Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  65
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shane Biggs is a Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Boy, the planets really are aligning aren't they, it's almost scary how everything seems to be working out. Hamling and Biggs, just walk in to the club for nothing and play like seasoned veterans. They both seem to have such composure. Cool under fire. Always seem to make the right decisions. Rarely beaten in one on ones. Link up beautifully with the rest of the backline. Wow. Just wow.
    It seems that both clubs let go of players in the season just when they were about to come into their own in the senior team. Gives one pause for thought before delisting players who may have got a bit of VFL experience under their belt but haven't been able to cement a spot in the senior team yet.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Has only played 15 games of AFL but played in two finals for the Swans.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Has only played 15 games of AFL but played in two finals for the Swans.
    Like Tim Callan, but better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Like Tim Callan, but better
    Needs to go to ground more. Timmy really needed to the boot studder to attach studs to the back of his Guernsey
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

5. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Biggs deal for the Western Bulldogs

A ROLL of the dice five years ago has paid off for Western Bulldogs' defender Shane Biggs, who has committed to the club for a further two years, extending his stay until at least the end of 2018.

Back in 2011, Biggs, now 24, was playing football for fun with Warrandyte and learning the plumbing trade before an invitation came to play VFL for the Bendigo Bombers.

"I had to make a decision whether I was going to take it [football] seriously or not," Biggs told AFL.com.au.

"I stopped my apprenticeship and just laboured three days a week so I could manage the training for three or four nights a week.

"It was a real roll of the dice."

Now at the Western Bulldogs after three years with the Sydney Swans, the running defender is making the punt yield dividends.

In the first two rounds, he has averaged 29 disposals, making a breakneck start to the season after becoming a permanent member of his new team in the second half of 2015.

It's the type of output the Bulldogs hoped for when they watched him ply his trade, often on cold Saturday mornings in Canberra, as a rookie with the Sydney Swans.

From 2012-2014 he played good football in the NEAFL, breaking through for six games (including two finals) in three years with the Swans.

It was enough for the Bulldogs to court him at the end of the 2014 season.

Although he had loved his time at the Swans, he knew as soon as he met the Bulldogs it was time for a change.

"For a club to show interest in me, and show interest in having me in their team, was enough to bring me back home," Biggs told AFL.com.au.

Right now, the Bulldogs-Biggs combination appears a good match. MORE HERE
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

How can we keep resigning talent with Tom Boyd stealing the other players money?

Great news.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good News again, keep them coming Jmacc

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What I like about Bevo:

"No one is a walk up start in this team, he's a lot more secure than he used to be," Beveridge said of Biggs on Tuesday.

11. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaving Declan Hamilton aside as he's too young to judge, Biggs alone is worth the Cooney trade.

Biggs & Hamilton - Cooney
    Daniel - Liam Jones
    Hamling - Tutt
    Webb - Disinterested Higgins
    Tom Boyd - Grphyon after he walked out already

I'd argue we have turned the disaster into a glorious success.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news.

2 years ago I didn't know how we were going to replace Murphy when he retired. We Now have JJ, Biggs, and Wood all in the scope to be All Australian half back flankers. An incredible turnaround.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Good news.

2 years ago I didn't know how we were going to replace Murphy when he retired. We Now have JJ, Biggs, and Wood all in the scope to be All Australian half back flankers. An incredible turnaround.
    Incredible turnaround for our defence is an understatement. Also, how were we replacing losing Lake, Morris when he retires and if Roughead failed as a defender? Were we sticking with Austins & Markovics? Now Adams is in the top 22 for AFL rankings, Collins looks a dead set beast, Hamling won best first year player and isn't playing. Leaving Zaine to slowly develop too.

We need to sign Macca and Dalrymple to long term contracts/extensions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Leaving Declan Hamilton aside as he's too young to judge, Biggs alone is worth the Cooney trade.

Biggs & Hamilton - Cooney
    Daniel - Liam Jones
    Hamling - Tutt
    Webb - Disinterested Higgins
    Tom Boyd - Grphyon after he walked out already

I'd argue we have turned the disaster into a glorious success.
    Did we get Caleb Daniel for Liam Jones? Ho-Ho... Sale of the Century.
    Biggs is a great Murphy understudy, light on body but agile, and tough.
    Having such a young bloke with finals experience is different. He's been in a good program, with their excellent culture. They seem like a very hard nosed club, and have their 'Bloods' mantra. Biggs has rubbed shoulders with Goodes, Hannebury, Kennedy, and a lot of excellent workers. A lot of respect for them.

"Few footballers are playing division-three suburban football aged 19, and AFL at 22."

''I didn't know Shane Biggs from a bar of soap, and he weighed about five stone wringing wet, but every time he got the ball he did something with it,''

Essendon had their chance!

"Robert White still hadn't met Biggs, but was soon sitting alongside him in a Windy Hill office. Dodoro said they'd keep an eye on him, then pointed to a pile of DVDs in envelopes and asked Biggs if he realised how many wannabes were out there."

"Before they had a chance to find out, the Swans rookie drafted him."
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

17. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very happy with this signing. We are a better team when he plays. He plays his role very well and his mistakes are getting less and less. After his first couple games he was a bit under whelming to say the least but the second half of last season his improvement was massive. He is one that will fly under the radar most weeks with his work around the ground and he hurts the opposition with work rate and endurance. Like Bevo said in a recent presser he is firmly slotting into the best 22 at present.

Again well one to the club and especially JMac for securing another important player to our team.

19. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good story.

Seems content on where he is placed and is developing into a very valuable member of the team.. Love how he gets the ball quickly to foot and takes risks with his kicking.. Sure he *!*!*!*!s a few up, but he opens up the field more often than not.. His ability to stay involved and run hard to create an option is also under valued.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan. Biggs is a goer. Hard at it, loves a goal, a real energizer.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."