Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  128
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    This is an old thread. Grybas was one of the best IMO. Miss him.

Don't care for many of them on the TV. Don't know who's there this year, don't care because I know what I'm getting. McAvaney I've never been able to take, Cometti just tries to hard to be funny and fails. Then Saturday night with Taylor and Richo all you get to hear about is ink and wanker hair do's.

ABC does me fine when it comes to radio. I actually want to hear what's happening at the game rather than listening to uneducated twits screaming over each other.

I don't mind the VFL commentary team. Donergan, Ryhs-Jones, Cleary and the other young guy who's name escapes me get the job done and do it well.
    Agree , Peter Donergan is very underrated, Dan Lonergan is also excellent( yes I know he's the ultimate doggie pessimist) I found Chris Connolly excellent last season and I hope the ABC keep him. I enjoy the ABC voverage

Post Thanks / Like

Cannot stand McAvaney. The dumb questions that he asks ( and no one answers), the incessant fawning over players... Eeeewww.

Dwayne Russell/ Michael Christian/Glen Jackovich are all as bad as each other.

Robbo I actually don't mind, seems like a straight up sort of character.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Cannot stand McAvaney. The dumb questions that he asks ( and no one answers), the incessant fawning over players... Eeeewww.

Dwayne Russell/ Michael Christian/Glen Jackovich are all as bad as each other.

Robbo I actually don't mind, seems like a straight up sort of character.
    It's not a gay thing either, with Bruce. That would be completely cool.

It's a niche psychosexual disorder that for some reason he has premission to display on prime time national television.

Post Thanks / Like

....agree with most on here......and hate to say it but Luke Darcy is unbearable.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard a lot of Darcy, though just because you admired him as a player it doesn't mean you have to like him as a commentator. Bulldog or not!

Some people have touched on the yammering that goes on with the TV guys, and the sensible descriptions of the ABC radio guys.

The TV guys need to quieten down and just let the game speak for itself. We can see it FFS.

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to say it. I like Lloyd as a commentator.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Hate to say it. I like Lloyd as a commentator.
    Hated him as a footballer. You know, I don't actually hate many things or players, but Lloyd was definitely in that column.

As a special comments person, I think he's pretty good, or about as good as it's going to get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I haven't heard a lot of Darcy, though just because you admired him as a player it doesn't mean you have to like him as a commentator. Bulldog or not!

Some people have touched on the yammering that goes on with the TV guys, and the sensible descriptions of the ABC radio guys.

The TV guys need to quieten down and just let the game speak for itself. We can see it FFS.
    I made a comment lat year when watching a game that it must be boring, as they were talking about one of their daughters birthday - during the game.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

There was only one football commentator ever of any note or worthiness of being on air:

REX HUNT.

A 24 cd set of his calling of games should be mandatory listening for students of English Literature who have ambitions to go on to study another great bard: Shakespeare.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    There was only one football commentator ever of any note or worthiness of being on air:

REX HUNT.

A 24 cd set of his calling of games should be mandatory listening for students of English Literature who have ambitions to go on to study another great bard: Shakespeare.
    Have you burnt a circuit board Footscray Robot?
    Hunt is the Kerry O'Keeffe of Aussie rules. All about him.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Classic Bruce just now, about Adelaide coming back (sans pants):

"They are starting to tighten the screw though, you feel like this game is really on"

Post Thanks / Like

REX HUNT.

Surely you CANNOT BE SERIOUS
    For a start you never know who has the ball where the ball is or what the hell is happening.
    Thank God he 's no longer on.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take the bait Remi! You'll be out of the water and lacking for oxygen before you know it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Don't take the bait Remi! You'll be out of the water and lacking for oxygen before you know it
    Phew! That's a relief

Post Thanks / Like

REX HUNT.

Nup. Not Shakesspeare, not Chaucer, not Mark Twain. Not even Dickens-maybe Dickhead.

Rex Hunt made commentry all about him and destroyed any game the listener tried to listen to. He failed in the three basic rules of calling football; Where is the ball? Who has the ball? What is the score? It was all inside jokes, nick names (who nobody except regular listeners knew the identity of) and all about Rex. If 3AW had the call of a Footscray game that I couldnt get to then I would listen to score updates, on other stations rather then Rex, at least you'd know what was going on rather than all the singing, whistling, name calling, and arguing that Rex came up with.

Easily the worst commentator of all time and that is why he is no longer on the air whilst the 'Tobin Brothers' (ABC radio with Whately, Lane, Russell, Lonergan et al) he used to take great delight in bagging have mostly all gone onto to better things.

The man knows his fishing though. I used to love his fishing show.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.