Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

It was raining quite heavy towards end of 3rd
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is it wet? I've had the sound off and certainly couldn't tell from the vision...……..
    I hold you personally responsible for the weather radar coming out...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    It was raining quite heavy towards end of 3rd
    I know mate, the commentators kept going on about it and it was bloody obvious just from the vision.

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I hold you personally responsible for the weather radar coming out...
    BT just admitted he didn't understand the difference between north and south because he was from Victoria.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know mate, the commentators kept going on about it and it was bloody obvious just from the vision.

BT just admitted he didn't understand the difference between north and south because he was from Victoria.
    But Darcy is adamant BT lives on a farm therefore should know. Just more inside jokes that no one cares about except the moron commentary team.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine if Naughton got the Oscar Allen beneficial treatment. *!*!*!*! me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Which he isn't. He lives in Victoria now (and probably has for 30 years) but he grew up in WA.

Imagine if Naughton got the Oscar Allen beneficial treatment. *!*!*!*! me.
    He'd kick 100+ points a year!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Few areas of the ‘game’, even goal kicking, have deteriorated more over the years than the quality of the call via the TV medium.

If it’s not bad enough having to endure these damn awful calls live, it’s a travesty that the capture of great moments in the game will be forever tainted by embedded sycophantic, inane and outdated commentary.

If I was in charge of the AFL, I would be demanding a far greater standard from their media partners.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of camerawork - especially Channel 7 appalling. Also gripes me how many times they show player being injured ad nauseam. And the way they linger on coaches faces for longer than is polite and also injured players on sidelines instead of the play is downright dumb.

Often play games on mute - especially if Macavaney commentating. Seems like a nice enough bloke but too sycophantic for me.
    Last edited by josie; 12-09-2020 at 03:03 PM.

11. Likes bornadog, Twodogs, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a blog that you may find interesting on the Channel 7 commentary team. It's more picking on the commentators and how blokey they are

Link

Channels 7s gameday commentary is a source of constant ridicule and criticism, particularly the performance of one Brian Taylor…..

During the game between West Coast and Carlton, it was observed by many on Twitter that Daisy Pearce in particular was being ignored by Taylor, and that the commentary was worse than ever

With that in mind, we decided to keep a diary for the commentary on certain games, as a test tracker to see if the criticism was valid

The game today is the match between the Western Bulldogs and Geelong

Commentary team – Brian Taylor, Bruce Mcavaney, Wayne Carey, Daisy Pearce and Luke Hodge (at the ground)

Commentary taken from Foxtel replay, so excludes h/t and pre game – clock times are on “countdown” times from the broadcast.

1st Quarter

16:00 Brian Taylor opens the commentary, noting the contest between Stanley and English as the ball is bounced

Taylor also calls a kick from Bontempelli “a beautiful stroke”

15:43 Someone in the crowd yells “THEY CAN HEAR EVERYTHING WE SAY!” and Taylor mentions it

15:31 Taylor begins a sequence on Guthrie and ropes in “Duck” to discuss Menegola, Guthrie and Hawkins playing every game and they’ve all had good years

Careys first contribution to the broadcast is a quiet non committal “yep, all in good form”

15:26 Bruce joins the broadcast, referencing some of Daisys pre game comments about the Bulldogs

14:58 Dunkley lines up for a set shot

Carey chips in a couple of vagaries about Caleb Daniel being a “good user of the footy” and the Dogs want the ball in his hands

14:48

Goal to Dunkley

Bruce says someone nailing a set shot early “sets up the scenario for the evening”

Taylor ignores him to talk about other matters

Carey notes the Dogs went backwards to go forwards to get space, and trails off on a thought about inherited flaws from his Dad with his kicking action to say “I’m prepared to say he’s a better kick than his Dad”

14:45 After a recalled bounce, Daisy chips in with a thought about Geelong being aware of Caleb Daniel and planning for him pre game

Taylor completely ignores her to mutter about “Dangerfield, with his socks pulled up really high”

14:02 Bruce notes Geelong have started cold

Taylor says “yep, funny old start” and the conversation ends there

13:58 Taylor says the game has “a strange start, a lot of quietness about it” without context

13:44

Goal to Crozier

Carey notes it’s a similar build up to the first goal, and Daisy chips in the Dogs went backwards to go forwards and wonders if its a plan by the Dogs

Daisy repeats her thoughts for the network audience (expanding on it as a tactic) and Carey joins in to note both goals were set up by Dogs half flankers pushing up the ground

12:14 Mark to Bontempelli

Carey tracks back to critique a lazy handball by Bruce and then mentions to Daisy about how Bontempelli was looking to give it off after his mark

Carey is more than happy to engage with Daisy and her thoughts, and sounds more energised than the last commentary

11:36

Goal to Bontempelli

Bruce mentions Geelong have to play catch up footy, no one replies

Taylor throws to an extended package on Luke Beveridges birthday party with the players

