Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  128
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I do it GVGjr, usually when I'm casting the game or watching on Foxtel I pause the video until the radio feed catches up. You can get them all through the AFL app. I think it's listen live. But as you say can be a bit tricky if you haven't the tech skills and can stand the mucking about! Anything to avoid BT for me.
    I still don't get how you do this? The TV broadcast is behind the radio. The radio is live, as it happens. Unless you are saying the AFL app is behind.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I still don't get how you do this? The TV broadcast is behind the radio. The radio is live, as it happens. Unless you are saying the AFL app is behind.
    Yes sorry the AFL app presents a choice for multiple radio feeds (abc, 3aw, mmm etc) in a digital format / stream so there is some encoding time required plus also any latency from your network. So its behind "live" depending on a few factors.
    So basically I have the TV with the game either streamed from FOXTEL GO/Kayo (phone or tablet) and also the AFL app with the audio through listen live and you manually synch the two. Generally they aren't far off each other, however video and audio together takes longer to encode/decode so most cases will be behind. So I have the vision on the TV and the audio through the iPAD (afl app). Its not perfect but it beats 7.
    Is that clear as mud ? I could try and make a little tech guide if that helps during tonight's game.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sorry the AFL app presents a choice for multiple radio feeds (abc, 3aw, mmm etc) in a digital format / stream so there is some encoding time required plus also any latency from your network. So its behind "live" depending on a few factors.
    So basically I have the TV with the game either streamed from FOXTEL GO/Kayo (phone or tablet) and also the AFL app with the audio through listen live and you manually synch the two. Generally they aren't far off each other, however video and audio together takes longer to encode/decode so most cases will be behind. So I have the vision on the TV and the audio through the iPAD (afl app). Its not perfect but it beats 7.
    Is that clear as mud ? I could try and make a little tech guide if that helps during tonight's game.
    Thanks for explaining. I thought it would be something like that with the AFL App behind live play.

Isn't it appalling that we have to do this because the commentary is so woeful.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Grantysghost, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bruce has apologized and acknowledged his error. I don't think he meant to minimise the seriousness of the charge in front of De Goey
    The 'hiccup' comment was not an isolated incident. The whole commentary team spent the night talking about how great it was to see him back and never once mentioned exactly why he was gone in the first place. It was totally crook and that piss weak "apology" (which you can actually hear in his stupid voice) is not enough to address it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce and his big club and big player bias is sickening. I'm not looking forward to tonight. I'm considering mute.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The 'hiccup' comment was not an isolated incident. The whole commentary team spent the night talking about how great it was to see him back and never once mentioned exactly why he was gone in the first place. It was totally crook and that piss weak "apology" (which you can actually hear in his stupid voice) is not enough to address it.
    Can you imagine the conversation at ch7?

"Hey guys, what do you reckon, should we focus on the alleged sex offender?"

"Yes".
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

"Yes".
    "Not in the way you mean of course"
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Yes".
    "You mean Duck?"

"Don't be silly, he's just a domestic abuser"
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it GVGjr, usually when I'm casting the game or watching on Foxtel I pause the video until the radio feed catches up. You can get them all through the AFL app. I think it's listen live. But as you say can be a bit tricky if you haven't the tech skills and can stand the mucking about! Anything to avoid BT for me.
    I'll have to update my Foxtel box, still got the original
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    "You mean Duck?"

"Yeah well, there was that one time he grabbed a woman's breast and apparently asked her why she didn't get bigger tits".

"But that was 1997, he's come a long way since".

I think we get the point right? Ch7 has a problem, it needs to be fixed. The AFL has a problem, it needs to be fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Now they're talking about decathlons. Anything they possibly can to avoid talking about the game.

Name me a sport as quick as Australian Rules where the commentators talk about that shit.
    Athletics?

Jks. Bruce has gone on one season too long. When you gush over the players as much as he does, it starts to become about how much he loves certain players rather than the players themselves.

Fan surveys tend to put Anthony Hudson at the top of the bunch, and it's not hard to see why. He makes football commentary all about the football which is by and large what fans want. He'll even cut off other commentators to steer commentary back to the play.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes jeemak, hujsh, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    "You mean Duck?"

C;mon, who hasn't glassed a woman then assaulted police on a night out?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Athletics?
    That actually made me belly laugh.

It's true on every level.

Post Thanks / Like

"Yeah well, there was that one time he grabbed a woman's breast and apparently asked her why she didn't get bigger tits".

"But that was 1997, he's come a long way since".

I think we get the point right? Ch7 has a problem, it needs to be fixed. The AFL has a problem, it needs to be fixed.
    It's a footy thing.

Billy Brownless was at the Geelong Hotel one night in the early 90s and said to my girlfriend at the time 'you look hot pity you've got a big arse'.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reposting that article, TD, I was looking for it this week but couldn't find it.

This makes me feel much better for still struggling to follow the game even after ten years, mostly watching from home. I learn so much more from WOOF than I have ever learned from the commentators (nothing) and I didn't understand the game at all until I started attending matches -- it's literally impossible to work out what's going on from the TV if you don't already have an understanding of the game. The frustrating thing is that it would be relatively easy to fix, or at least to improve.

The fawning, sycophancy and downright creepiness of the commentary is another whole issue.