Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  128
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Commentators

We'll have to ask him . South Africans usually pronounce J (as in Johannesburg, Scarlett Johansen), Europeans Y.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of mistakes - I'm sure Eddie referred to Liam Picken as Liam Pickering at one point during the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Curly5 View Post
    Dwayne Russell seems to hold the Dogs in contempt, never has anything positive to say about us. And he needs to stop calling JJ, "Yohanissen".
    No he doesn't, that's the correct way to say it.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Speaking of mistakes - I'm sure Eddie referred to Liam Picken as Liam Pickering at one point during the game.
    Yes he did. No one pulled him up on it either because you can't correct Eddie.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Curly5 View Post
    We'll have to ask him . South Africans usually pronounce J (as in Johannesburg, Scarlett Johansen), Europeans Y.
    That settles it. I shall call him "Yason" or "YY"
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Lucille?

Post Thanks / Like

Watching the bombers game now. I can not understand how this Basil Knobjockey from ch. 7 is on air. I can't stand him. Worst in the business by far.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Watching the bombers game now. I can not understand how this Basil Knobjockey from ch. 7 is on air. I can't stand him. Worst in the business by far.
    Thought I must've inadvertantly selected 'Press Red for Timmy' for this week's bias call.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I have only heard Wayne Carey a couple of times on channel seven and have heard him interveiw BMAC over the weekend.

Is anyone else suprised at how good he is?

I really think seven has missed the boat in not having him or Cameron Ling as the main special comments men on the Friday night games.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I really think seven has missed the boat in not having him or Cameron Ling as the main special comments men on the Friday night games.
    Agree with you on Carey but not on Ling. He is pure vanilla as a special comments man - it must be a Geelong captaincy directive because Tom Harley is just as dull and uninspiring with his 'insights'.

Channel 7 should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. It shouldn't be rocket science to telecast the footy in HD and with commentators that actually do the job they are supposed to do for the viewers. It shouldn't be a mate's club where in-jokes and sprouted about while the match is being played. And special commentators should actually give proper insights into specific match-day tactics and scenarios, not just offer glib captain obvious responses that my anyone with half a brain can see. If there was a way I could de-tune the station from my TV I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what I like about Ling is he isn't afraid to disagree with Brain dead Taylor and the like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I must admit I have only heard Wayne Carey a couple of times on channel seven and have heard him interveiw BMAC over the weekend.

Is anyone else suprised at how good he is?

Short answer is no, I'm not surprised. For all his other faults Carey is articulate and has a fantastic of the game. When Footy Classified started he was the 4th panellist and I really enjoyed watching it. Then he git into more strife in his private life and was let go by 9.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Short answer is no, I'm not surprised. For all his other faults Carey is articulate and has a fantastic of the game. When Footy Classified started he was the 4th panellist and I really enjoyed watching it. Then he git into more strife in his private life and was let go by 9.
    I never saw him of footy classified. Hopefully he can hold his stuff together and continue to be heard more often and more regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if others suffered through the commentary of Melbourne/Collingwood yesterday.

An absolute Roos love fest. The whole coverage was dedicated to how much Melbourne have improved under Roos.
    Fair enough they were in the in the first half - but at some point they had to acknowledge that the Dees had 35 inside 50s, only 48 tackles (which I'm pretty sure is the same as what Libba had on Saturday), and three goals in dry conditions.

If that wasn't enough - on talking footy - Luke Darcy and Tim Watson declared Roos as the 'coach of the season' to half way. At least Carey looked at them like they're idiots.

The seven commentators just pick a theme and stick to it - regardless of what is actually happening on the ground.

Dare I say........wowee...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Not sure if others suffered through the commentary of Melbourne/Collingwood yesterday.

An absolute Roos love fest. The whole coverage was dedicated to how much Melbourne have improved under Roos.
    Fair enough they were in the in the first half - but at some point they had to acknowledge that the Dees had 35 inside 50s, only 48 tackles (which I'm pretty sure is the same as what Libba had on Saturday), and three goals in dry conditions.

If that wasn't enough - on talking footy - Luke Darcy and Tim Watson declared Roos as the 'coach of the season' to half way. At least Carey looked at them like they're idiots.

The seven commentators just pick a theme and stick to it - regardless of what is actually happening on the ground.

Dare I say........wowee...
    Taylor was in fine form yesterday. Declared that Crossy was not known for his overhead marking and at one stage mentioned that we were only in the early stages of the quarter when there was just seven minutes remaining.

My daughter describes Taylor's calling style perfectly......."he commentates as if small children are his audience".
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.