight kick, but he was a get it and bomb it long whenever there was a hint of pressure, type player. Many suppporters like that because they seem to think a long kick out of defence is something that the opposition somehow can't counter, whereas in today's game it's just transferring the pressure onto your team mates up the ground and in defence when it enevitably comes straight back.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

The Gilbee type has been the most troublesome .
    It's been a roll call to replace him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Yep, It's a point that seems to get lost on a lot of our supporters. He was a long and straight kick, but he was a get it and bomb it long whenever there was a hint of pressure, type player. Many suppporters like that because they seem to think a long kick out of defence is something that the opposition somehow can't counter, whereas in today's game it's just transferring the pressure onto your team mates up the ground and in defence when it enevitably comes straight back.
    It worked against inferior opposition, but it worked against us v St. Kilda and Geelong especially. The 09 PF Hargrave did this all too often.

Nevertheless, he was a good player.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not sure about that. he almost always used his penetration to advantage but he was a dodgy field kick IMO.
    We will have to agree to disagree on this point.

He shanked the odd kick, but in my opinion he was elite field kick, able to set the play up, penetrating by foot, hit targets at a high clip. The suggestion that he just hoofed the ball long is in my opinion inaccurate.

Post Thanks / Like

He shanked the odd kick, but in my opinion he was elite field kick, able to set the play up, penetrating by foot, hit targets at a high clip. The suggestion that he just hoofed the ball long is in my opinion inaccurate.
    Elite field kick? You use the word elite liberally then.

Hodge, Gilbee, Suckling, Goddard even Bob are elite users of the ball. I think Hargrave's issue with field kicking was more around decision making than a lack of technique, even though he had a slightly stop and prop action.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I'd put Shaggy in the elite category by foot either, but he was deadly accurate by hand.

But I'm digressing ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

12. Likes Maddog37, F'scary, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Not sure I'd put Shaggy in the elite category by foot either, but he was deadly accurate by hand.

But I'm digressing ...

Got the right bloke too. Most blokes would have thought it was Baker.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

But I'm digressing ...
    He was a black belt in martial arts (can't remember which one)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Shaggy always there for his teammates.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

It was certainly more accurate the closer he got to the forward 50