Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

#SaintsFutureFest

Not sure if this has been mentioned in other places, but St Kilda has just wrapped up a great club initiative called the Saints Future Fest. A colleague of mine is a big saints fan, really cant wait to get Petracca through the door, and he made me aware of this.

Basically coming out of the back of the season, the Saints ran a campaign where each working day for like 3 weeks they would announce a different contract extension. So over the course of 3 weeks I think they had about 16 youngsters re-sign, ending with Jack Billings on the last day. As a saints fan, I know he was wrapped and it kept him tuning in to the website and interacting with the club each day.

Just thought I would bring it up as presumably not many people outside of the saints are aware of this, but I thought it was quite good from their club, and can imagine how I would be if we went through a period where over 2 weeks, we announced 10 contract extensions to youngsters from our club.

2. Likes GVGjr, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: #SaintsFutureFest

Excellent initiative by the Saints
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We've already extended the contracts of a lot of our youngsters through the middle of the year. Waiting until the end of the season is inviting them to compare offers with other clubs
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    We've already extended the contracts of a lot of our youngsters through the middle of the year. Waiting until the end of the season is inviting them to compare offers with other clubs
    In a way, that can be good: We compared offers from other clubs and want to stay a Saint. Sure, the money and opportunities are better at other clubs, but where else can you light a dwarf on fire? #SainterTilIDie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    Just thought I would bring it up as presumably not many people outside of the saints are aware of this, but I thought it was quite good from their club, and can imagine how I would be if we went through a period where over 2 weeks, we announced 10 contract extensions to youngsters from our club.
    I'd feel awesome about it, and much better than a saints fan would considering our kids can actually play.

I can't think of 6 legitimate St Kilda prospects, let alone 16. This is false hope engineering and a good way to tie yourself down and arrest your development.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Feel good deflection for some pain .
    All our kids are going to leave, just ask the media

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Waiting until the end of the season is inviting them to compare offers with other clubs
    Who says they signed the contracts at the end of the year? They could have just held back the announcements so they could use them for this.

And besides half the players would be Sam Darley types who would be playing for a contract right till the end of the year anyway.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I like our scheme much better, sign one Tom Boyd.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

10. Likes boydogs liked this post