Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brendan McCartney to Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Are you sure it does? The group isn't performing to their level so I think a change of approach and a different voice to work with Bevo is vital. We had issues with the alleged Party Boys and we have had a number of players since the flag that have failed to recapture their form. I think a fresh and firm voice could work well for us
    As I have stated before, I have no issues bringing in a fresh senior coach, but you used the words disciplinarian. That word conjures up a hard man. We don't need someone to crack the whip, we need an advisor to Bevo, a strategists with some fresh ideas.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this is a good sign and I may be reading the tea leaves wrong.. But I've got 'sources' telling me that after a stellar job last time, the Melbourne CEO has put in a call to Ben Graham to see if he's free tomorrow afternoon to drive BMac's car away from the club and the media scrum. You know it's over when Ben turns up and asks for your keys.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I don't know if this is a good sign and I may be reading the tea leaves wrong.. But I've got 'sources' telling me that after a stellar job last time, the Melbourne CEO has put in a call to Ben Graham to see if he's free tomorrow afternoon to drive BMac's car away from the club and the media scrum. You know it's over when Ben turns up and asks for your keys.
    Hah! B-Mac's 'bad news' chauffeur.

"I never thought we'd find ourselves doing this again Brendan"

"Just ****ing drive Ben, I'm not in the mood"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As I have stated before, I have no issues bringing in a fresh senior coach, but you used the words disciplinarian. That word conjures up a hard man. We don't need someone to crack the whip, we need an advisor to Bevo, a strategists with some fresh ideas.
    In my opinion if someone had have cracked the whip early in 2017 I don't think we would have endured two poor seasons after the flag. Strategy is something completely different and I still believe there is merit in getting someone in who offers a vast contrast to Bevo's approach with players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion if someone had have cracked the whip early in 2017 I don't think we would have endured two poor seasons after the flag. Strategy is something completely different and I still believe there is merit in getting someone in who offers a vast contrast to Bevo's approach with players.
    I disagree. What if we had cracked the whip and the players went the other way? You can't always assume that just because you get tough that people are going to fall into line. Especially if that's not your normal way, you can't fake toughness, the group would be right onto it and you would lose any respect that you already had.

Besides we'd just won the flag. The group would just think "We've just won a flag, WTF makes these guys happy? What's the point"

We needed to communicate what we wanted better and what standards were required.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I disagree. What if we had cracked the whip and the players went the other way? You can't always assume that just because you get tough that people are going to fall into line. Especially if that's not your normal way, you can't fake toughness, the group would be right onto it and you would lose any respect that you already had.

Besides we'd just won the flag. The group would just think "We've just won a flag, WTF makes these guys happy? What's the point"

We needed to communicate what we wanted better and what standards were required.
    It's needed to sort out the people who want to be there for the right reason. When talented players aren't performing, and we had to move on so many of them because of it, then it's clear to me that the warm and fuzzy approach we seemed to accept was a failure.
    If people wanted a gap year or two then it's time for them to move on. We got tough with one rookie and sent him packing but somehow we allowed others to slacken off. Being inconsistent with how you apply the standards is a blueprint for failure.

I'm always amazed that so many supporters have just meekly accepted the 2 bad years since the flag like there was nothing else that could have been done

9. Likes DOG GOD, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's needed to sort out the people who want to be there for the right reason. When talented players aren't performing, and we had to move on so many of them because of it, then it's clear to me that the warm and fuzzy approach we seemed to accept was a failure.
    If people wanted a gap year or two then it's time for them to move on. We got tough with one rookie and sent him packing but somehow we allowed others to slacken off. Being inconsistent with how you apply the standards is a blueprint for failure.

I'm always amazed that so many supporters have just meekly accepted the 2 bad years since the flag like there was nothing else that could have been done
    I'm not saying that we need to be warm and fuzzy, or to worry about putting noses out of joint. I'm saying that you cant fake that sort of attitude and if you do the players will just laugh at you. They aren't stupid and if you try to act in a manner that's not your normal manner the players will switch off.

If we need a disciplinarian then we are going to have to import one because none of the current coaching panel have it in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone needs to be held to account.

But let’s face it, players who partied and didn’t put in the effort (or that’s the story) were moved on.

Yelling at blokes won’t fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Everyone needs to be held to account.

But let’s face it, players who partied and didn’t put in the effort (or that’s the story) were moved on.

Yelling at blokes won’t fix it.
    Have you listened to the Rocket threat yet?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Some more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Some more information. Sounds like déjÃ* vu https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api....co/6orgwrFi6b

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm not saying that we need to be warm and fuzzy, or to worry about putting noses out of joint. I'm saying that you cant fake that sort of attitude and if you do the players will just laugh at you. They aren't stupid and if you try to act in a manner that's not your normal manner the players will switch off.

If we need a disciplinarian then we are going to have to import one because none of the current coaching panel have it in them.
    And that's exactly what I suggested and what you appear to have challenged

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Have you listened to the Rocket threat yet?
    Next stop: motivational speaker.

Wouldn’t mind having some of that audio as a ring tone.

Post Thanks / Like

I fully understand your frustrations. What was experienced was in keeping with the fallout following our ‘54 flag and ‘61 GF appearance. We have had a history of a similar trend over 60 years. At the end of the day it comes down to Leadership at Board and Management Level. Bevo is one cog in a big wheel. One of only two people to Coach us to a Premiership in 93 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I fully understand your frustrations. What was experienced was in keeping with the fallout following our ‘54 flag and ‘61 GF appearance. We have had a history of a similar trend over 60 years. At the end of the day it comes down to Leadership at Board and Management Level. Bevo is one cog in a big wheel. One of only two people to Coach us to a Premiership in 93 years
    Spot on! When you win 2 flags in 100 years, you would have had to have been Adolf Hitler to keep a lid on the place. It just was not going to happen. The fact its taken until 2019 years for people to get mildly p*ssed is not remarkable, but essentially a reflection of just how BIG a deal winning the flag in 2016 was. No kidding but for some fans it was the BIGGEST day of their lives!