Bruce mentions it was lucky that Beveridge wasn’t about to tear strips off the players and then straightens up and gets back to calling the game

11:11 Mark inside 50 to Naughton

Luke Hodge chips in for the first time to mention the Dogs are kicking at 100% efficiency to Geelongs 29%

No one replies

10:42 Carey chips in to observe Naughton is moving up and down the ground to run the older Harry Taylor around

Brian Taylor ignores this and moves on

10:12 Taylor chips in out of nowhere the Dogs are 4-2 at Metricon this season

Bruce moves on with the commentary

9:15 Mark inside 50 to Liberatore

Carey mentions the match up of Henderson on Naughton and wonders if the match up has changed, and points out how Wallis blocks out Taylor from getting to the contest

8:52

Goal to Liberatore

Daisy mentions Geelongs poor kicking means they can’t control the game, and have made several costly turnovers

Hodge points out Taylor can’t go over the top because of the block from Wallis, and mentions Daisy was “right” about the poor Geelong kicking

Bruce finalises with a thought of Geelongs defence giving up goals

8:49 Bruce throws to “Hodgey” to discuss Geelong being cold

Hodge praises the intensity of the Bulldogs instead

8:12 Bruce mentions to “BT” if the Dogs kick one more goal he’s hitching his wagon to the Dogs

Taylor more or less ignores him to give inside 50 stats then calls Tom Stewart “Enright” and says Enright is using the ball well

I feel like this is some kind of marker for the commentary this year…..

7:48 Miers and Tuohy have some confusion inside 50

Taylor starts to wonder if Miers should have gone for it, Carey mentions he looked confused

Daisy chips in to point out confusion in communication between Miers and Tuohy then engages Carey to discuss what happens as a forward when someone is in your space

Carey engages in return and discusses the play

7:37 After a behind Carey says to Taylor “no excuses you can’t hear the voice with the small crowd BT”

Taylor simply responds “yep”

7:28 Hodge chips in to note Dangerfield has had one possession and the Cats are missing Selwoods hard edge around the stoppages

Bruce concludes “good call Hodgey”

6:57 Hodge chips in to mention Vandermeer has left the ground injured and after a beat that he’s gone down into the rooms

Taylor concludes with “thanks Hodgey”

6:27 Taylor concludes a thought about Hayes and Dickson playing their first game for the year by saying “the Western Bulldogs have only had the one debutant this year”

They’ve had 5

As an added bonus they then cut to one of those 5, Vandermeer, in the rooms

Everyone just moves on

5:42 Carey re-iterates some of Daisys early themes on the Dogs going backwards and trying to isolate the Geelong defenders one on one

Taylor ignores this

5:30 Daisy expands on these thoughts by mentioning it also stems from Geelongs turnovers, which don’t let the Cats defence get set

Taylor also ignores this

4:32 Dangerfield hits Hawkins lace out with a pass

Hodge praises the kick and how hard it is to defend

Taylor also ignores this, meaning he’s ignored his 3 special commentators inside a minute

4:10 After Hawkins misses, Carey doubles back to praise the kick of Dangerfield, with Daisy chipping in about how Dangerfield made the kick at full speed

3:40 After a Menegola spoil, Daisy points out the wingmans role in pushing back to help the defence, and mentions how the Geelong defence was caught too high up the ground by a Bulldogs handball

Bruce joins in to mention that you don’t see such transitions against the Cats all that often

3:30

Goal to Richards

Bruce mentions Daisy “pressed that record of yours, handball back, handball back”

Daisy says she’s not sure if the Dogs have done it as a plan or if its because the pressure from the Cats hasn’t been there and that’s given the Dogs opportunity to do it

Carey repeats more or less what Daisy has just said, noting the lack of Cats pressure

They cut to the Toyota Fanzone and Taylor says “Is that Scott West bottom Left! I think it is!”

Carey nudges him that Scott West was actually middle right and has a good laugh as Taylor moves on muttering “he was there somewhere”

1:04 Mark inside 50 to McLean

Hodge joins to mention the Bulldogs have taken 6 marks inside 50 when the Cats only give up 5 per game

0:30 Goal to McLean

Bruce laughs with Carey and Daisy if anyone wants to change their tip

Bruce says “2016 anyone?” and “Mmmm…..right now…mmmm” in an insightful moment

Taylor mentions the vagary “the Dogs best football is good enough”

Daisy mentions the stat that the Cats have already conceded 25 points from turnovers when they concede 28 per game on average

Taylor completely ignores her to say “6 goals behind is a longgggggggggg way back”

0:00 Quarter concludes with Taylor saying the Dogs are “slick, and fast, and ready to play!”

