Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next Captain

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next Captain

Quote Originally Posted by bc013 View Post
    I've said it before - Gia should NEVER be captain.

I'd say Cross or Griff.

Whatever the result, it should be based on leadership and guts rather than football ability.
    For that reason I wouldn't be surprised or upset to see someone like Hahn or Harris step up.
    There seems to be a perception that Gia is soft (apart from Kozi). This season we played the Kangaroos & Gia went back with the flight of the ball & got crunched by Archer. All the commentators were glowing in their praise of Archer & how courageous he was. That annoyed me as the person more courageous than Archer was Gia, who ran back with the flight of the ball, knew he was going to get crunched & didn't deviate.

When you listen to many of the players talk at functions it's amazing how many praise Gia's leadership around the place. I'm sure they're better placed to know than most of us.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bc013 View Post
    I've said it before - Gia should NEVER be captain.
    And that is fair enough, we are all entitled to an opinion. Friends of mine don't rate his as captain material either.

Myself, I don't mind Gia if he was to assume the captaincy at some stage - but I would probably opt for someone else first after Johnno gives in his crown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    There seems to be a perception that Gia is soft (apart from Kozi). This season we played the Kangaroos & Gia went back with the flight of the ball & got crunched by Archer. All the commentators were glowing in their praise of Archer & how courageous he was. That annoyed me as the person more courageous than Archer was Gia, who ran back with the flight of the ball, knew he was going to get crunched & didn't deviate.

When you listen to many of the players talk at functions it's amazing how many praise Gia's leadership around the place. I'm sure they're better placed to know than most of us.
    Gia played like a man possessed in that game against North, tackled, shepherded and threw his body into everything - And its precisely for this reason that I dont think he should be captain, because he just does not either do this regularly enough, or realise this is what he should be doing every week. He too often just floats about.

He is an average or below average athlete in the AFL - thats not a criticism, its just the reality of the situation, he just isn't explosively fast, so IMO he needs to play with a much harder edge - and we've seen he can do it on occassions

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion this is an overrated issue. A captain will jump forward when we need it. I like the fact that we have done a fair bit with the development of a good senior group.