Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  57
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Lonergan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Lonergan

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Mark Stevens tweeted that we had tried to lure Steven May from GC during the year. Clearly we see it as a position of need to be filled, which it is. Getting a player who can fill it is much more difficult.
    Maybe we should have thrown Roberts and Talia in the deep end and learnt on the job and not stuck learning at VFL level. We had nothing to lose.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If we had decent defensive talls coming through, all this Merrett and Lonergan talk would not be happening. The reality is that we have major holes down back and not a lot coming through to fill those holes. Talia and Fletcher are just about the two most important players on our list - if they fail to make the grade, we almost lose the opportunity to contend in the next 4-5 years.
    Totally agree with this. If Morris goes down we're in trouble. Obviously then it's a chance for Talia and Roberts to step in but developing players isn't all about just sticking them out there on the field. Developing players is also about having experience around them and a Merrett or Lonergan have just that. The concern in my opinion is about what we give up to get these guys in their 30s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and whose fault is that? I come back to the Lake decision and why I didn't want to break the umbilical call.

Do we ever plan for the future, seems not.
    It was Lake's decision to leave, not the clubs. Plus we had or were about to draft Talia and Roberts (both KPD) how is that not forward planning?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    It was Lake's decision to leave, not the clubs. Plus we had or were about to draft Talia and Roberts (both KPD) how is that jot forward planning?
    I don't want to go into the Lake thing and why he left etc etc and whether good or bad.

My point is on the one hand posters want to get rid of players hitting 30 but there are other consequences, like not having a Lake in the backline and his experience to teach the younger players. So what happens, we have to go and get another 30 year old.

This is bad planning.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it bad planning if the younger guys dont come on as fast as we want or just hindsight?

I guess its all moot with Lakey anyway as he's the one who wanted out.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Is it bad planning if the younger guys dont come on as fast as we want or just hindsight?

I guess its all moot with Lakey anyway as he's the one who wanted out.
    I don't believe he wanted out - he was told they will be playing younger players in the backline and he is to play forward. He didn't want that. Tom Williams same, ie not in the backline. If you don't believe me fine, but Macca told my mate in the rooms before the Brisbane match in 2012.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely someone is taking the piss. If even half the trade talk happens, I will be annoyed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Surely someone is taking the piss. If even half the trade talk happens, I will be annoyed.
    I don't believe any of it but happy to discuss my thoughts

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe he wanted out - he was told they will be playing younger players in the backline and he is to play forward. He didn't want that. Tom Williams same, ie not in the backline. If you don't believe me fine, but Macca told my mate in the rooms before the Brisbane match in 2012.
    This is my understanding of it.

Lake was told we wanted him to play forward for the benefit of the team, to enable us to develop at least one player at FB for the coming years.

Lake decided he didn't want to do that, so was moved on with mutual agreement. Lake was happy, and we began developing Roughead with an eye to the future.

Win win.

Now we have a scenario where we're concerned that Talia and Roberts may not come along as we'd hoped, and we're exposed if Morris goes down so we're looking for experienced quality to play in our defence for three years to allow us to develop Talia and Roberts further, or develop another defender to replace either one or both of them.

It's not that difficult to understand, surely?

Also, consider the only available defender of any note (who probably isn't as good as Lonergan anyway) that fits the ideal age profile just moved to Hawthorn on a huge contract and probably didn't even consider coming to us, and what other viable options do we have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This is my understanding of it.

Lake was told we wanted him to play forward for the benefit of the team, to enable us to develop at least one player at FB for the coming years.

Lake decided he didn't want to do that, so was moved on with mutual agreement. Lake was happy, and we began developing Roughead with an eye to the future.

Win win.

Now we have a scenario where we're concerned that Talia and Roberts may not come along as we'd hoped, and we're exposed if Morris goes down so we're looking for experienced quality to play in our defence for three years to allow us to develop Talia and Roberts further, or develop another defender to replace either one or both of them.

It's not that difficult to understand, surely?

