Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  128
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

As crazy as it sounds we're probably missing Dennis Cometti. He wasn't an insightful commentator but he did at least call the game. I know that's a really low bar to set but that's where it's at atm.

Post Thanks / Like

On a side note, anyone know why our game next week on Thurs night against Gold Coast is not on free to air? Every thursday night game this year has been

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    As crazy as it sounds we're probably missing Dennis Cometti. He wasn't an insightful commentator but he did at least call the game. I know that's a really low bar to set but that's where it's at atm.
    But that's all you really need the caller to do. Call the game and leave the analysis to the special comments and boundary guys.

4. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    But that's all you really need the caller to do. Call the game and leave the analysis to the special comments and boundary guys.
    Yes, that is how it should be, plus the special comments and boundary should be giving us more insight into the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's true. But then he still annoyed me. I've only realised since he's been gone how less annoying he was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Can you imagine the conversation at ch7?

"Hey guys, what do you reckon, should we focus on the alleged sex offender?"

Come on guys, whatever happened to the "presumption of innocence"? It is the golden thread which runs through our justice system.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Thanks for reposting that article, TD, I was looking for it this week but couldn't find it.

This makes me feel much better for still struggling to follow the game even after ten years, mostly watching from home. I learn so much more from WOOF than I have ever learned from the commentators (nothing) and I didn't understand the game at all until I started attending matches -- it's literally impossible to work out what's going on from the TV if you don't already have an understanding of the game. The frustrating thing is that it would be relatively easy to fix, or at least to improve.

The fawning, sycophancy and downright creepiness of the commentary is another whole issue.
    It's in a completely shocking state if it's own category of issue!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Come on guys, whatever happened to the "presumption of innocence"? It is the golden thread which runs through our justice system.
    Hence the word alleged.

The comment is aimed at the tone deaf nature of ch7's coverage and the fact that focusing on someone heavily after returning from absence having been alleged to have committed the serious offence of indecent assault was always going to cause trouble and be highly likely to cause offence to the audience. The fact those on the coverage are known to fawn over Wayne Carey, a person who has committed acts of domestic violence and has also pleaded guilty to indecent assault himself, and are most likely encouraged to do so, says everything you need to know about the values of ch7.

That's what I was trying to articulate with my post. I definitely hold the presumption of innocence up as a key tenet of what makes our society something resembling fair (for most).

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Soccer commentary is excellent. I can understand the deviation away from what's happening directly on screen in golf and cricket for instance, because it takes a long time for things to happen in those sports. But Aussie rules shouldn't need that, as soon as there is a break in the play bang, hit us up with something meaningful and get back to it.
    Exactly. In soccer the commentator often goes ages without saying anything because, frankly, there is nothing to say. If there isn't anything happening on the field we don't need to be yelled at with platitudes like "oh boy" or try to work out WTF the private joke is?

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bruce has apologized and acknowledged his error. I don't think he meant to minimise the seriousness of the charge in front of De Goey
    I didn't watch but from what I heard on the radio this morning I reckon Bruce got a text telling him to apologize. Imagine for a moment that you are a victim of assault and you hear something like that? "A hiccup"

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Thanks for reposting that article, TD, I was looking for it this week but couldn't find it.

This makes me feel much better for still struggling to follow the game even after ten years, mostly watching from home. I learn so much more from WOOF than I have ever learned from the commentators (nothing) and I didn't understand the game at all until I started attending matches -- it's literally impossible to work out what's going on from the TV if you don't already have an understanding of the game. The frustrating thing is that it would be relatively easy to fix, or at least to improve.

The fawning, sycophancy and downright creepiness of the commentary is another whole issue.
    No problem.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Well looks like Bruce has now fallen creepily in love with one of our own in Cody.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Not football commentator I know but I’m watching the test cricket eng v West Indies and the lady commentator fits right in, extremely good.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Not football commentator I know but I’m watching the test cricket eng v West Indies and the lady commentator fits right in, extremely good.
    Apparently they also make good world leaders...…..but who'd have guessed it huh?

15. Likes The bulldog tragician, azabob, hujsh, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The commentary for the game against Essendon was typically poor.

We depend on them telling us something insightful and they are incapable.

When JJ was lining up his set shot BT claims he has been moved onto Saad, who was the closest player to him and stood the mark.

JJ had been the player who pressured Saad into a kicking error earlier in the quarter and that was the only other time I had seen then in the same vicinity.

JJ slots the goal and clearly goes back to half back with not a peep from Brian that he may be wrong.

Near the end of the game BT trots out an alleged stat that he must of misread, that the Centre Clearances were 12-3 to Essendon. Anybody watching the game knew that just couldn't be right, but BT just spouted it.

Add to the fact how often they just call the wrong player and it is worse than irritating.

The TV coverage also lets us down in the vision shown. A couple of times with off the ball frees, there was no vision shown, but they are supposed to have enough cameras to cover everything. Why can't they just gives us the vision that tells us why the umpire paid the free.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently they also make good world leaders...…..but who'd have guessed it huh?
    I listened to the abc audio synched with the game and Kelli Underwood was calling. No BS she just called the game and even cut off Malthouse (incidentally whose son is a dogs fan) and Ling (theres no escape) at times. She's a pro.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Showing my age here but the commentators of today come across as fawning, often inaccurate, uninteresting and not entertaining other than Cometti's good calling and wit. They are not a patch on the likes of Doug Heywood, Don Hyde or Smokey Dawson imo. Google 'the winners' and/or you tube and check them out. The best sporting commentator I have ever heard was English commentator Phil Liggett who covered the Tour De France.

20. Likes Twodogs liked this post