Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Captain

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next Captain

Griffen is the most impressive leader at underage level I have ever seen. In two seasons, he will be the stand-out choice to take over from Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

Griffin for me. He was touted when Clayton picked him as being a natural leader. We haven't by a long shot seen the best of Griffin. He will undoubtedly be a gun player capable of turning games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Griffen is the most impressive leader at underage level I have ever seen. In two seasons, he will be the stand-out choice to take over from Johnson.
    In what way? In his ability to inspire his players through actions or words?

Palace03 Guest

Brian Haris I believe, has what it takes to be an excellent captain of this footy club. He is tough and courageous, he is rated by his teamates and coaching staff judging by him winning our B n F this year. Also he just does a few little things, like making the effort to get across to teamates and pat them on the backside, he is always talking out on the field, and isn't afraid to fly the flag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    In what way? In his ability to inspire his players through actions or words?
    From what I know, a combination. He was leader of the SA state side, and every junior coach he had all raved about his leadership qualities. IMO, he oozes the class and package that others like Voss, Buckley, Rucciuto, have.

A good leader needs to be able to lead with both actions and words, I feel Griff will be able to do both very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Griffin in 2 years. He will be as good as Voss and Buckley. Power grace speed skill, a genuine goalkicker, good overhead, tall for a midfielder, strong build, a knack for the unexpected and breathtaking evasive skills. Doesn't panic with the ball and kicks well even after a long run. VOTE 1 GRIFFEN.
    (Cooney still panics a little and kicks the ball too quickly. He would kick another 10 to 15 goals a year with two or three more steps when shooting for goal on the run.)
    I also think Murphy could still mature into the role.

Post Thanks / Like

Set up Johnno as the captain with three vice-captains underneath him. Cross, Boyd and Griffen. Let them fight out who Johnno's successor will be.

Griffen is the obvious on-field inspirational type leader, Cross sets the example with preparation off-field, courage and getting the best out of yourself, whilst Boyd typifies the example of reward following effort.

Both Cross and Boyd set an example on the training track that others should follow. Boydy's just back from his honeymoon in the USA where he trained every day. Would be the only bloke riding a bike up and down the hills of San Francisco to keep fit.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I'm certain of is I hate the multiple captains idea.
    3 vice captains is fine but one captain should stand alone IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

There has been alot of similar players names thrown up here ie: Cross and Griffen.

Not doubting there ability, but what about Giansiricusa? I know that he is in the leadsership group and have seen several articles hailing him as a good leader. I dont really see it on the field, but there must be something he is doing off the field to be considered a good leader.

Thoughts on Gia?

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason, Cooney suffers in comparison to Griffen when it comes to discussing leadership potential. I think Cooney has the potential to be every bit the future leader of our club, and I think it will sit comfortably with him as well.

Post Thanks / Like

This issue of who will captain and where the leadership is going to come from with this playing group is a really important one IMO

I figure the captain and leadership group should probably primarily come from the mix of 100 or almost 100 game players in Murphy, Hahn, Gilbee, Gia, Hargrave, Boyd, Cross, Harris, Cooney. Plus Griffen, Ray and Higgins.

I think we need to start a pretty comprehensive process developing these guys to lead the club now, if we haven't already.

At this stage I favour Boyd as my preferred candidate but I can see merit in Cross

And I see merit in both Griffen and Cooney as they have a confidence and swagger that definitely makes them leaders around the club - but I think they need to achieve a higher consistent level of individual performance before I would consider them.

wimberga - I know Gia is well respected internally but for my money he doesn't have enough of a consistent impact on games - he is capable of impacting a game physically by delivering hits (e.g Kosi) or tackling but too often doesn't impact the game in that way. Thats where he has to improve for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    There has been alot of similar players names thrown up here ie: Cross and Griffen.

Not doubting there ability, but what about Giansiricusa? I know that he is in the leadsership group and have seen several articles hailing him as a good leader. I dont really see it on the field, but there must be something he is doing off the field to be considered a good leader.

Thoughts on Gia?
    Not that it is the most important issue, but it would help if your captain also had the respect of supporters, particularly in these days where marketing your club to members is so important. Gia needs to have a consistent year on the field before he comes into the reckoning. Not sure the most inspirational player on your team is going to be a light bodied half forward flanker who struggles to impose himself on games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Why?

Because that is how it has always been? If so, that is a crap reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Didn't seem to hurt the Swans.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post

Thoughts on Gia?
    I've said it before - Gia should NEVER be captain.

I'd say Cross or Griff.

Whatever the result, it should be based on leadership and guts rather than football ability.
    For that reason I wouldn't be surprised or upset to see someone like Hahn or Harris step up.