Also, consider the only available defender of any note (who probably isn't as good as Lonergan anyway) that fits the ideal age profile just moved to Hawthorn on a huge contract and probably didn't even consider coming to us, and what options do we have?
    You have highlighted my point. We made a mistake by moving Lake and now we are trying to rectify it, however, Lonergan is not the answer at age 30 and will be 31 next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Key Geelong defender Lonergan on the Dogs' radar

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have approached Geelong key defender Tom Lonergan about a move to the Whitten Oval as they seek to bolster their undermanned defence.

Lonergan, 30, is contracted with Geelong to the end of 2015, but AFL.com.au understands the Bulldogs have expressed their interest in trading for the premiership defender.

Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney was a development coach at Geelong during the first eight years of Lonergan's career (2003-2010).

Lonergan's former teammates Matthew Scarlett, Cameron Mooney, Joel Corey and Steven King are all on the Dogs' coaching panel as well.

The Bulldogs' approach to Lonergan follows their inquiry about Brisbane Lions key defender Daniel Merrett, who turns 30 in December, earlier this trade period.

Since Brian Lake's departure to the Hawks at the end of 2012, Jordan Roughead and the undersized Dale Morris (190cm) have shouldered most of the Bulldogs' key defensive responsibilities.

The addition of Lonergan, 198cm, or Merrett, 195cm, would ensure the Bulldogs were much better placed to counter opposition power forwards.

Lonergan has played 145 games with the Cats since debuting in 2005, and was a member of the 2011 premiership side and the losing 2008 Grand Final team.

He was also selected in the preliminary All Australian squad in 2012 and 2014.

Link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-0...utm_medium=RSS

Post Thanks / Like

You have highlighted my point. We made a mistake by moving Lake and now we are trying to rectify it, however, Lonergan is not the answer at age 30 and will be 31 next year.
    That's where you and I differ. I don't believe for a raft of reasons we erred in letting Lake go - or asking him to play forward. Yes we may have been too bullish in our expectations of Talia and Roberts, and while that's unfortunate it is what it is and needs to be worked around.

When the season starts Lake will be 33, and definitely not the ideal candidate to assist us for the next three years. Lonergan is an excellent full back, and as I've said, if there's no available player of comparable ability that fits the perfect age profile we may as well take him on. At least he'll actually help us be more competitive over the next two to three years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If we had decent defensive talls coming through, all this Merrett and Lonergan talk would not be happening.
    I think our problems relate to all our potential talls not coming through, both forward and back. Neither Liam Jones, Ayce Cordy, Tom Campbell, Michael Talia or Fletcher Roberts have been able to lock down a permanent berth at senior level or even suggested that they are likely to.

Which is why the attempted trade for Levi Greenwood was incomprehensible, that wouldn't have fixed anything.

Given that we need to win games to maintain membership, as well as continue with the development process isn't an easy call.

Tom Lonergan, depending on what we have to give for him, is at least going to help address this for a short time. Barry Hall was always a limited time call, and he certainly provided value.

And as Terry Wallace pointed out on Trade Radio, we cannot afford to be without Liam Jones.

Critically speaking we need to admit we have a problem in the development area and perhaps draft/employ aother coach for talls development instead.

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's where you and I differ. I don't believe for a raft of reasons we erred in letting Lake go - or asking him to play forward. Yes we may have been too bullish in our expectations of Talia and Roberts, and while that's unfortunate it is what it is and needs to be worked around.

When the season starts Lake will be 33, and definitely not the ideal candidate to assist us for the next three years. Lonergan is an excellent full back, and as I've said, if there's no available player of comparable ability that fits the perfect age profile we may as well take him on. At least he'll actually help us be more competitive over the next two to three years.
    We will see what happens as I can't imagine Geelong would want to lose him.

Post Thanks / Like

As Simon Dalrymple so flippantly says - we pick the best available, then we 'compliment' those draftees through trade.

well, this is it what that looks like. throwing cash and picks at anyone we think we can shake loose.

That being said, as long as we get the right players when we need them, I dont mind. But its not as easy as he makes it sound.
    Lonergan to FB and Roughie to FF for the next 3 years would be good.