Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  128
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Dermie was particularly poor in his assessment of Toby's injury. Blamed him for ducking.
    Yeah I thought that was bad.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Dermie was particularly poor in his assessment of Toby's injury. Blamed him for ducking.
    The epitome of what is wrong with football commentary.
    Last edited by jeemak; 14-09-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit Bruce was nowhere near at his worst for the Hawks /Dogs game. Someone must have got to him re the endless rhetorical questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I must admit Bruce was nowhere near at his worst for the Hawks /Dogs game. Someone must have got to him re the endless rhetorical questions.
    Now if he could remove that guttural excited commentary at the end of the passage of play he'd be getting back to his good years.

The best commentators make their commentary all about the players. BT/Brayshaw make it a blokey "what we think" show, Bruce makes it about how much he loves particular players.

Contrast that with Donegan or Hudson who make their commentary all about the play. They're generally considered two of the best.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I know he is a credentialed champion and reportedly great guy to boot, but holy smokes Wanganeen is an awkward commentator.

He reminds me of those t-shirts people that don’t follow sports wear that say stuff like: “what they need to do is sports better than the other team can sports to win the game”.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I know he is a credentialed champion and reportedly great guy to boot, but holy smokes Wanganeen is an awkward commentator.

He reminds me of those t-shirts people that don’t follow sports wear that say stuff like: “what they need to do is sports better than the other team can sports to win the game”.
    I don't know why they try to shoe horn former players into these ill suited broadcasting roles when there are clearly way more competent professionals out there twiddling their thumbs.

Adrian McAdam was the absolute worst in recent memory and mercifully, he only lasted a few weeks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

Yeah he feels very much like they pulled someone from the crowd.

Jobe Watson is also not very good, and showed it last night. Also did a weird big explanation at halftime about why the umpire should be bouncing the ball in the middle of the ruck circle and not off to the side which was worth commenting on I guess but I doubt the audience required the lecture on how the idea was for it to be fair for both rucks (I mean it's pretty self explantory).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yeah he feels very much like they pulled someone from the crowd.

Jobe Watson is also not very good, and showed it last night. Also did a weird big explanation at halftime about why the umpire should be bouncing the ball in the middle of the ruck circle and not off to the side which was worth commenting on I guess but I doubt the audience required the lecture on how the idea was for it to be fair for both rucks (I mean it's pretty self explanatory).
    I am not one for changing rules ( ), but we may as well get rid of the centre bounce.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jobe Watson-Essendon Privilege. When will Channel Sevens love affair with the drug cheats ever end. He struggles to speak coherently and is simply there because of his old man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I don't know why they try to shoe horn former players into these ill suited broadcasting roles when there are clearly way more competent professionals out there twiddling their thumbs.

Adrian McAdam was the absolute worst in recent memory and mercifully, he only lasted a few weeks.
    You mean Gilbert McAdam... he was so bad you forgot his name!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    You mean Gilbert McAdam... he was so bad you forgot his name!
    He'd still be a boundary rider if he wasn't charged with assaulting a woman.

https://www.zerohanger.com/former-af...assault-40994/
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Jobe Watson-Essendon Privilege. When will Channel Sevens love affair with the drug cheats ever end. He struggles to speak coherently and is simply there because of his old man.
    That may be completely true and accurate but he deserved to be on last night for his lockdown hair alone.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Who was the other boundary rider last night aside from Wanganeen?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Who was the other boundary rider last night aside from Wanganeen?
    Mark Soderstram?? Never heard of him... was he a former local SANFL player or something??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Mark Soderstram?? Never heard of him... was he a former local SANFL player or something??
    Yep, a SANFL player in the 90s, but a radio and tv presenter for a long time now I think.

17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post