Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  128
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Ling is terrible. Daisy is ALSO terrible. If she is going to break into the game to state the bleeding obvious, well, she would be better off saying nothing at all.

We already have one boundary rider who is determined to EXPLAIN the game to us (David King). We KNOW. We are not morons. We are watching. Stop telling us what we can see with our own eyes. Apologies to those riding the Daisy train, but addition by subtraction would be the best approach for her to follow.
    Disagree. I think Daisy DOES MORE than tells us what we can see with our own eyes and brings a fresh perspective.

In your view who are the good commentators?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

BT referred to the Plastics as the “reigning grand finalists”. That sounds a lot like the current trend of giving awards to everyone. In that game, they were embarrassed. Flogged. Disgraced.

But oh, they’re the “reigning grand finalists”. Pffttt.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I have not heard much of Daisy - I think I recall her special comments in women’s matches which I did think much of but to be fair she was probably still finding her way. I thought some of her insights on our game on Friday were worthwhile. She is definitely no worse than some of the other dross. Daisy seems like an intelligent person and I think will improve and have a feeling she will be AOK.

Post Thanks / Like

I was turned off Daisy from the early days of her being a media darling so I have no time for her. All of the Channel 7 and fox commentators make you want turn the sound off.
    Peter Donegan should have got more air time.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I want Special Comments to tell me what is happening away from the ball, like player moves, injury details, who is going on and off, things I can't see on TV - not the bleeding obvious.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is the commentators (and TV Execs) think the majority of the audience are morons and they feel the need to talk at moron level.

The Execs make it easy by employing people who readily identify with a lot of their perceived audience.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Problem is the commentators (and TV Execs) think the majority of the audience are morons and they feel the need to talk at moron level.

The Execs make it easy by employing people who readily identify with a lot of their perceived audience.
    That is the media across all the board.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce is cooked, gushes over the big names like Dusty and Danger and has an unhealthy crush on his "mate" Duck. If you are ever in the mood for a drinking game just listen to Bruce continually bombard Carey with questions like, "gee that was a good kick wasn't it Duck" or "do you think they can come back from this far down Duck" or "that young bloke reminds me of you Duck", it's bordering on sickening. As far as Daisy goes she takes a bit too long to generally state the obvious. When they throw down for a quick comment she often overstays her welcome. Not a lot of quality around unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the public"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always like Jason Bennett. He's considered, concise and knowledgeable especially around lower leagues.
    None of this rubbish boys club banter. Everyone I speak to is over ch7 I actually turn the sound down.
    My preferred setup is a decent commentator with a game expert alongside. Similar to Premier league.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to admit that Nick Riewoldt is quickly going past the other 'special comments' crew.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I want Special Comments to tell me what is happening away from the ball, like player moves, injury details, who is going on and off, things I can't see on TV - not the bleeding obvious.
    The great Richie Benaud was a true believer in giving the audience some credit for understanding what they were seeing.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Have to admit that Nick Riewoldt is quickly going past the other 'special comments' crew.
    He was actually pretty impressive covering our game against the Saints. Kept a measured approach to how they looked while the other morons lost their mind over Max King dropping marks.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sick of hearing where the player came from and what he did for a job, where he went to school etc etc . Bruce started that rubbish. We are interested in the game not a players private life .
    Make a show about players lives if you want to tell us that stuff but not during a game!
    Bring back the biff

16. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t mind Daisy TBH but 7Sport will no doubt mould her into being mind numbing like the rest of her crew.

On that front, I am still waiting to hear if Hamish McLaughlin is capable of providing anything remotely insightful other than having mastered the art of being completely inane.

I always feel that much dumber having put myself through the torture of listening to their Friday Night Footy coverage.

18. Likes jeemak, bornadog liked this post