Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  128
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Doug Heywood was excellent. Great voice, great insight. Great tennis commentator too. And that's difficult to do on radio.
    Anyone remember Craig Kelly on Channel 10doing the VFA? I once heard him say: "Both teams have been playing for 10 minutes in the last quarter." Which, I thought was eminently fair. I used to like Peter McKenna (TV) and Phil Gibbs from 3DB??? Jack Dyer was unique and loveable. If Tommy Layoff hadn't have been born, someone would have had to invent him as he added so much richness to life.
    Cannot abide Bwuce in any way shape or form.
    In defence of BT, I thought his call of the 2016 Prelim was sensational. I think he must have wagered 10K on us.
    He was renowned for calling out from the player's rooms "Can you hear me Harry"? ....referring to Harry Beitzel. A doyen.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say I'm enjoying the renaissance of Peter Donegan.
    His calling on SEN is top shelf old school. Fully in command of the game, sees it well, calls it well, a little humour here and there, but not at the expense of the actual narrative of the game. Knows his players, knows his footy history, and is good at working with the rest of the team.

I agree with a lot of comments. Anthony Hudson is good. Gerard Whateley is good.

My most hated are Dwayne Russell. And Bruce Mcavaney. I'm just waiting waiting waiting for Bruce to retire. Aren't I?

3. Likes Sedat, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember hearing (I think) Smoky Dawson talking about why Richie Benaud was the best commentator he ever heard, using the Gatting ball as an example; Richie just said "he's done it" and let the pictures do the talking. Commentary for television is really about knowing when to shut up and calling what's in front of you without more. It's no coincidence that AFL commentators typically take the opposite approach.

As always, Dwayne is a creep and the worst going.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I remember hearing (I think) Smoky Dawson talking about why Richie Benaud was the best commentator he ever heard, using the Gatting ball as an example; Richie just said "he's done it" and let the pictures do the talking. Commentary for television is really about knowing when to shut up and calling what's in front of you without more. It's no coincidence that AFL commentators typically take the opposite approach.

As always, Dwayne is a creep and the worst going.

The early '80s and Greg Chappel (until Steve Smith the best batsman I have seen wear the baggy green) was really struggling mounting up duck after duck against the Windies pace attack and Richard Hadlee was getting him out for fun. Greg walks to the wicket against the Windies at the MCG (I think) test match and manages to nick the first ball he faces straight to Viv Richards at first slip.

All Richie said was "First ball..." but you could hear all three of the ellipsis points as he said it. It was the most devastating two ball summary of all time.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Loved Doug Hayward
    Jack Dyer was great
    I think the only time Dougy was called Douglas was Doug Hayward
    Doug Heywood always used the full name of the player - Nicholas Winmar, Douglas Barwick, Terence Daniher, etc..

I remember watching Fitzroy v Footscray on The Winners in the early 80's one night and Doug Heywood gave this little nugget of commentary gold..."Mark Komp, kicks it like he normally does, very poorly"

He was a brilliant and understated commentator. Basically the bipolar opposite of most of the heathens today.
    Last edited by Sedat; 21-08-2019 at 06:08 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes 1eyedog, westbulldog, GVGjr, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    He was renowned for calling out from the player's rooms "Can you hear me Harry"? ....referring to Harry Beitzel. A doyen.
    Does anyone know where Tommy Lahiff got his nickname of "Tommy the Turk"? He was a much loved man.
    "The Professor", Kevin "Skeeter" Coghlan was a erudite and perceptive panelist on W of S.
    Bruce Andrew may have been the last man in Australia to persist with a middle parting. A real gentleman.
    I also loved Roy Simmonds. He had a great laugh.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a jazz musician called Tommy Turk. I always thought that the nickname was something to do with him. Tommy and Harry had some good years calling Footscray matches on 3WRB in n the 1990s with Steve McPherson doing special comments.

Post Thanks / Like

I must add. I can totally not stomach Luke Darcy as a commentator at all...........he is unbearable.

Loved him as a player and I believe he's a good person.................but just totally polluted by FM blokiness........just awful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I must add. I can totally not stomach Luke Darcy as a commentator at all...........he is unbearable.

Loved him as a player and I believe he's a good person.................but just totally polluted by FM blokiness........just awful
    They all are IMO. The day Dennis retired, modern day afl commentary died with it. So glad we were the last game he ever called!

Post Thanks / Like

Roos drove me mad today calling JJ "Johanson." He's a Norm Smith medallist ffs, how hard is it to get his name right.

Bet Roos would have been pissed off if commentators had referred to him as "Roof."

14. Likes merantau, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hardly watch football on TV and if I do it’s on mainly on mute.

Friday was an exception and re-confirmed my huge dislike of Cameron Lings commentary but 100% reinforced how good Dasiy Pearce is. Channel 7 should have her in the commentary box not as a boundary rider.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Friday was an exception and re-confirmed my huge dislike of Cameron Lings commentary but 100% reinforced how good Dasiy Pearce is. Channel 7 should have her in the commentary box not as a boundary rider.
    She is really good.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn’t agree more az
    Ling is a pain in the arse
    Captain obvious

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Ling is terrible. Daisy is ALSO terrible. If she is going to break into the game to state the bleeding obvious, well, she would be better off saying nothing at all.

We already have one boundary rider who is determined to EXPLAIN the game to us (David King). We KNOW. We are not morons. We are watching. Stop telling us what we can see with our own eyes. Apologies to those riding the Daisy train, but addition by subtraction would be the best approach for her to follow.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Ling is terrible. Daisy is ALSO terrible. If she is going to break into the game to state the bleeding obvious, well, she would be better off saying nothing at all.

We already have one boundary rider who is determined to EXPLAIN the game to us (David King). We KNOW. We are not morons. We are watching. Stop telling us what we can see with our own eyes. Apologies to those riding the Daisy train, but addition by subtraction would be the best approach for her to follow.
    I agree about Daisy.