The broadcast tonight seems to be more about the other 4 trying to discuss the game and Taylor being left behind

Daisy is tonights main special comments person

Taylor still hasn’t spoken to Daisy, making it 9 straight quarters

READ THE REST IN THE LINK - but you can see how it highlights how bad they are
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the effort BAD but hearing it once was bad enough.

Daisy tries but is as much of a company person as Ling, Watson or any of the other white noise they bring in for “special comments”.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Appreciate the effort BAD but hearing it once was bad enough.

Daisy tries but is as much of a company person as Ling, Watson or any of the other white noise they bring in for “special comments”.
    Just illustrates how pathetic they all are
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting reading it back. I wonder if the powers that be ever read the comments/commentary like that? The mentions of us only having 1 debutant when we've actually had 5 and one of them is onscreen, well I don't know about anyone else, but if I was as bad at my job as these guys are at theirs then I'd be a danger to people and I'd almost definitely be shown the door.

Having said that I am currently watching C7 and they've just advertised the Full Monty for the 15th time in the last half hour and finished the news off with a hot mic moment where the newsreader said "gahhhh" as the bulletin finished. So amateurish efforts are a network wide phenomenon.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou BAD. Jeez it's painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Here is a blog that you may find interesting on the Channel 7 commentary team. It's more picking on the commentators and how blokey they are

Link

Channels 7s gameday commentary is a source of constant ridicule and criticism, particularly the performance of one Brian Taylor…..

During the game between West Coast and Carlton, it was observed by many on Twitter that Daisy Pearce in particular was being ignored by Taylor, and that the commentary was worse than ever

With that in mind, we decided to keep a diary for the commentary on certain games, as a test tracker to see if the criticism was valid

The game today is the match between the Western Bulldogs and Geelong

Commentary team – Brian Taylor, Bruce Mcavaney, Wayne Carey, Daisy Pearce and Luke Hodge (at the ground)

Commentary taken from Foxtel replay, so excludes h/t and pre game – clock times are on “countdown” times from the broadcast.

1st Quarter

16:00 Brian Taylor opens the commentary, noting the contest between Stanley and English as the ball is bounced

Taylor also calls a kick from Bontempelli “a beautiful stroke”

15:43 Someone in the crowd yells “THEY CAN HEAR EVERYTHING WE SAY!” and Taylor mentions it

15:31 Taylor begins a sequence on Guthrie and ropes in “Duck” to discuss Menegola, Guthrie and Hawkins playing every game and they’ve all had good years

Careys first contribution to the broadcast is a quiet non committal “yep, all in good form”

15:26 Bruce joins the broadcast, referencing some of Daisys pre game comments about the Bulldogs

14:58 Dunkley lines up for a set shot

Carey chips in a couple of vagaries about Caleb Daniel being a “good user of the footy” and the Dogs want the ball in his hands

14:48

Goal to Dunkley

Bruce says someone nailing a set shot early “sets up the scenario for the evening”

Taylor ignores him to talk about other matters

Carey notes the Dogs went backwards to go forwards to get space, and trails off on a thought about inherited flaws from his Dad with his kicking action to say “I’m prepared to say he’s a better kick than his Dad”

14:45 After a recalled bounce, Daisy chips in with a thought about Geelong being aware of Caleb Daniel and planning for him pre game

Taylor completely ignores her to mutter about “Dangerfield, with his socks pulled up really high”

14:02 Bruce notes Geelong have started cold

Taylor says “yep, funny old start” and the conversation ends there

13:58 Taylor says the game has “a strange start, a lot of quietness about it” without context

13:44

Goal to Crozier

Carey notes it’s a similar build up to the first goal, and Daisy chips in the Dogs went backwards to go forwards and wonders if its a plan by the Dogs

Daisy repeats her thoughts for the network audience (expanding on it as a tactic) and Carey joins in to note both goals were set up by Dogs half flankers pushing up the ground

12:14 Mark to Bontempelli

Carey tracks back to critique a lazy handball by Bruce and then mentions to Daisy about how Bontempelli was looking to give it off after his mark

Carey is more than happy to engage with Daisy and her thoughts, and sounds more energised than the last commentary

11:36

Goal to Bontempelli

Bruce mentions Geelong have to play catch up footy, no one replies

Taylor throws to an extended package on Luke Beveridges birthday party with the players

Bruce mentions it was lucky that Beveridge wasn’t about to tear strips off the players and then straightens up and gets back to calling the game

11:11 Mark inside 50 to Naughton

Luke Hodge chips in for the first time to mention the Dogs are kicking at 100% efficiency to Geelongs 29%

No one replies

10:42 Carey chips in to observe Naughton is moving up and down the ground to run the older Harry Taylor around

Brian Taylor ignores this and moves on

10:12 Taylor chips in out of nowhere the Dogs are 4-2 at Metricon this season

9:15 Mark inside 50 to Liberatore

Carey mentions the match up of Henderson on Naughton and wonders if the match up has changed, and points out how Wallis blocks out Taylor from getting to the contest

