Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  128
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

Just on SEN - it's good to hear that we finally have a bulldog voice on air.

Kevin Hillier is now hosting the Sunday afternoon segment.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim Lane knows his stuff...BT's mildly entertaining...and Commetti has his moments, but Gerard Waitley on ABC Grandstand deserves much more kudos than he receives.

Professional, articulate, extremely well informed, with a penchant for the dramatic when it's required. Shites all over the boofheaded cliche machines who can't construct a sentence but nonetheless dominate TV and radio.

Brayshaw, Lyon, Maher, Brereton, Schwarz, Blight, the list is endless...you watch/listen to games in spite of those tedious, self-serving dolts.

While I'm at it, Christie Malthouse and Sam Lane do good work too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post

He actually worked shifts on both Saturday and Sunday and he was pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Tim Lane knows his stuff...BT's mildly entertaining...and Commetti has his moments, but Gerard Waitley on ABC Grandstand deserves much more kudos than he receives.

Professional, articulate, extremely well informed, with a penchant for the dramatic when it's required. Shites all over the boofheaded cliche machines who can't construct a sentence but nonetheless dominate TV and radio.

Brayshaw, Lyon, Maher, Brereton, Schwarz, Blight, the list is endless...you watch/listen to games in spite of those tedious, self-serving dolts.

While I'm at it, Christie Malthouse and Sam Lane do good work too.
    Queue for the Gerard Whately fanclub starts behind me. He's the best going around at the moment by a fair way.

Love Cometti but his year wasn't his finest. Seemed to be trying too hard and was sometimes inaccurate, which I don't remember him being before. Don't mind BT either but the MMM boys club thing can get a bit much real quick. Got a soft spot for Anthony Hudson too, he's the best on 10.

Can't stand Michael Christian or David Schwarz. Ricky Olarenshaw had a bad first year too, looking like the world's most out of place boundary rider.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He actually worked shifts on both Saturday and Sunday and he was pretty good.
    Yes, he worked both Saturday and Sunday this week, but I think going forward, he is only working Sunday.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post

Great bloke, very down to earth and entertaining. Absolutely kills it at the Selectors Table functions.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand Liam Pickering and his snickering
    The SEN boys can lay the boots in on occasions , the OX and Francis.
    and I agree on Grant Thomas, he is so against other teams except the Saints so shouldn't even be asked to comment.
    I don't actually mind Gary Lyon that much and love Denis Cometti although he wasn't as sharp this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I am biased. I enjoy listening to Gerard Whately. He's very professional in his calls and has just the right amount of enthusiasm to even make the dullest match sound interesting. Besides that, he's a really nice guy.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chicago1, Will you still be doing your little stints on the radio next season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    Hey Chicago1, Will you still be doing your little stints on the radio next season?
    Probably not. I'm the only one who appeared on every show the past two years and got absolutely no compensation, NONE. I didn't even get a thank you e-mail.

I guess I can tell the story now. I'm friends with an Aussie in Texas who does segments on various radio shows in Australia about living in the states. She used to do a weekly segment on Ernie's program. She now freelances and in fact is sponsored every week on a Perth radio program. I asked her in the beginning of the year if I was unreasonable to ask for some compensation. I usually spend a few hours every week on reading footy stuff online and I print off about 15 sheets of stuff for the show each week, besides writing notes for my comments. Being away from all of the action I need to keep in touch that way if my tips would have any believability.

The friend in Texas told me she gets $100 for every segment she does on air. Wow, I had no idea. She said she thought I should be given some compensation for my segment. Coupled with the fact that I stay up every Friday morning until after 3am(sometimes it was very inconvenient), I thought maybe Lindy could swing something for me. I was hoping the ABC would pay for a trip or at least part of my fare to Melbourne for the Finals. Nope. The ABC didn't have any money for that. She mentioned that maybe the AFL might be able to sponsor a trip and she'd look into it, but she never got back to me. As much as doing the show was mostly fun, I really feel like I was taken advantage of. Even getting $20 for each segment would have been appreciated. $20 X 27 shows would have paid for half my trip from LAX. I even had a free rewards trip I was ready to use from Chicago to LAX. Last year at the end of the season I sent the other members of the team Chicago Cubs baseball caps which cost me about $100 overall to buy and send. I never even received a thank you for that.

I guess some may think I'm ungrateful for getting the chance to do something like that for two years and expect something more in return. However, it really became a grind this past year. At least some of my Aussie mates from a website here in the states used to listen in once in a while and I had some of my former students e-mail me which was really great.

The best part about doing the show this year was tipping Richmond to lose EVERY BLOODY WEEK! Maybe that's a reasonable compensation!
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I'm a tradionalist & like to know what's happening, so much prefer the ABC.
    The only one I really listen to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago1 View Post
    I guess some may think I'm ungrateful for getting the chance to do something like that for two years and expect something more in return. However, it really became a grind this past year. At least some of my Aussie mates from a website here in the states used to listen in once in a while and I had some of my former students e-mail me which was really great.
    Not at all, they should have given you something - especially after you put so much time into it. They could have at least showed some appreciation for the work you did. How dare they treat this esteemed teacher who once taught at my old High School so many moons ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago1 View Post
    Probably not. I'm the only one who appeared on every show the past two years and got absolutely no compensation, NONE. I didn't even get a thank you e-mail.

I guess I can tell the story now. I'm friends with an Aussie in Texas who does segments on various radio shows in Australia about living in the states. She used to do a weekly segment on Ernie's program. She now freelances and in fact is sponsored every week on a Perth radio program. I asked her in the beginning of the year if I was unreasonable to ask for some compensation. I usually spend a few hours every week on reading footy stuff online and I print off about 15 sheets of stuff for the show each week, besides writing notes for my comments. Being away from all of the action I need to keep in touch that way if my tips would have any believability.

The friend in Texas told me she gets $100 for every segment she does on air. Wow, I had no idea. She said she thought I should be given some compensation for my segment. Coupled with the fact that I stay up every Friday morning until after 3am(sometimes it was very inconvenient), I thought maybe Lindy could swing something for me. I was hoping the ABC would pay for a trip or at least part of my fare to Melbourne for the Finals. Nope. The ABC didn't have any money for that. She mentioned that maybe the AFL might be able to sponsor a trip and she'd look into it, but she never got back to me. As much as doing the show was mostly fun, I really feel like I was taken advantage of. Even getting $20 for each segment would have been appreciated. $20 X 27 shows would have paid for half my trip from LAX. I even had a free rewards trip I was ready to use from Chicago to LAX. Last year at the end of the season I sent the other members of the team Chicago Cubs baseball caps which cost me about $100 overall to buy and send. I never even received a thank you for that.

The best part about doing the show this year was tipping Richmond to lose EVERY BLOODY WEEK! Maybe that's a reasonable compensation!
    Mind if I ask which show you were doing this work for Chicargo?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogs_r_barking View Post
    Mind if I ask which show you were doing this work for Chicargo?
    774ABC Melbourne's Lindy Burns' Drive show. The footy segment was on at about 5.45pm every Friday afternoon with Lindy, Gerard Whately, Alan Attwood and myself.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Heard Bruce MaCaveny say he is almost 60 years old, boy didn't realise that. I know plenty of people don't like him, but I don't mind his voice, although he does say some ridiculous things sometimes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.