Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: The Number 3 Jumper in 2008?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Retire it for a Season

16 80.00%
  • Give it to someone like Griffen or Cooney

1 5.00%
  • Give to Everitt and start a new tradition

1 5.00%
  • Give it to Harris and be done with it

0 0%
  • None of the above

2 10.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The number 3 jumper for 2008?

I agree. At least one year retirement. When the time comes it'll be obvious who to give it to. Hopefully a 330 game premiership captain.

Palace03 Guest

Allow Grant to choose who gets it. Would love to see Griffen or Everitt wear the famous number 3, both have poise and class like the great man did.

Mingo Guest

Retire it. No rush. Wait for the right player to come along. If it takes 10 years, it takes 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Grant should pick who takes it after him. If he picks to retire it so be it.

Out of personal opinion, i think Williams would be a worthy wearer.

Post Thanks / Like

The poll indicates majority are in favour of retiring the number 3 for a year which isn't a surprise - shows great respect for the Great Man Grant and it deserves to be retired for 12 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBelle View Post
    The poll indicates majority are in favour of retiring the number 3 for a year which isn't a surprise - shows great respect for the Great Man Grant and it deserves to be retired for 12 months.
    You may think it shows respect for the Great Man, but if you know Chris well enough, you will know that he would want his number to worn next year by an up and coming champion.

Chris Grant is all about the team, not Chris Grant.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Why do people want to retire a number?

I thought you did that out of respect when someone died!
    TCD, personally I feel sorry for any kid that had to wear it next season. How much pressure to put on an young un?

Most players are probably unlikely to switch numbers, which means our no 1 draft pick will probably get it if we don't retire it. Imagine us taking Jarrod Grant at no 5 next year - a Grant wearing no 3, weight of expectation (for a skinny tall forward too) will crush him.

I voted a 1 season retirement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    TCD, personally I feel sorry for any kid that had to wear it next season. How much pressure to put on an young un?

Most players are probably unlikely to switch numbers, which means our no 1 draft pick will probably get it if we don't retire it. Imagine us taking Jarrod Grant at no 5 next year - a Grant wearing no 3, weight of expectation (for a skinny tall forward too) will crush him.

I voted a 1 season retirement.
    I agree that they'll probably face a heap of pressure, but I don't think that 1 year will make any difference to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    You may think it shows respect for the Great Man, but if you know Chris well enough, you will know that he would want his number to worn next year by an up and coming champion.
    Yes, he defintely is all about the team that is his character - but I still think it would be nice for the jumper to be retired for 12 months - the best player of our youngsters in 2008 to have the honour of wearing the No. 3 in 2009.

Crizza Guest

Retire the number for season, it is small sign of respect to Chris. There will be a player in the near future who will be able to carry the burden of wearing the clubs' most celebrated number.

Not sure who it will be, but similar to Granty back in the day, someone will emerge, and the 3 jumper can be awarded to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Like most, I voted for retire it for a season. That seems like an appropriate mark of respect for Chris even though he may not agree with the individuality of the action being the team player that he was. He then should be allowed to choose, or, at least, help choose, who would wear it in 2009.

My custom has always been to remove a player's picture badge from my footy scarf when they leave the club( I only wear six badges or so). However, Chris' will remain on my scarf until whenever. I'm really glad that he signed a mini-footy for me last year, the only signature I wanted on it. And the signature is in gold, just like the man.
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...