8:52

Goal to Liberatore

Daisy mentions Geelongs poor kicking means they can’t control the game, and have made several costly turnovers

Hodge points out Taylor can’t go over the top because of the block from Wallis, and mentions Daisy was “right” about the poor Geelong kicking

Bruce finalises with a thought of Geelongs defence giving up goals

8:49 Bruce throws to “Hodgey” to discuss Geelong being cold

Hodge praises the intensity of the Bulldogs instead

8:12 Bruce mentions to “BT” if the Dogs kick one more goal he’s hitching his wagon to the Dogs

Taylor more or less ignores him to give inside 50 stats then calls Tom Stewart “Enright” and says Enright is using the ball well

I feel like this is some kind of marker for the commentary this year…..

7:48 Miers and Tuohy have some confusion inside 50

Taylor starts to wonder if Miers should have gone for it, Carey mentions he looked confused

Daisy chips in to point out confusion in communication between Miers and Tuohy then engages Carey to discuss what happens as a forward when someone is in your space

Carey engages in return and discusses the play

7:37 After a behind Carey says to Taylor “no excuses you can’t hear the voice with the small crowd BT”

Taylor simply responds “yep”

7:28 Hodge chips in to note Dangerfield has had one possession and the Cats are missing Selwoods hard edge around the stoppages

Bruce concludes “good call Hodgey”

6:57 Hodge chips in to mention Vandermeer has left the ground injured and after a beat that he’s gone down into the rooms

Taylor concludes with “thanks Hodgey”

6:27 Taylor concludes a thought about Hayes and Dickson playing their first game for the year by saying “the Western Bulldogs have only had the one debutant this year”

They’ve had 5

As an added bonus they then cut to one of those 5, Vandermeer, in the rooms

Everyone just moves on

5:42 Carey re-iterates some of Daisys early themes on the Dogs going backwards and trying to isolate the Geelong defenders one on one

Taylor ignores this

5:30 Daisy expands on these thoughts by mentioning it also stems from Geelongs turnovers, which don’t let the Cats defence get set

Taylor also ignores this

4:32 Dangerfield hits Hawkins lace out with a pass

Hodge praises the kick and how hard it is to defend

Taylor also ignores this, meaning he’s ignored his 3 special commentators inside a minute

4:10 After Hawkins misses, Carey doubles back to praise the kick of Dangerfield, with Daisy chipping in about how Dangerfield made the kick at full speed

3:40 After a Menegola spoil, Daisy points out the wingmans role in pushing back to help the defence, and mentions how the Geelong defence was caught too high up the ground by a Bulldogs handball

Bruce joins in to mention that you don’t see such transitions against the Cats all that often

3:30

Goal to Richards

Bruce mentions Daisy “pressed that record of yours, handball back, handball back”

Daisy says she’s not sure if the Dogs have done it as a plan or if its because the pressure from the Cats hasn’t been there and that’s given the Dogs opportunity to do it

Carey repeats more or less what Daisy has just said, noting the lack of Cats pressure

They cut to the Toyota Fanzone and Taylor says “Is that Scott West bottom Left! I think it is!”

Carey nudges him that Scott West was actually middle right and has a good laugh as Taylor moves on muttering “he was there somewhere”

1:04 Mark inside 50 to McLean

Hodge joins to mention the Bulldogs have taken 6 marks inside 50 when the Cats only give up 5 per game

0:30 Goal to McLean

Bruce laughs with Carey and Daisy if anyone wants to change their tip

Bruce says “2016 anyone?” and “Mmmm…..right now…mmmm” in an insightful moment

Taylor mentions the vagary “the Dogs best football is good enough”

Daisy mentions the stat that the Cats have already conceded 25 points from turnovers when they concede 28 per game on average

Taylor completely ignores her to say “6 goals behind is a longgggggggggg way back”

0:00 Quarter concludes with Taylor saying the Dogs are “slick, and fast, and ready to play!”

The broadcast tonight seems to be more about the other 4 trying to discuss the game and Taylor being left behind

Daisy is tonights main special comments person

Taylor still hasn’t spoken to Daisy, making it 9 straight quarters

READ THE REST IN THE LINK - but you can see how it highlights how bad they are

Post Thanks / Like

Ch 7 are desperately trying to get out of their Cricket Australia contract, which has another 5 years to run. They are bleeding money and their share price is currently a pitiful $0.06 a share. What a dream result it would be if they are forced to honour their cricket contract and they subsequently run out of money to compete for the AFL TV rights when they are next up. Those pricks simply do not deserve the honour of broadcasting the footy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoying James Brayshaw treating a debutant’s first game as an opportunity to roast his father at every opportunity. We get it, you’re his mate, who gives a sh*t.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

22. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post