Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  58
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hamling a Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hamling a Dog

Took a couple of really tough marks on the weekend. One over Hogan if I remember correctly? That was sweet.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How good has Hamling been since he played his first game. Has been rarely beaten and plays like he is a veteran of the game. Hard to believe he has only played 7 AFL games.
    Once he learns how to use his elite pace to run off the opposition players he could potentially be a vastly better player. If he really devotes himself to footy he could just keep improving.

He's ahead of where I thought he might be in his first season with us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Took a couple of really tough marks on the weekend. One over Hogan if I remember correctly? That was sweet.
    Did you notice a couple of times he took off and made himself available, on his own almost on the wing. His confidence is growing and will be a good player for us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What I like is that although he is slight he competes really well in the air against the big guys and holds his ground well. Certainly punches above his weight in the contest which is attributed to his 3 years learning his trade against the likes of Hawkins. He's just so versatile.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    What I like is that although he is slight he competes really well in the air against the big guys and holds his ground well. Certainly punches above his weight in the contest which is attributed to his 3 years learning his trade against the likes of Hawkins. He's just so versatile.
    Played forward as well in the VFL so we can always switch him every now and then.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I'm a big fan, he is more mobile than Talia and Roberts and has good disposal - can kick it quite long and does not seem to get flustered. I think he, Roberts and Z Cordy and possibly Talia will be our KPD stalwarts in years to come.
    I reckon Talia is just about there too. With all 3 of the above (Hamling, Roberts, Talia) who have played senior footy, you can see there is still plenty of development to come.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

He is a chance to hold CHB down for the next five years at least. He seems to know when to stay and when to run down the ground.

I really wanted us to draft Fossie jr but if we gave his spot on the list to Hamling then I am very happy.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Once he learns how to use his elite pace to run off the opposition players he could potentially be a vastly better player. If he really devotes himself to footy he could just keep improving.

He's ahead of where I thought he might be in his first season with us.
    Are you hearing that this isn't the case at present?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Are you hearing that this isn't the case at present?
    I think I've mentioned it before but I believe football is a job for him and he isn't one to live football like so many other younger players. It's the reason why I believe he never got his chance at Geelong and why I think he has so much upside if he just dedicates himself to being the best player he can. He's don't a lot more than I expected of him this year and I think even a move to the forward line might be a possibility somewhere down the track.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone enlighten me please? What has happened to Hamling this year?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Can someone enlighten me please? What has happened to Hamling this year?
    I heard earlier in the year he was massively down on confidence which was a problem for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I heard earlier in the year he was massively down on confidence which was a problem for him.
    But we are coming into round 18, with finals likely for both teams. From best first year player 2015 to treading water for nearly a season has me stumped. As I ponder my list of candidates for delisting, he's for the first time made it into my seriously consider category. Which is staggering because he was probably the most likely first picked tall defender (after Morris) and is now firmly behind Adams, Morris & Roberts and arguably behind Cordy and lesser extent Collins. I wonder if he's in our plans if he doesn't turn his funk around?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    But we are coming into round 18, with finals likely for both teams. From best first year player 2015 to treading water for nearly a season has me stumped. As I ponder my list of candidates for delisting, he's for the first time made it into my seriously consider category. Which is staggering because he was probably the most likely first picked tall defender (after Morris) and is now firmly behind Adams, Morris & Roberts and arguably behind Cordy and lesser extent Collins. I wonder if he's in our plans if he doesn't turn his funk around?
    He might be a candidate. He doesn't live and breathe footy like so many others do so when you are down on form and confidence it makes the task of getting back into a side that is performing well so much harder.

I think we should or could give him some opportunities before the end of the season so that if he is needed during finals it's a bit easier to make the transition.

We haven't seen the best of him yet so it would a hard call in my opinion to let him go.

Post Thanks / Like

BT, is it just a matter of him being down the pecking order and missing out because we have preference for team defence and small defenders?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

He did well today and played forward at times . Took a great mark up forward in the last quarter
    Bring back the biff