Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brendan McCartney to Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Someone like Brett Montgomery, obviously that ship has sailed.

I wonder if Sam Mitchell could play the disciplinary role?
    Contracted for a couple more years elsewhere.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Contracted for a couple more years elsewhere.
    Mitchell doesn’t mind breaking contracts.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Pure speculation but I think we could use a disciplinarian in our coaching ranks. Not saying they have to be as tough as B-Mac but perhaps a contrast to what we have.
    A bad cop/good cop routine would work wonders for us I reckon.

Teaching players how to kick a footy properly would be better though.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    A bad cop/good cop routine would work wonders for us I reckon.

Teaching players how to kick a footy properly would be better though.
    Amen to that. I played some very mediocre senior footy into the triple digits of games, mostly at CHF/FF. I actually said to my wife at the game when Hunter was lining up, we should be just setting up for the point.
    There's no penetration in any of their set shots, McLean, Gowers, Hunter , Bont they don't seem to have any set routines or predominant pattern of misses . I used to miss to the left, I starting aiming for the inside of the right post. It worked. Is it fatigue with these guys? Maybe we should get the crowd from Braybrook or Brunswick to training to practise real sledging !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Amen to that. I played some very mediocre senior footy into the triple digits of games, mostly at CHF/FF. I actually said to my wife at the game when Hunter was lining up, we should be just setting up for the point.
    There's no penetration in any of their set shots, McLean, Gowers, Hunter , Bont they don't seem to have any set routines or predominant pattern of misses . I used to miss to the left, I starting aiming for the inside of the right post. It worked. Is it fatigue with these guys? Maybe we should get the crowd from Braybrook or Brunswick to training to practise real sledging !
    I used to watch them at training practicing their set shots. The routine would invariably be grab a few footys at the end of the session, stand on the 50 and let fly. Nobody on the mark, no fatiguing (you don't have shots in a game when you are fresh so get the players to run 50 to 100 metres at top pace and then line up and take a shot before they have a chance to recover) basically no replication of match conditions.

The only time in the last 5 or 6 years I have seen anyone actually try and teach players the correct technique was when Griffin took it upon himself to take a few players aside and give them a few tips on what not to do.

BTW were you a left or right footer? In golfing terms left footers tend to fade the ball left to right and right footers tend to draw the ball right to left. It's a natural occurrence and allowing for it can correct it.

Post Thanks / Like

Pure speculation but I think we could use a disciplinarian in our coaching ranks. Not saying they have to be as tough as B-Mac but perhaps a contrast to what we have.
    Why?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I used to watch them at training practicing their set shots. The routine would invariably be grab a few footys at the end of the session, stand on the 50 and let fly. Nobody on the mark, no fatiguing (you don't have shots in a game when you are fresh so get the players to run 50 to 100 metres at top pace and then line up and take a shot before they have a chance to recover) basically no replication of match conditions.

The only time in the last 5 or 6 years I have seen anyone actually try and teach players the correct technique was when Griffin took it upon himself to take a few players aside and give them a few tips on what not to do.

BTW were you a left or right footer? In golfing terms left footers tend to fade the ball left to right and right footers tend to draw the ball right to left. It's a natural occurrence and allowing for it can correct it.
    Right footer, had a slight hook but it used to fade back a bit also. But I practised enough to know thats what happened if I did everything else correctly.
    I'm not saying it worked every time but it gave me a grounding in routine and confidence when guys were saying nice things about my mum from over the fence that I could get my own back ! As with Pantene, it didn't happen overnight.
    Lloyd, Duryea, English, Suckling, Smith, Lipinski, Richards recent additions that show we are trying to rectify it and are aware it's an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Right footer, had a slight hook but it used to fade back a bit also. But I practised enough to know thats what happened if I did everything else correctly.
    I'm not saying it worked every time but it gave me a grounding in routine and confidence when guys were saying nice things about my mum from over the fence that I could get my own back ! As with Pantene, it didn't happen overnight.
    Lloyd, Duryea, English, Suckling, Smith, Lipinski, Richards recent additions that show we are trying to rectify it and are aware it's an issue.
    You gotta love those blokes who talk about your mum like they know her. One time playing cricket I chased a fielder. He'd overlooked the fact that I was the one wearing all the protection (pads, gloves, etc) and had a bat to use as a weapon. The funny thing was we sat down and chatted about it at the end of the day's play as if we had known each other for years!

Oh well like they say, what happens on the field stays on the field.

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We should get Macca back. All the players who hated him have gone.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    No thanks

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why?
    To challenge the status quo and challenge the players more. Perhaps to challenge the other coaches as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

To challenge the status quo and challenge the players more. Perhaps to challenge the other coaches as well
    Do you think that doesn't happen?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ugh. Pass. BIG pass. The same issues with players at the Dogs are with him at Melbourne.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you think that doesn't happen?
    Are you sure it does? The group isn't performing to their level so I think a change of approach and a different voice to work with Bevo is vital. We had issues with the alleged Party Boys and we have had a number of players since the flag that have failed to recapture their form. I think a fresh and firm voice could work well for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Thanks Rocco Jones thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Ugh. Pass. BIG pass. The same issues with players at the Dogs are with him at Melbourne.
    I was joking.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

19. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post