Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  65
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shane Biggs is a Bulldog

I can understand why Swines let Biggs go, when you consider they have such dynamic young flankers as Rhys Shaw and Heath Grundy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I can understand why Swines let Biggs go, when you consider they have such dynamic young flankers as Rhys Shaw and Heath Grundy.
    You can smell the hubris over 800km's away.

Post Thanks / Like

Big surprise that Sydney let him go.
    Gotta say the AFL created this situation by just throwing money Sydney's way, and the Sydney sporting type love their super heroes.
    Hence why Big Buddy made his way there.
    The tippet deal was really silly, as they've dumped a top ruck and got him in on to play the same role on double the wage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    The Tippet deal was really silly, as they've dumped a top ruck and got him in on to play the same role on double the wage
    Without the same output.. Strange move.

Anyway Biggs has been really impressive over the last month.. After his first game I thought we had a dud, but happy to eat those words.. Hopefully his improvement continues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    It's puzzling that they let him go isn't. Especially losing malcheski. Same goes for Hamling. Geelong let him go and they are also will be in need for a tall defender with their ancient backline.
    Kudos to our recruiter's!
    Geelong simply misjudged Hamlings ability to play sooner rather than later and due to the longevity of Taylor and Lonergan never actually asked questions of him to the contrary.

He was squeezed out because he was seen, out of all their young talls, as the longest term prospect. Good for us and good for Hamling that we were able to get him, especially when you consider what Geelong initially gave up for him and how promising he was as a junior.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Geelong simply misjudged Hamlings ability to play sooner rather than later and due to the longevity of Taylor and Lonergan never actually asked questions of him to the contrary.

He was squeezed out because he was seen, out of all their young talls, as the longest term prospect. Good for us and good for Hamling that we were able to get him, especially when you consider what Geelong initially gave up for him and how promising he was as a junior.
    Remarkable how quickly this bloke's become a vital member of our back six, after 7 games of footy no less.

Particularly admire his intelligence in the contest, seemingly little but influential things, smart positioning to play to his strengths, clever reads, spoils to advantage and awareness of who and what's around him. Love a brainy defender.

Back to Biggs...concur with others in that he looked an iffy prospect earlier this season, seemed to be battling even at VFL level.

Fast forward to August and he's yet another item off the production line that is our Footscray VFL nursery.

He's welcome to keep making a fool of me.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Geelong Hamling trade was also quite odd given they recruited the much older Jared Rivers to play a similar role.

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    The Geelong Hamling trade was also quite odd given they recruited the much older Jared Rivers to play a similar role.
    Agreed, although in 2012 Geelong finished one game outside of top 2 and I think there's little doubt that Chris Scott thought that a Premiership was still within reach with a little tweaking. With that in mind Rivers looked a better prospect at the start of 2013 than a slow burning Hamling.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, the planets really are aligning aren't they, it's almost scary how everything seems to be working out. Hamling and Biggs, just walk in to the club for nothing and play like seasoned veterans. They both seem to have such composure. Cool under fire. Always seem to make the right decisions. Rarely beaten in one on ones. Link up beautifully with the rest of the backline. Wow. Just wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agreed, although in 2012 Geelong finished one game outside of top 2 and I think there's little doubt that Chris Scott thought that a Premiership was still within reach with a little tweaking. With that in mind Rivers looked a better prospect at the start of 2013 than a slow burning Hamling.
    But not to play Hamling in 3 years is pathetic list management.. If you don't give them a taste how can you see if they can play at the next level?

14. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    But not to play Hamling in 3 years is pathetic list management.. If you don't give them a taste how can you see if they can play at the next level?
    I agree,

Geelong (and Hamling) have said that he couldn't get a game because Lonergan and Taylor didn't miss during the time that Hamling was pushing. Surely they could have played Hamling as a third tall a few times during that era.

I'm pretty happy that we've played 36 or 37 players or whatever it is this season. Traditionally that would mean that you're struggling - but we've actually found out a lot about the list, and been prepared to play blokes in varied positions in order to make sure players are getting opportunities. I wouldn't be surprised if Pearce played this week, after being the carry-over last week. Nothing would surprise me this year!

Post Thanks / Like

Our selection committee must feel like a week is a really short time. It must be very difficult to pick our team every week.
    Watched the footage of Biggs playing for Sydney and liked what I saw. With JJ and Murphy it's fun to watch our backline.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yep, even Mulligan got a few games for us in 2011 to see if he was any good when we (belatedly) went into rebuild mode. Likewise, Ayce got a solid run of games in a row this year - got to give the player a chance to show their wares at senior level before putting a line through them.

Biggs' first game with us looks like an aberration in his career to date. The few games he played for the Swans, he was very serviceable (in finals too no less), he excelled at VFL for us this year, and his return to the seniors has seen this form continue at the higher level. His debut for us against Melbourne now just looks like nerves and re-adjusting to the tempo of AFL level, which to be fair he hadn't played in for a couple of years.

Obviously his run and carry are standouts, but he also acquits himself well defensively in one-on-one contests and also runs hard to cover defensively for teammates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Geelong (and Hamling) have said that he couldn't get a game because Lonergan and Taylor didn't miss during the time that Hamling was pushing. Surely they could have played Hamling as a third tall a few times during that era.
    Mackie missed games though? A developing Hamling isn't too dissimilar.

the most comparable player on our list is Zaine Cordy - I'll bet anything that if fit he'll debut some time in 2015, 16 or 17.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Obviously his run and carry are standouts, but he also acquits himself well defensively in one-on-one contests and also runs hard to cover defensively for teammates.
    He does seem to cover taller players quite well, and is fairly brave in his disposal. Murph had no problem dishing off to him when he ran and rebounded.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers