Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  128
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Now they're talking about decathlons. Anything they possibly can to avoid talking about the game.

Name me a sport as quick as Australian Rules where the commentators talk about that shit.
    Bruce managed to say Collingwood like to go backwards, sidewards and then thrust.... like now...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Bruce managed to say Collingwood like to go backwards, sidewards and then thrust.... like now...
    That's normal and we're bonkers mate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool to hear Jobe “Feminist” Watson gush over De Goey’s return from his “hiccup” (so described by Bruce). Great to see Seven stick to their brand of being as offensive and vanilla as possible at the same time.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Cool to hear Jobe “Feminist” Watson gush over De Goey’s return from his “hiccup” (so described by Bruce). Great to see Seven stick to their brand of being as offensive and vanilla as possible at the same time.
    What do we expect from a commentary crew that spends half it's nights gushing over Carey.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now they're talking about decathlons. Anything they possibly can to avoid talking about the game.

Name me a sport as quick as Australian Rules where the commentators talk about that shit.
    It's infuriating.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think Soup posted that in another thread from last week, definitely belongs here.

The broadcast needs a massive shake up from the jingoistic and simplistic rubbish we get now, and I really hope the AFL aside from dollars actually looks for real innovation, not mega wall bullshit innovation, to shift the dial on the TV product to make it more sophisticated.

When the virus hit and assistant coaches and club folks were stood down for this year and in many cases likely for next and beyond, I figured it would be a great opportunity to bring some of these people into the broadcast space. They'd probably do work for free to maintain a profile in some cases, and the product would be much better for it.

But no, we get shots of fans at home, another segment on Danger lusting after a premiership and in jokes amongst ex players fawned at by sycophantic perverts like Bruce and Hame.

Having been away and not exposed to AFL commentary to any large extent last year, and only catching a Dogs game each week, sometimes without sound, I can assure what we experience on FTA with Taylor and Bruce is definitely *!*!*!*!ing weird. A year away is all it takes to realise it. Think about it in terms of how ridiculous some of the overzealous soccer commentary sounded from some South American nations in the nineties. It's that bad or worse.

Danger danger danger danger danger danger, Butler, danger danger danger danger danger, Butler Butler. Seriously, I mean that isn't valuable on an informative or entertainment level. It's just shouting, it happens every week, and it's pathetic.
    I'm glad you mentioned soccer. What's wrong with the model they use. Call the player's who is controlling the ball name out, no histrionics, no hyperbole and the special comments guy actually only speaks when there is something worth mentioning. Treat the viewing public with a bit of respect. Let the game be the star.

I didn't watch the game tonight because I didn't want to hear the crap from the commentary box.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was outside for a moment when he was interviewed, but knew it was completely off. Why would they even bother with it....I know, because being an alleged sex offender is par for the course in the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned soccer. What's wrong with the model they use. Call the player's who is controlling the ball name out, no histrionics, no hyperbole and the special comments guy actually only speaks when there is something worth mentioning. Treat the viewing public with a bit of respect. Let the game be the star.

I didn't watch the game tonight because I didn't want to hear the crap from the commentary box.
    Soccer commentary is excellent. I can understand the deviation away from what's happening directly on screen in golf and cricket for instance, because it takes a long time for things to happen in those sports. But Aussie rules shouldn't need that, as soon as there is a break in the play bang, hit us up with something meaningful and get back to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's infuriating.
    It's just so bloody strange. There's too much happening on the field to ignore but they do it over and over again.

Post Thanks / Like

Some women on twitter are appalled by these comments - I don't blame them
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce has apologized and acknowledged his error. I don't think he meant to minimise the seriousness of the charge in front of De Goey

Post Thanks / Like

The infuriating part is that due to no competition the ratings are always good, so they can just point to the numbers and say 'see, the audience likes what we're doing'.

In reality, you could pipe in monkey sounds from the orangutan enclosure at the Melbourne Zoo and it'd be just as enjoyable and no less insightful than the **** they serve up on CH7.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a way or marrying a radio broadcast to the telly without the delay?

I watched last night's game on mute but can't do that tonight.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Is there a way or marrying a radio broadcast to the telly without the delay?

I watched last night's game on mute but can't do that tonight.
    I wish that could be easily done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I wish that could be easily done
    I do it GVGjr, usually when I'm casting the game or watching on Foxtel I pause the video until the radio feed catches up. You can get them all through the AFL app. I think it's listen live. But as you say can be a bit tricky if you haven't the tech skills and can stand the mucking about! Anything to avoid BT for me.