Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boyd v Going to the draft.

Has to be done. He is the monster we have been seeking since Chris Grant retired. Would be a dream situation Griffen and second pick but if we have to Griffen and 6 would have to do. Mind you the first would be great so we could get Durdin from SA with 6. Boyd type players don't come around very often so we need to get him now.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread. From the extreme lows of last to the dizzying high of yesterday, i think we can say that, perhaps, the reality that we may not get TB is a real possibility. Hence we're coming back to earth.

This is not to say don't go all out. If we got TB for RG and it cost us our pick 6 i'd be slightly disappointed. What i do really see as a fair trade, if it isn't a straight swap and there's a sticking point is one of the following:

- RG and P6 for TB and P7 - assuming that the Jaksch deal goes through
    - RG and P6 for TB and P19 and James Stewart - assuming that the Jaksch deal goes through

I'd like for P4 to be involved, however i can't see that we'd be able to meet any offloading requirements back to GWS. I don't see them doing P4 & 7 (again Jaksch contingent) for RG if they stick firm and deny TB moving.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone please tell me if Boyd can just walk now and not see out his contract and play footy anywhere next year as long as it isn't in the AFL or does he effectively require 'clearance' from GWS even if it is to play VFL footy?

Post Thanks / Like

He isn't going to ruin his career so it doesn't really matter

Post Thanks / Like

Forget his worth on the open market - the important part is his worth to us.

Yes pick 4 or 6 lands us a Bonti, Macrae, Stringer, Toumpas, Wines, or this year a Laverde, Durdin, maybe Brayshaw (unlikely) - but none of those are a genuine no 1 power forward.

McCartin will go earlier than 4 and Wright is no guarantee to slip - and even if he does, Boyd's TAC record is much better (and is Wright a genuine power forward at AFL level or a rangy running forward/ruck in the Kreuzer category?)

This is our chance to turn last week's shit sandwich into a rolled gold caviar baguette and get the player who will spend 10 years with our young gun midfield developing together.

I'm all for it. Another consideration: Membership sales next year based on "captain walking out" vs "once in a generation power forward playing for us shaddup Ryan who?" seem to be a fairly significant difference.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Can anyone please tell me if Boyd can just walk now and not see out his contract and play footy anywhere next year as long as it isn't in the AFL or does he effectively require 'clearance' from GWS even if it is to play VFL footy?
    It would be a huge mistake to do that. Possible but 99% unlikely.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    This is a great thread. From the extreme lows of last to the dizzying high of yesterday, i think we can say that, perhaps, the reality that we may not get TB is a real possibility. Hence we're coming back to earth.

This is not to say don't go all out. If we got TB for RG and it cost us our pick 6 i'd be slightly disappointed. What i do really see as a fair trade, if it isn't a straight swap and there's a sticking point is one of the following:

- RG and P6 for TB and P7 - assuming that the Jaksch deal goes through
    - RG and P6 for TB and P19 and James Stewart - assuming that the Jaksch deal goes through

I'd like for P4 to be involved, however i can't see that we'd be able to meet any offloading requirements back to GWS. I don't see them doing P4 & 7 (again Jaksch contingent) for RG if they stick firm and deny TB moving.
    This is what confused me with the Alberti tweets. Surely we have suffered enough, to think the deal sealed, only to find GWS laughing in our faces.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Even if we can't get the Boyd deal done, we have at least put ourselves in the strongest possible position.

If they are determined to keep Boyd, GWS are now under pressure to give us the best possible deal.

Picks 4 & 7 are a genuine possibility now.

I'm almost thinking this is best case scenario.

Going into the draft with picks 4, 6 and 7 is huge.

We stand by our commitment to Boyd, tell him the deal is still on the table and get him next year. WIN. WIN.

9. Likes josie, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Even if we can't get the Boyd deal done, we have at least put ourselves in the strongest possible position.

If they are determined to keep Boyd, GWS are now under pressure to give us the best possible deal.

Picks 4 & 7 are a genuine possibility now.

I'm almost thinking this is best case scenario.

Going into the draft with picks 4, 6 and 7 is huge.

We stand by our commitment to Boyd, tell him the deal is still on the table and get him next year. WIN. WIN.
    Absolute best case scenario. I think unlikely though. He could just as easily end up at any other Melbourne club next year. He wants out of Sydney, and home to Melbourne. It's flattering he's put the Dogs as preference but that's based on what's on the table now. I fully expect other clubs will come hard at him at the end of next year.

We either grab him now, or we probably don't at all. We can get more mids. We've proven that. We can't get KPFs. I'd offer Griff & 6 in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Absolute best case scenario. I think unlikely though. He could just as easily end up at any other Melbourne club next year. He wants out of Sydney, and home to Melbourne. It's flattering he's put the Dogs as preference but that's based on what's on the table now. I fully expect other clubs will come hard at him at the end of next year.

We either grab him now, or we probably don't at all. We can get more mids. We've proven that. We can't get KPFs. I'd offer Griff & 6 in a heartbeat.
    If they want another forward they can have Jones too. There is no guarantee we get him next year as you say. The going price for a kid like Boyd is overs, so we pay the market price. There's 48 hours nearly to go, the AFL mediators will get asked in at some point and then see what happens. I say we get him, but Griff and pick 6 is about right.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Griff and pick 6 just seems too high for a guy who's played a handful of average games and is completely unproven. Griff and our second rounder is more realistic, otherwise I say play hard ball and get him next season for nicks.

Boyd will then be the icing on our cake of clutch rookies coming through. This includes our current crop plus whoever we draft at 4, 6 and 7.

I tell you what, whoever becomes coach is getting a pretty juicy list to play with wow. And old mate Dalrymple might be the first recruiter ever knighted

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance of pick 6 and griff for Boyd and Stewart?
    Would they do that?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Any chance of pick 6 and griff for Boyd and Stewart?
    Would they do that?
    That is one player I like. Played well in last game against us. Think he kicked 3 goals. Looks very promising.

Post Thanks / Like

GWS are flat refusing to entertain any possibility of trading Tom Boyd. Way to turn him offside Giants!!

We should let him develop for another year in Orange then sign him when he is out of contract next year. Clear plenty of salary cap space and throw the kitchen sink at Boyd and Cameron and Treloar and Shiels and Coniglio and any other player out of contract, with the aim at getting Boyd (who wants to play with us either in 2015 or 2016) plus 2 other young stars.

Trade Griffen to them this year for picks 4 and 7 (playing hardball) - gives us 4,6 & 7. Then trade 6 and 7 to St Kilda for pick 1. With picks 1 and 4 take Petracca to replace Griffen and McCartin or Wright. (I doubt the Dees will take both, as they seem to want Brayshaw and 1 tall).

Post Thanks / Like

Why would GWS give us picks 4 & 7 this year and let us take him for nothing next year?

They'll just tell us to shove it, keep Griffen and back themselves in to have a good year next year and turn Boyd around (which may easily happen). This leaves us without any extra picks and a player that betrayed us.

I'm calling it now. This is going to go pear shaped.

Awesome.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.